Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423692 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1450 on: September 24, 2017, 04:14:23 pm »

I did, and I loved it.

I liked it a lot too and it got a lot of really good reviews.  I wonder if they'll continue it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1451 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:25 pm »
I liked it a lot too and it got a lot of really good reviews.  I wonder if they'll continue it.

Who knows.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1452 on: September 24, 2017, 07:24:19 pm »
The 10 Most Complex Sci-fi Movies of All Time

Mike Gray
Taste of Cinema
September 21, 2017

By its very nature, the sci-fi genre is relatively complex: the short stories, novels, TV series and films that comprise speculative fiction necessitate detailed expository passages to build its far-flung futures, reality-bending premises, and stories set in a galaxy far, far away.

Whether the story is set on an alien world populated by creatures markedly different from human beings, in a future separated by centuries or eons from the present in which society, technology, science, and civilization itself have evolved into a nearly unrecognizable state, or center around time or space travel, sci-fi stories require complex set-ups to create a believable reality that’s very different from our own.

Because of this, the sci-fi genre also allows for its stories to become quite complex. Time travel stories thrive on complexity while, depending on the story, other elements may be willfully obtuse to create an air of mystery or disorientation in the viewer–and some sci-fi stories are much more complex than others.

Here are 10 sci-fi films that are purposely complex ...

10. Predestination (2014) ...

9. The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976) ...

8. The Fountain (2006) ...

7. Coherence (2013) ...

6. Upstream Color (2013) ...

5. Primer (2004) ...

4. Inception (2010) ...

3. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension (1984) ...

2. Solaris (1972) ...

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) ...
Full article

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1453 on: September 24, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »
Can someone please tell me what the heck 2001 was about?  PLEASE   :laugh:

A space odyssey?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1454 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:15 pm »
Star Trek Discovery Live Thread

The original Star Trek series debuted on TV 51 years ago - September 8, 1966.

Since then it has spawned several movies and sequel / prequel series'.

Tonight, the latest series, Star Trek Discovery will premier at 8/7c on CBS, free.

As to the remaining episodes, you will have to pay for them on CBS All Access.

Will you want to continue watching and pay for it? Watch tonight's episode and decide for yourself.

For you folks in the Eastern and Central time zones, it begins in only a few minutes.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1455 on: September 24, 2017, 11:50:58 pm »

Tonight, the latest series, Star Trek Discovery will premier at 8/7c on CBS, free.

Will you want to continue watching and pay for it? Watch tonight's episode and decide for yourself.

For you folks in the Eastern and Central time zones, it begins in only a few minutes.
I'm already paying through my cable provider to see CBS programming.

I won't bother to watch a pilot of a show I won't be able to see again without shelling out more money to CBS.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1456 on: September 25, 2017, 01:14:23 am »

Continue watching?

ST burned out a couple decades ago.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1457 on: September 25, 2017, 02:26:26 am »

@240B

Then I'm not going to say a thing.. But in Season 3, a certain someone from Star Trek shows up.  I think that DS9 does copy of some elements of B5.

@kevindavis

HAHAHAHAHA!

S3:E9 Point of no Return
Nurse Chapel! What are you doing there? Is that you Lwaxana!? That did give me a laugh when I recognized her. Cool.

So, we have Chekov as a reoccurring figure in multiple seasons. And now Nurse Chapel shows up as the telepathic wife of the late Centauri Emperor.

Anyway. Thanks for that. It was a good chuckle. I've been watching for your hint. I finally got it.

By the way, great series. Very compelling. President Clark has just declared martial law. That the chapter I'm on in the series.

The only glaring things that bother me so far, are that the phasers look way, way, too much like a .38 revolver. And the sound leveling is off-the-charts nuts!

The show fluctuates wildly in volume. It frequently jumps from a whisper soft dialogue scene that I have to turn up the sound to hear, to a battle scene where the volume increases it seems like by 300% and it blows my TV off the wall. I literally have to watch the show with the remote in my hand to control the copious volume spikes.

I suppose when you have a show that is half whispery soap-opera bedroom dialogue, and half "Let's blow up the freakin' planet!", it is bound to happen. The director wants the intensity of low volume dialogue when people are getting serious and intimate with each other about one thing or another. But then he wants "blow your TV off the wall" sound effects when shit hits the fan and the BattleCruisers start blowing each other up.

Oh well. I'm used to it now. So, it doesn't surprise me anymore. In fact, now I'm able to anticipate it. LoL

Have a great night! I'm just chillin', drinking a beer, and diggin' on B5. That's my night anyway. Later
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:27:11 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1458 on: September 25, 2017, 02:41:12 am »
@kevindavis

HAHAHAHAHA!

S3:E9 Point of no Return
Nurse Chapel! What are you doing there? Is that you Lwaxana!? That did give me a laugh when I recognized her. Cool.

So, we have Chekov as a reoccurring figure in multiple seasons. And now Nurse Chapel shows up as the telepathic wife of the late Centauri Emperor.

Anyway. Thanks for that. It was a good chuckle. I've been watching for your hint. I finally got it.

By the way, great series. Very compelling. President Clark has just declared martial law. That the chapter I'm on in the series.

The only glaring things that bother me so far, are that the phasers look way, way, too much like a .38 revolver. And the sound leveling is off-the-charts nuts!

The show fluctuates wildly in volume. It frequently jumps from a whisper soft dialogue scene that I have to turn up the sound to hear, to a battle scene where the volume increases it seems like by 300% and it blows my TV off the wall. I literally have to watch the show with the remote in my hand to control the copious volume spikes.

I suppose when you have a show that is half whispery soap-opera bedroom dialogue, and half "Let's blow up the freakin' planet!", it is bound to happen. The director wants the intensity of low volume dialogue when people are getting serious and intimate with each other about one thing or another. But then he wants "blow your TV off the wall" sound effects when shit hits the fan and the BattleCruisers start blowing each other up.

Oh well. I'm used to it now. So, it doesn't surprise me anymore. In fact, now I'm able to anticipate it. LoL

Have a great night! I'm just chillin', drinking a beer, and diggin' on B5. That's my night anyway. Later

@240B

LOL!!!! Glad you figured it out!

Keep on enjoying it.. Glad you made it through Season 1, have a good night

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1459 on: September 25, 2017, 02:42:09 am »
Well I saw the first episodes of Star Trek Discovery, wow!!! It is totally different.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1460 on: September 25, 2017, 03:27:29 am »
Anyone else watch this on PBS? It's all about the Casini space probe the outlived all their wildest expectations,and spent years orbiting Saturn and it's moons and sending back data. It had a scheduled crash into the planet on Sept 15,so it's over now. Some of the NASA people on the show have spent the last 30 years working with and on this project.

Fascinating stuff,even if it's not Sci-Fe.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1461 on: September 25, 2017, 04:31:00 am »
I'm already paying through my cable provider to see CBS programming.

I won't bother to watch a pilot of a show I won't be able to see again without shelling out more money to CBS.

Same here.  I can wait (years if I have to) to watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline anubias

« Reply #1462 on: September 25, 2017, 05:28:11 am »
Same here.  I can wait (years if I have to) to watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Just google, then stream it.  *shrug*

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1463 on: September 25, 2017, 05:49:54 am »
Just google, then stream it.  *shrug*

Prefer watching on TV than computer.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1464 on: September 25, 2017, 05:57:26 am »
Prime on my kindle fire tablet brings up the same watchlist on my fire stick, so if I find it on one, it shows up on the other. I can chase it down on the tablet, and watch it on the teevee....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline anubias

« Reply #1465 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:28 am »
Most TVs these days have a built-in web browser to play them as well.  If your TV doesn't, you can stream it from your computer to the TV or even a smartphone will do it, but quality probably won't be as good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:07:34 am by anubias »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1466 on: September 30, 2017, 12:32:57 am »
Go90 has Almost Human streaming free if anyone's a fan:

https://www.go90.com/shows/almosthuman

Sure wish someone would pick that show up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1467 on: September 30, 2017, 12:36:41 am »

That is a strange thing to say, unless you live in 1960. My computer, my TV, my stereo, are all one system. I can put anything on my computer on my TV, or the other way around.

Your statement confuses and infuriates me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1468 on: September 30, 2017, 01:05:13 am »

That is a strange thing to say, unless you live in 1960. My computer, my TV, my stereo, are all one system. I can put anything on my computer on my TV, or the other way around.

Some of have Televisions that antedate streaming and have to use other setups to do that. I have family members who do not necessarily share my tastes or want to see what I am doing on the computer, so the two are separate. The tv screen is bigger and I can sit back in 'My Chair' and watch that, even if I am streaming content on the TV, or I can watch stuff on the computer, or even the Kindle Fire. It isn't all tied together.

Not sure why that would confuse or infuriate anyone.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1469 on: September 30, 2017, 03:08:33 am »

How I watch TV infuriates you?  I have a computer.  I have a TV with streaming.  They are not connected.  Is that a problem with you?

Now I have heard of odd ducks, but you take the cake.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1470 on: September 30, 2017, 04:02:51 am »
Easy fellers, there's plenty of topics here to argue about, but TV/Computer is the lamest of them all.   :laugh:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1471 on: September 30, 2017, 11:35:25 am »
Easy fellers, there's plenty of topics here to argue about, but TV/Computer is the lamest of them all.   :laugh:

He's the one infuriated

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1472 on: October 07, 2017, 07:24:51 pm »
For what it's worth, I gave the Orville a second chance and I have to confess I'm enjoying it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1473 on: October 07, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »
For what it's worth, I gave the Orville a second chance and I have to confess I'm enjoying it.

Same here.  It's gotten much better.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1474 on: October 07, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »
Phillip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is a British made science fiction anthology TV series based on the works of Philip K. Dick. It is currently being shown in the UK on Channel 4. Amazon Video will begin showing it in the US sometime in 2018.

Here is the trailer:
Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams – Official Trailer [HD] | Amazon Video

References:

Wikipedia

IMDb

Articles:

‘Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams’ 1st Trailer Asks What It Is To Be Human? – NY Comic-Con

Explore Philip K. Dick's crazy futures in 'Electric Dreams' trailer

Holy Crap, the Philip K. Dick Electric Dreams TV Series Looks Amazing

Just because you’re paranoid ... Philip K Dick’s troubled life

Several of his works have been adapted for the big and small screens including the films, Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:10:49 pm by Machiavelli »