Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423174 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1400 on: September 11, 2017, 05:21:40 pm »
I just found Babylon 5, all episodes, streaming and for FREE.

Check it out. https://www.go90.com/videos/9dcpZWjg5E4

I've had a desire to revisit the series for years. I've never had a chance to watch all the episodes in order, but I will now. This is pretty cool.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1401 on: September 11, 2017, 05:39:26 pm »
I just found Babylon 5, all episodes, streaming and for FREE.

Check it out. https://www.go90.com/videos/9dcpZWjg5E4

I've had a desire to revisit the series for years. I've never had a chance to watch all the episodes in order, but I will now. This is pretty cool.

That show changed Sci-Fi for the better. I already saw it again, and it still holds up. Well except for Season 1 and Season 5.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1402 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:33 pm »
It was a pilot which in my opinion tend to be the worst of any series.

Again this is from the creator of the "Family Guy" which is garbage.

Trey and Matt did a great parody of these dupes on South Park, where all their plots were randomly chosen by a manatee in tank with floating balls.  McFarlane is talentless tool.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1403 on: September 11, 2017, 07:16:21 pm »
Again this is from the creator of the "Family Guy" which is garbage.

Trey and Matt did a great parody of these dupes on South Park, where all their plots were randomly chosen by a manatee in tank with floating balls.  McFarlane is talentless tool.

While I don't care for McFarlane's attempts at comedy or SF, he does have a surprisingly good singing voice. He did the voice of the mouse character "Mike" in the animated film "Sing"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSv0rtOr1c
Let it burn.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1404 on: September 11, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »

That show changed Sci-Fi for the better. I already saw it again, and it still holds up. Well except for Season 1 and Season 5.
@kevindavis

Interesting stuff. Elements of DS9, or DS9 stole from Babylon, and definite traits of Battllestar Galactica. It is interesting. So far I'm diggin' it. Some elements of Star Trek too.

It seems to be like a stew, or a potpourri of all the Space shows of history.

There is no doubt that the people who wrote Capria were fans of Babylon. I have only seen a few episodes in my life, here and there, in no particular order. Looking forward to watching all 5 seasons. I like it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:00:53 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1405 on: September 11, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »
@kevindavis

Interesting stuff. Elements of DS9, or DS9 stole from Babylon, and definite traits of Battllestar Galactica. It is interesting. So far I'm diggin' it. Some elements of Star Trek too.

It seems to be like a stew, or a potpourri of all the Space shows of history.

There is no doubt that the people who wrote Capria were fans of Babylon. I have only seen a few episodes in my life, here and there, in no particular order. Looking forward to watching all 5 seasons. I like it.

@240B

Then I'm not going to say a thing.. But in Season 3, a certain someone from Star Trek shows up.  I think that DS9 does copy of some elements of B5.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1406 on: September 11, 2017, 11:06:40 pm »

@240B

Then I'm not going to say a thing.. But in Season 3, a certain someone from Star Trek shows up.  I think that DS9 does copy of some elements of B5.

Already there. S1 E6 Mind Wars - Chekov (Anton Yelchin) is the lead.

You're not alone in thinking that DS9 was taken from Babylon 5. Check this out from Wikipedia.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine controversy

The pilot episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) aired just weeks before Babylon 5 debuted. Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski indicated that Paramount Television was aware of his concept as early as 1989,[89] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and plot synopses for 22 "or so planned episodes taken from the overall course of the planned series".[90][91]

Paramount declined to produce Babylon 5, but later announced Deep Space Nine was in development, two months after Warner Bros. announced its plans for Babylon 5. Straczynski stated that, even though he was confident that Deep Space Nine producer/creators Rick Berman and Michael Piller had not seen this material, he suspected that Paramount executives used his bible and scripts to steer development of Deep Space Nine.[92][93][94]

He and Warner did not file suit against Paramount, largely because Straczynski didn't see it as a productive option, with negative repercussions for both TV series. In 1993 he responded to a Deep Space Nine fan who saw the lack of legal action as proof that Straczynski's allegation was unfounded, "If there is any (to use your term) winking and nudging going on, it's on the level of 'Okay, YOU (Paramount) know what happened, and *I* know what happened, but let's try to be grownup about it for now,' though I must say that the shapechanging thing nearly tipped me back over the edge again. If there are no more major similarities that crop up in the next few weeks or months, with luck we can continue that way."[94]

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1407 on: September 12, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »

You're not alone in thinking that DS9 was taken from Babylon 5. Check this out from Wikipedia.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine controversy

The pilot episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) aired just weeks before Babylon 5 debuted. Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski indicated that Paramount Television was aware of his concept as early as 1989,[89] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and plot synopses for 22 "or so planned episodes taken from the overall course of the planned series".[90][91]

Paramount declined to produce Babylon 5, but later announced Deep Space Nine was in development, two months after Warner Bros. announced its plans for Babylon 5. Straczynski stated that, even though he was confident that Deep Space Nine producer/creators Rick Berman and Michael Piller had not seen this material, he suspected that Paramount executives used his bible and scripts to steer development of Deep Space Nine.[92][93][94]

He and Warner did not file suit against Paramount, largely because Straczynski didn't see it as a productive option, with negative repercussions for both TV series. In 1993 he responded to a Deep Space Nine fan who saw the lack of legal action as proof that Straczynski's allegation was unfounded, "If there is any (to use your term) winking and nudging going on, it's on the level of 'Okay, YOU (Paramount) know what happened, and *I* know what happened, but let's try to be grownup about it for now,' though I must say that the shapechanging thing nearly tipped me back over the edge again. If there are no more major similarities that crop up in the next few weeks or months, with luck we can continue that way."[94]

Yep. Nice synopsis of the likely crappola. I know a lady in the 1980s who wrote a punk-vampire-movie script, tried to sell it, failed. Saw a wide-release movie where the first twenty minutes were lifted directly from her script without attribution to her. She spoke with an attorney whose first question was, "Did the movie that ripped you off make any money?" The answer was "no", the film lost money at the box office. He recommended that she drop it because there was nothing to be gained financially from winning the suit. 

"Hollywood is a long, plastic hallway - a shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs every day." - Hunter Thompson

As Cliff Robertson discovered, suing people successfully in H-Wood can often be a Pyrrhic victory.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:54:49 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1408 on: September 12, 2017, 04:07:26 pm »

Small correction, it was the original "Chekov", Walter Koenig, who appeared on Babylon 5 in the role of Bester.

I think the character @kevindavis was referring to appears in two episodes of Season 2 of Babylon 5, playing the leader of a certain faction of the Earth Alliance military.  In mid-Season 3 however it's announced that his character is dead. The reason his character was killed off was because the actor, Robert Foxworth, had been booked to appear on ST:DS9, and the filming schedule for DS9 conflicted with B5's filming schedule. Rather than schedule around it, J. Michael Straczynski (creator of B5) killed off his character.

There's a well known outtake included in the B5 Season 3 Gag Reel (which can be found on YouTube) where instead of the death of Foxworth's character, it's announced that his character couldn't appear because he was on Deep Space Nine... his agent double-booked him.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:09:09 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1409 on: September 12, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
Small correction, it was the original "Chekov", Walter Koenig, who appeared on Babylon 5 in the role of Bester.

I think the character @kevindavis was referring to appears in two episodes of Season 2 of Babylon 5, playing the leader of a certain faction of the Earth Alliance military.  In mid-Season 3 however it's announced that his character is dead. The reason his character was killed off was because the actor, Robert Foxworth, had been booked to appear on ST:DS9, and the filming schedule for DS9 conflicted with B5's filming schedule. Rather than schedule around it, J. Michael Straczynski (creator of B5) killed off his character.

There's a well known outtake included in the B5 Season 3 Gag Reel (which can be found on YouTube) where instead of the death of Foxworth's character, it's announced that his character couldn't appear because he was on Deep Space Nine... his agent double-booked him.  :laugh:

@240B
@Ghost Bear

Close but no cigar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:13:15 pm by kevindavis »

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1410 on: September 12, 2017, 04:27:04 pm »

Close but no cigar.

OK, now I'm all curious as to who you meant....   :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1411 on: September 12, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
OK, now I'm all curious as to who you meant....   :pondering:

Roddenberry

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1412 on: September 12, 2017, 04:43:28 pm »

Roddenberry

Oh... yes. Now I know what you meant.  ^-^
Let it burn.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1413 on: September 12, 2017, 04:45:02 pm »
@Ghost Bear
@kevindavis

Thanks for the correction, it explains much. While searching for Chekov, Google said, Chekov was killed by his own car. That should have been a big red flag that I had the 'new' Chekov, but I wasn't really paying attention. My fault.

It was a little confusing. I'm not used to all these new guys assuming characters from the early 60s. To me, there is only one Chekov. I guess I will have to be more awake now, when I post about Star Trek.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:50:16 pm by 240B »

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1414 on: September 12, 2017, 05:09:29 pm »
@Ghost Bear
@kevindavis

Thanks for the correction, it explains much. While searching for Chekov, Google said, Chekov was killed by his own car. That should have been a big red flag that I had the 'new' Chekov, but I wasn't really paying attention. My fault.

It was a little confusing. I'm not used to all these new guys assuming characters from the early 60s. To me, there is only one Chekov. I guess I will have to be more awake now, when I post about Star Trek.

No worries. Babylon 5 was my favorite show for a number of years, and even though I haven't seen a full episode in 10-15 years now, I was enough of an obsessive fan back then to still remember the characters, plot lines, and events pretty well.

I need to get out my DVD set and rip the episodes to my Plex server so that I can watch them whenever I feel like seeing them...
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1415 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:32 pm »
The new Star Trek theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYJ2dXKAIs

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1416 on: September 13, 2017, 12:10:17 am »
I saw the premier episode of The Orville last night. Using the standard four star (****) critic scale, I gave it one star  (*).

Maybe it will get better as the series progresses (or maybe the episode will get better if I rewatch it).

The audience, overall, liked it:

Metacritic

Rotten Tomatoes

I was going to ask if anyone saw it. The first episode is free on iTunes. I downloaded it but haven't viewed it yet.

Ok it's several hours. Later I've seen it. It wasn't the worst I've ever seen but it wasn't the best. I'll give it one more shot and if it doesn't improve bye bye
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:12:20 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1417 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1419 on: September 14, 2017, 07:55:30 pm »
Watching B5 S1 E17. I am so glad I happened onto that site. This is cool.
My TV supports casting, but I also have a direct HDMI link. The go90 website supports casting if you rightclick on the video. So, I've got the full picture and surround sound.

In reference to our earlier discussion, B5 is why DS9 invented the wormhole. It is exactly the same as the jump-port in B5. So, is does look more and more like DS9 is derived from Babylon. And to me, it looks like the jump fighters and the fact that all the main characters are fighter pilots was lifted from Battlestar G.

That's just my simple take on it. Any comments or corrections are always welcome.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1420 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:13 pm »
Watching B5 S1 E17. I am so glad I happened onto that site. This is cool.
My TV supports casting, but I also have a direct HDMI link. The go90 website supports casting if you rightclick on the video. So, I've got the full picture and surround sound.

In reference to our earlier discussion, B5 is why DS9 invented the wormhole. It is exactly the same as the jump-port in B5. So, is does look more and more like DS9 is derived from Babylon. And to me, it looks like the jump fighters and the fact that all the main characters are fighter pilots was lifted from Battlestar G.

That's just my simple take on it. Any comments or corrections are always welcome.

I think you're right. One of the reasons I did like B5 is it it did have a bit of a Galactica feel to it, even if in reverse somewhat.
The Republic is lost.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1421 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:55 pm »
I think you're right. One of the reasons I did like B5 is it it did have a bit of a Galactica feel to it, even if in reverse somewhat.

@Free Vulcan

B5 does seem to be an amalgam of several different shows. For example, B5 is following verbatim, the A-plot, B-plot, story structure which was instituted by TNG, e.g., A-plot: a meteor is going to blow up a friendly planet; B-plot: Data wants to understand why humans laugh.

B5 is using this format. In the B5 episode I just watched - A-plot: a famous Minbari's body has gone missing which may lead to war; B-plot: A newly discovered telepath must decide whether or not to join Psi-corps. It's the same format.

And, in agreement with your post, I got that space-opera Battlestar feeling right away. It is its own show with a unique storyline, but at the same time, it strikes me a being familiar and comfortable. It makes me think of what a composite show would look like if you threw them all in a pot, and made a Sci-Fi space soup.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:22:29 pm by 240B »

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1423 on: September 17, 2017, 12:40:29 am »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1424 on: September 18, 2017, 01:50:53 pm »
How To Watch ‘Star Trek: Discovery’
https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/15/how-to-watch-star-trek-discovery/

Do you think there is even a remote chance the it will be free of political bull snot !?!
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)