Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423161 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1250 on: July 27, 2017, 03:56:04 pm »

I agree it should have been.. There is no guarantee that the AI would catch all of the problems.When it comes to space travel always have a Plan B.  As for what the male character did to the female character, to me that was murder and I saw there was some complaints about it and know what I agree with them.

@kevindavis

You,and they,are wrong. IF he hadn't awakened the woman and the ships officer to help him,he would not have been able to save the ship,and they ALL would have died. NO one person will ever be able to have the physical ability or the knowledge to make essential in-flight repairs on a ship that size,or to even do all the maintenance required. He,IN FACT,saved her life,as well as the lives of everyone else.

It was.. I think for an ideal interstellar travel mission, the should be like the Avalon in Passengers, and have a rotating crew like Pandorum. Also, have a backup in case to prevent the people from being awake early if the captain or whoever is in command goes bonkers.

On an actual colonization mission,yes,but in this case it would have destroyed the key points the movie was filmed around. Namely the moral dilemma that would be faced by anyone forced to live completely without any human contact whatsoever,and in the case of one that has the ability to wake someone in hibernation to fix that problem. Then they have the emotional and physical problems those two would have creating a life based around just the two of them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:57:08 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1251 on: July 29, 2017, 09:26:40 am »
I found a really good read the other day in the library. Read it in one sitting after a few pages couldn't put it down.

"We are Legion,  we are Bob". By Dennis Taylor

There are two more books in the series. It's newish I know but it's a good read. Funny-ish too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:28:02 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1252 on: July 29, 2017, 11:44:37 am »
I found a really good read the other day in the library. Read it in one sitting after a few pages couldn't put it down.

There are two more books in the series. It's newish I know but it's a good read. Funny-ish too.

@Freya

Remember "A wrinkle in time"?

I remember it from my youth and that it seemed to have a strong anti totalitarian theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3bYBPlR2g

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1253 on: July 29, 2017, 01:24:15 pm »
@Freya

I remember it from my youth and that it seemed to have a strong anti totalitarian theme.

That was my favorite book I read in 5th grade. I did not know they made it into a movie. I'll pass - I generally don't like movies made from beloved (fiction) books.

Oh they got Oprah in it. I'll definitely not see it. The girl who plays Meg looks nice but, no... not Oprah... no...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:28:08 pm by Freya »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1254 on: July 29, 2017, 01:27:21 pm »
That was my favorite book I read in 5th grade. I did not know they made it into a movie. I'll pass - I generally don't like movies made from beloved (fiction) books.

Its been a looong time since I read it but I recall the ominous "IT" that controlled all things from a great black cube of a building.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1255 on: July 29, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »
Its been a looong time since I read it but I recall the ominous "IT" that controlled all things from a great black cube of a building.

Yep. That's Oprah.  :silly:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1256 on: July 29, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
Yep. That's Oprah.  :silly:

Oprah lives in the Qaaba?

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1257 on: July 29, 2017, 01:37:46 pm »
Oh no. I was trying to make a joke.

The only one I could think of frankly was the monolith from 2001.

And that's not a cube, is it. Your answer is better. If you stripped the gold off, yes, yours is better.

I need a cup of coffee to get my brain started.

I'm not funny today
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:38:41 pm by Freya »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1258 on: July 29, 2017, 08:07:01 pm »
@Freya

My recollection was the theme was so anti totalitarian that it ran towards the other extreme, I still enjoyed it and passed it to my nephews and nieces.
Actually the extreme view was expressed more in the sequels as I think about it
:pondering:

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #1260 on: July 31, 2017, 03:42:41 pm »

@Freya
I recently listened to the first "Bobiverse" book on Audible, and I enjoyed it, too.  I haven't continued with the series (yet), though.  Have you?  Let me know what you think if you did or eventually do!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1261 on: July 31, 2017, 04:00:59 pm »
@Freya
I recently listened to the first "Bobiverse" book on Audible, and I enjoyed it, too.  I haven't continued with the series (yet), though.  Have you?  Let me know what you think if you did or eventually do!

I ❤️ Audible!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #1262 on: July 31, 2017, 04:14:27 pm »
I ❤️ Audible!

Me, too!  It makes time spent working out go by really quickly!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1263 on: July 31, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »
Spouse and I watched the Star Wars movie "Rogue One" on Netflix Saturday night. It was ok.  :shrug:

Not SF-related, but we "Hacksaw Ridge" on HBO on Demand Sunday night. Now that was a really good movie!
Let it burn.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1264 on: August 01, 2017, 10:05:33 pm »
I just posted the following on another thread and thought fans here might like to take a look.  Not great literature, but fun and anti-totalitarian:

A good science fiction story, Tangle Hold, by F.L. Wallace, had the police using "non-lethal" guns that fired a polymer net that constricted with struggling. 

I don't think I'm spoiling too much to say that when not being observed, the police would fire into the mouth and involuntary peristaltic action tightened the threads... so much for "non-lethal".

Click the cover image or here for Project Gutenberg link.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1265 on: August 02, 2017, 12:42:33 am »
Spouse and I watched the Star Wars movie "Rogue One" on Netflix Saturday night. It was ok.  :shrug:

Not SF-related, but we "Hacksaw Ridge" on HBO on Demand Sunday night. Now that was a really good movie!

@Ghost Bear

I haven't watched any of the Star Wars movies since the firs two,but I did watch Hacksaw Ridge for free last night on HBO,and it is one of the most impressive movies ever. I remember hearing and reading about this guy back when I was in the army in the 60's,but nothing really brings out the stunning determination and courage he had like seeing it and hearing it. True,it was just a movie,but anybody that has ever been involved in ground combat can tell you it was very realistic.

To think that guy single-handily crawled around that bluff all night and rescued 75 soldiers that had been wounded and left for dead is nothing short of stunning. I recommend this movie to anyone who wonders what the words "character" and "courage" really mean.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1266 on: August 02, 2017, 02:21:18 am »
@Ghost Bear

I haven't watched any of the Star Wars movies since the firs two,but I did watch Hacksaw Ridge for free last night on HBO,and it is one of the most impressive movies ever. I remember hearing and reading about this guy back when I was in the army in the 60's,but nothing really brings out the stunning determination and courage he had like seeing it and hearing it. True,it was just a movie,but anybody that has ever been involved in ground combat can tell you it was very realistic.

To think that guy single-handily crawled around that bluff all night and rescued 75 soldiers that had been wounded and left for dead is nothing short of stunning. I recommend this movie to anyone who wonders what the words "character" and "courage" really mean.

Yes, the movie portrayed it quite well, imho. It was awe-inspiring.
Let it burn.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1267 on: August 02, 2017, 02:21:19 am »
@Ghost Bear

I liked how Mel Gibson included an interview with the real guy (who died last year I believe) in which he became a real person for us, not just a caricature (larger than life, therefore less than a real person). I also liked how Gibson managed to convey (at least to me) how the principle made his choice about not killing people. It was clear that he did not consider killing the enemy to be wrong, so much as wrong FOR HIM. He felt that God had spoken clearly TO HIM about his personal path, which for me sums up the true essence of Christianity - that each of us may establish a personal relationship with almighty God and walk the path that He makes clear to us as our lives unfold.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:24:08 am by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1268 on: August 02, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
I liked how Mel Gibson included an interview with the real guy (who died last year I believe) in which he became a real person for us, not just a caricature (larger than life, therefore less than a real person). I also liked how Gibson managed to convey (at least to me) how the principle made his choice about not killing people. It was clear that he did not consider killing the enemy to be wrong, so much as wrong FOR HIM. He felt that God had spoken clearly TO HIM about his personal path, which for me sums up the true essence of Christianity - that each of us may establish a personal relationship with almighty God and walk the path that He makes clear to us as our lives unfold.

@LateForLunch

Amen!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1269 on: August 04, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »
'The Dark Tower' is getting poor reviews, here's 7 great Stephen King movies

Steve Tilley
Canoe
August 4, 2017

... The Dark Tower is taking a serious drubbing, and many diehard King fans are similarly displeased with how the movie turned out. But let’s be honest, this isn’t exactly the first film adaptation of a Stephen King book to lay an egg. Children of the Corn, anyone? Maximum Overdrive? The Lawnmower Man?

Fortunately, King’s cinematic oeuvre is chockablock with movies that are actually good. If you were let down by The Dark Tower – or you plan to give it a miss entirely – here are seven great Stephen King movies that you can stream or digitally rent from the comfort of your own haunted house...
Full article
  • Carrie (1976)
  • Misery (1990)
  • Stand by Me (1986)
  • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
  • The Dead Zone (1983)
  • It (1990)
  • The Shining (1980)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1270 on: August 05, 2017, 02:58:55 am »
Well I saw the Arrival with Amy Adams.. It was boring as hell..

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1271 on: August 05, 2017, 04:40:11 am »
Well I saw the Arrival with Amy Adams.. It was boring as hell..

Yes, I know people who saw it who said the same thing. Based on that I steered clear of paying to see it. Although I may check it out of the library if I'm bored and watch it for free some day just out of curiosity. This appears to be one of those movies that people either loved or hated, but not much in the middle.

I noted some controversy at one point on Rotten Tomatoes chat rooms. There was some discussion that the high RT "fresh" rating it received (94%) might have been paid for by corrupt studio agents, not rendered from actual reviews from objective opinions. On that I have no comment except to say if the studios thought they could get away with something like that, would they do it? Yep. Absolutely no question. We are talking about a lot of cabbage on the line so yeah, the motivation is there for sure.

All major film studio senior executives must have an operation performed to surgically remove their conscience before they are given their jobs. If there was enough money at stake, any one of them would (as the saying goes) gladly cut their mother's throats, whistling. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:45:47 am by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #1272 on: August 05, 2017, 08:07:55 am »
Odd, I enjoyed it, very much.  :shrug: Like thoughtful movies from time to time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1273 on: August 05, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
Odd, I enjoyed it, very much.  :shrug: Like thoughtful movies from time to time.

As do I.. But this wasn't one of them..

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1274 on: August 05, 2017, 03:36:59 pm »
Well I guess CBS Salavation is going to canceled..  Nice concept...