Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423900 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1150 on: July 03, 2017, 01:49:12 am »
Watching Serenity on SyFy.

Online kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online kevindavis007

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1153 on: July 05, 2017, 12:49:16 am »
Good to see Fringe at number 12.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1156 on: July 07, 2017, 03:00:01 pm »
Happy Heinlein Day everyone!   :seeya:  :patriot:
Let it burn.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #1157 on: July 07, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #1158 on: July 09, 2017, 03:24:23 pm »
As I'm watching SGU again... It had the potential of being one of the best shows of the Stargate Franchise.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1159 on: July 09, 2017, 03:38:33 pm »
Finally watched "Moon" yesterday.

Interesting flick. I'm not real sure I understand what caused GERTY to help Sam.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #1160 on: July 10, 2017, 12:05:11 am »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1161 on: July 10, 2017, 05:47:32 am »
Speaking of Heinlein, as I recall he wrote a great novel/short story called the Gun Shop and I have never been able to find it in many years of searching. Anyone have any idea where that story can be found?
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #1162 on: July 10, 2017, 11:53:02 am »
Speaking of Heinlein, as I recall he wrote a great novel/short story called the Gun Shop and I have never been able to find it in many years of searching. Anyone have any idea where that story can be found?

Doesn't sound familiar as a Heinlein story, but maybe it's The Weapon Shops of Isher by A.E. van Vogt?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:54:39 am by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #1163 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46:29 pm »
Possibly most intense Star Wars v. Star Trek argument ever ends in arrest

"He was saying Spock was the shit and I was saying Yoda was the shit."

An Oklahoma City man was arrested last Saturday after police responded to a domestic disturbance in the force (or perhaps a rip in space-time): two roommates were arguing over whether Star Wars or Star Trek was the better movie, and things got too intense.

A police report provided to Ars does not specify precisely which of the myriad movies and/or shows the men were griping about. However, it does say that during the argument, the victim, Bradley Warren Burk, went back to his room in the same building. (The two men, who Burk said were not friends, but merely acquaintances, live at a " transitional living program and emergency shelter for homeless young men.")

As he did so, Burk told his neighbor, 23-year-old Jerome Dewayne Whyte, that Whyte was "just a trick."

This angered Whyte, who next shouted back at him, "you wanna replay that?!?!" as he shoved Burk to the ground. Whyte began choking Burk, which resulted in Burk falling in and out of consciousness. In the scuffle, Burk reached for a nearby pocket knife to "defend himself." Whyte seemingly tried to grab it away and managed to cut himself, at which point he retreated.

Whyte was charged with assault and battery and possession of marijuana. He was taken to county jail.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/possibly-most-intense-star-wars-v-star-trek-argument-ever-ends-in-arrest/

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #1164 on: July 12, 2017, 02:14:45 am »
Doesn't sound familiar as a Heinlein story, but maybe it's The Weapon Shops of Isher by A.E. van Vogt?

EUREAKA!!! THAT'S IT!!! Van Vogt's The Weapon Shop is IT!!! Ghost Bear is on my Christmas List now!!! Thank you, my brother. You have brought me joy in abundance!!! That story is right up there with Heinlein's best IMO, which is why I no doubt got confused.

BTW anyone who likes great conservative fiction who hasn't read that story is in for a real treat. 'Can't easily thank you enough GB!! MASSIVE kodos on your depth of knowledge of SF!!
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #1165 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:20 am »
EUREAKA!!! THAT'S IT!!! Van Vogt's The Weapon Shop is IT!!! Ghost Bear is on my Christmas List now!!! Thank you, my brother. You have brought me joy in abundance!!! That story is right up there with Heinlein's best IMO, which is why I no doubt got confused.

BTW anyone who likes great conservative fiction who hasn't read that story is in for a real treat. 'Can't easily thank you enough GB!! MASSIVE kodos on your depth of knowledge of SF!!

You're welcome, glad to have helped!  "The Weapon Shops" is one of the classics of SF for sure.

"The right to own weapons is the right to be free!" 

:amen:
Let it burn.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #1166 on: July 12, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »

Offline thackney

« Reply #1167 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:58 pm »

Hardcover edition is rather dear:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006ASRSG/ref=tmm_hrd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

Also there is a Book 2, The Weapon Makers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016DENSXM?ref=series_rw_dp_labf
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:23:03 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #1168 on: July 13, 2017, 03:28:49 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006ASRSG/ref=tmm_hrd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

I have a copy of this edition, which I think I got through the SF Book Club (I was still a member back then.)
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1169 on: July 13, 2017, 05:11:52 pm »

That's for one in new condition. You can get a very good used with DJ for about $80. (same site)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1170 on: July 13, 2017, 05:14:04 pm »
That's for one in new condition. You can get a very good used with DJ for about $80. (same site)

Kindle is $3.99.  I bought book 1&2.  Maybe by next year I'll get to them.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #1171 on: July 13, 2017, 05:23:47 pm »
Since we're talking about van Vogt, I can also recommend his novel Slan as another classic.  I haven't read The World of Null-A (yet) so I can't personally recommend it, but most folks count it as a classic as well.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1172 on: July 13, 2017, 06:12:38 pm »
Kindle is $3.99.  I bought book 1&2.  Maybe by next year I'll get to them.
I like Kindle, and use mine a lot, but it just doesn't smell the same...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #1173 on: July 13, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »
I like Kindle, and use mine a lot, but it just doesn't smell the same...

Agreed.  I miss the actual book, but I have learned to appreciate as I age, the ability to increase the font size.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1174 on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:12 pm »
Possibly most intense Star Wars v. Star Trek argument ever ends in arrest

"He was saying Spock was the shit and I was saying Yoda was the shit."

An Oklahoma City man was arrested last Saturday after police responded to a domestic disturbance in the force (or perhaps a rip in space-time): two roommates were arguing over whether Star Wars or Star Trek was the better movie, and things got too intense.

A police report provided to Ars does not specify precisely which of the myriad movies and/or shows the men were griping about. However, it does say that during the argument, the victim, Bradley Warren Burk, went back to his room in the same building. (The two men, who Burk said were not friends, but merely acquaintances, live at a " transitional living program and emergency shelter for homeless young men.")

As he did so, Burk told his neighbor, 23-year-old Jerome Dewayne Whyte, that Whyte was "just a trick."

This angered Whyte, who next shouted back at him, "you wanna replay that?!?!" as he shoved Burk to the ground. Whyte began choking Burk, which resulted in Burk falling in and out of consciousness. In the scuffle, Burk reached for a nearby pocket knife to "defend himself." Whyte seemingly tried to grab it away and managed to cut himself, at which point he retreated.

Whyte was charged with assault and battery and possession of marijuana. He was taken to county jail.

This is such an awesome story.  Here's a picture of Whyte (who isn't)

Two black homeless guys fighting -- not over drugs, or women, or "respect", but whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars.  Just destroying all those stereotypes in one moment of glorious fisticuffs.

@Cripplecreek

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:41:52 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »