Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423161 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1175 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:49 pm »
This is such an awesome story.  Here's a picture of Whyte (who isn't)

Two black homeless guys fighting -- not over drugs, or women, or "respect", but whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars.  Just destroying all those stereotypes in one moment of glorious fisticuffs.

Plus, the Batman videogame angle!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1176 on: July 13, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »
Plus, the Batman videogame angle!

Cue up that Vulcan music from that pon far episode with Spock.
@Suppressed
@Hopalong Ginsberg

Full disclosure- I'm a Trekkie

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:39:44 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1177 on: July 13, 2017, 08:39:13 pm »
Cue up that Vulcan music from that pon far episode with Spock.

It's on YouTube of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4wAnvfM4M
Let it burn.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1179 on: July 13, 2017, 09:56:03 pm »
Agreed.  I miss the actual book, but I have learned to appreciate as I age, the ability to increase the font size.
LOL! True, that!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1180 on: July 13, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »
This is such an awesome story.  Here's a picture of Whyte (who isn't)

Two black homeless guys fighting -- not over drugs, or women, or "respect", but whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars.  Just destroying all those stereotypes in one moment of glorious fisticuffs.

@Cripplecreek
Progress. It coulda been over a crack ho'.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1181 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:00 pm »
Anyone else feel like having a discussion of their favorite SF/Fantasy author and/or written work, published prior to 1970?  Let's go old school!   :amen:
Let it burn.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1182 on: July 14, 2017, 12:14:08 am »
Anyone else feel like having a discussion of their favorite SF/Fantasy author and/or written work, published prior to 1970?  Let's go old school!   :amen:

If you'll let me get by with one published in 1970, but based on a 1967 short story, Tau Zero hands down.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #1183 on: July 14, 2017, 12:21:19 am »
And of course Fahrenheit 451 (1953).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1184 on: July 14, 2017, 12:37:06 am »
And of course Fahrenheit 451 (1953).
I cut my sci-fi teeth on Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and HG Wells' War of the Worlds and The Time Machine. After that, Asimov's short stories (I Robot, Nightfall) then The Foundation Trilogy, Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom books, Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and almost anything by Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft.
Tolkein landed in there somewhere, but I never considered the Lord of the Rings to be Sci-fi, nor CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, for some reason. Crighton's The Andromeda Strain and Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey followed.
From there it was off to the races with Herbert's The Eyes of Heisenberg, Dune (The trilogy, but the first book is best) and then discovered Bean Books, with John Ringo, David Weber, and others...I'm still catching up.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:37:52 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

« Reply #1185 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:29 am »
I'll finish up a Lovecraft binge tonight.  Never read him before.  I'm not impressed.  Every story is like, "that's it?"

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1186 on: July 14, 2017, 01:54:12 am »
If you'll let me get by with one published in 1970, but based on a 1967 short story, Tau Zero hands down.

Yes, Tau Zero by Poul Anderson is one of the classics, no doubt! Hard SF, and a great example of a "Big Idea" story. Although I found the "Flying Dutchman" aspect to be kind of horrifying...  :scared smiley:
Let it burn.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1187 on: July 14, 2017, 02:01:41 am »
Tolkein landed in there somewhere, but I never considered the Lord of the Rings to be Sci-fi, nor CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, for some reason.

Well no, both are fantasy, not SF, but I still love LotR, parts of The Silmarillion, and The Hobbit. I've never read any of the Narnia books though.
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1188 on: July 14, 2017, 02:09:51 am »
Well no, both are fantasy, not SF, but I still love LotR, parts of The Silmarillion, and The Hobbit. I've never read any of the Narnia books though.

The Narnia books were very good.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1189 on: July 14, 2017, 02:40:27 am »
The Narnia books were very good.

I have no doubt, but for some reason I've never had an interest in reading them.   :shrug:

I asked everyone else for their favorite but didn't share my own... an author who is largely forgotten now, except for his "Amber" books, Roger Zelazny. His early short stories especially just blow me away. My favorite novel is his "Lord of Light", published in 1967.  I have the 6-volume collection of his short stories published by NESFA Press, in hardcover... I just wish that I had them in e-book form so that I could read them over and over without ruining the physical books.
Let it burn.

« Reply #1190 on: July 14, 2017, 03:18:44 am »
I'll finish up a Lovecraft binge tonight.  Never read him before.  I'm not impressed.  Every story is like, "that's it?"

Spoke too soon, I liked the last story, "The Thing on the Doorstep".

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1191 on: July 14, 2017, 05:30:08 am »
I have no doubt, but for some reason I've never had an interest in reading them.   :shrug:

I asked everyone else for their favorite but didn't share my own... an author who is largely forgotten now, except for his "Amber" books, Roger Zelazny. His early short stories especially just blow me away. My favorite novel is his "Lord of Light", published in 1967.  I have the 6-volume collection of his short stories published by NESFA Press, in hardcover... I just wish that I had them in e-book form so that I could read them over and over without ruining the physical books.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_7?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=roger+zelazny+kindle+books&sprefix=Roger+z%2Cdigital-text%2C420&crid=129JRTG88DAOS
Six pages of his stuff on Kindle....okay, not so much, but a couple before it goes off the rails on the search.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:32:41 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1192 on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:31 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_7?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=roger+zelazny+kindle+books&sprefix=Roger+z%2Cdigital-text%2C420&crid=129JRTG88DAOS
Six pages of his stuff on Kindle....okay, not so much, but a couple before it goes off the rails on the search.

Yes... I do that search every Monday, as I'm waiting for the fifth book of the Amber series (The Courts of Chaos) to be released in e-book form. But I actually meant The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, which is a 6-volume series collecting every short story he ever published, and a few that weren't published. It has a lot of material that hasn't (yet) made it into e-book form.
Let it burn.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #1193 on: July 14, 2017, 01:33:20 pm »

:thumbsup:

Tau Zero is my favorite Anderson story, closely followed by Queen of Air and Darkness

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1194 on: July 14, 2017, 01:47:48 pm »
During the summer between 4th and 5th grade, my librarian gave me a book called "R is for Rocket" by Ray Bradbury. I read it in one day, then got "S is for Space". Then I read the whole Bradbury canon that summer. So he was my favorite SF writer.

Then she had me read "Flowers for Algernon" and then we started at the beginning of the alphabet with Asimov until 8th grade when I ended up with Zelazny. Then I just pretty much tried to stay on top of everything new until I went to college.

Not a fan of Lovecraft, though I appreciate him as a writer. I like the stuff from the 40s and 50s best, but of the modern ones I like John Scalzi. I loved his book "Agent to the Stars"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:48:27 pm by Freya »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #1195 on: July 14, 2017, 01:54:15 pm »
During the summer between 4th and 5th grade, my librarian gave me a book called "R is for Rocket" by Ray Bradbury. I read it in one day, then got "S is for Space". Then I read the whole Bradbury canon that summer. So he was my favorite SF writer.

Then she had me read "Flowers for Algernon" and then we started at the beginning of the alphabet with Asimov until 8th grade when I ended up with Zelazny. Then I just pretty much tried to stay on top of everything new until I went to college.

Not a fan of Lovecraft, though I appreciate him as a writer. I like the stuff from the 40s and 50s best, but of the modern ones I like John Scalzi. I loved his book "Agent to the Stars"

Phillip K Dick is a personal favorite of mine. He probably had more books and short stories made into movies than any other Sci Fi writer.

His 1952 short "Beyond lies the Wub" is fun.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28554/28554-h/28554-h.htm

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #1196 on: July 14, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »

It's sitting next to my chair right now. Getting a bit tattered - I've read this copy maybe two dozen times, all the kids read it, most of the grandkids have now read it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1197 on: July 14, 2017, 03:15:09 pm »

I think I read Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" and "The Illustrated Man" short story collections when I got to high school. Someone had donated their paperback book collection to the high school library, and it included a lot of science fiction and fantasy books. I loved those two Bradbury collections, but I couldn't get into his other works... I think at the time I was much more into "hard" SF and his stories always had a softer feel to them. That's also when I found and read Asimov, Heinlein, McCaffrey, and a lot of other SF authors. And eventually I even broke down and started reading fantasy works, and found I could enjoy them too.  ^-^
Let it burn.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #1198 on: July 14, 2017, 03:35:28 pm »
but of the modern ones I like John Scalzi. I loved his book "Agent to the Stars"

:3:

@ Freya, there are much, much better writers working today than Scalzi. I have not been impressed by his stuff and refuse to waste my money on any more of his dreck. He is also a nasty, smarmy little passive-aggressive POS.

Peter Grant, Sarah Hoyt, Brad Torgenson, Larry Corriea, John Ringo, and Michael Z. Williamson are head and shoulders above Scalzi.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1199 on: July 14, 2017, 03:42:30 pm »
:3:

@ Freya, there are much, much better writers working today than Scalzi. I have not been impressed by his stuff and refuse to waste my money on any more of his dreck. He is also a nasty, smarmy little passive-aggressive POS.

Peter Grant, Sarah Hoyt, Brad Torgenson, Larry Corriea, John Ringo, and Michael Z. Williamson are head and shoulders above Scalzi.

I loved Larry Corriea's "Hard Magic" trilogy. I've recently read the first two books of Sarah Hoyt's "Darkship" series, and I'm going to be buying the third as soon as my pocketbook allows me to.
Let it burn.