Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423180 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #900 on: April 14, 2017, 10:25:33 pm »

I think sooner.. Also, I hope the UN isn't running things..

@kevindavis

I am late to this discussion and have no idea what has been established as fact for dramatic purposes on the show,but I do know some of the absolutely astounding advancements that have been made in just the last 100 years,and I also understand that each new discovery is due to knowledge gained from and piggy-backing off of previous discoveries,and these things tend to happen VERY quickly compared to earlier time frames. Put plainly,"we" know more,and when you know more making new discoveries is easier because your mind has been opened to new possibilities as well as expanded by understanding new technology and knowledge.

Never mind 200  years,if any of us alive today were to come out of a cryogenic tank a mere 100 years from now we would be the intellectual equivalent of Neanderthals.

Providing of course we don't blow our selves up first,or inflict mob rule via democracy over the whole planet. Democracies HATE new technology because democracies ARE government by mob rule,and mobs don't like it when someone is smarter and more ambitious than they are,and their punishments for individual achievements can be ruthless.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:28:45 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #901 on: April 14, 2017, 10:31:09 pm »

I think sooner.. Also, I hope the UN isn't running things..

@kevindavis

If the UN ends up running things there will be NO technological advancements,only retreats as they try to be tribesmen from Borneo the equivalent of MIT grads,and concentrate on leveling all playing fields so nobody fails. If nobody fails,by definition nobody succeeds.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #902 on: April 14, 2017, 10:34:37 pm »
@Machiavelli

Under Gilead’s police state, households are composed of high-status Wives; domestic Marthas; and the titular Handmaids, fertile women who are forced to bear children through ritualized sexual encounters with the household’s male “Commander.”

We're all going to be Mormons?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #903 on: April 14, 2017, 10:37:03 pm »

Mystery Science Theater 3000 returns: Watch the first trailer

In the not too distant future — April 14, to be exact — Mystery Science Theater 3000, the beloved cult TV show, will make its triumphant return to Netflix for a 12 14-episode run.

@Ghost Bear

I have been getting old episodes for free by pulling them in off my HD antenna. One of the local broadcast stations airs them.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #904 on: April 14, 2017, 10:40:33 pm »
@Ghost Bear

I have been getting old episodes for free by pulling them in off my HD antenna. One of the local broadcast stations airs them.

Well that's cool. I've been thinking of getting an HD antenna just to see what it can pick up. Supposedly, there should be a good selection of stations to choose from in my area.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:41:08 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #905 on: April 14, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »
Well that's cool. I've been thinking of getting an HD antenna just to see what it can pick up. Supposedly, there should be a good selection of stations to choose from in my area.
@Ghost Bear

I have bought 3 RCA HDTV antennas from Amazon for 46 bucks each. One for my home,one for my workshop,and one as a gift for a sick friend that can't afford cable or sat service.

With my old pre-sat/pre-hd antenna I pulled in 5 stations,if the weather was right. With the new HD antenna,I pull in 39 channels at the house,and 43 at the shop. It is an antenna rated to pick up stations up to 50 miles away,and the channels closest to me are 54 miles away. I get more channels in the shop because the antenna is mounted higher.

BTW,the RCA antenna is Made in America,and the price has increased to around 65 bucks each in the last 2 years. Still a hell of a bargain for what you get,though.

BTW-2, when you buy one,go to this web site to find out where your closest stations are located,and get a compass azimuth so you know where to point it for the best reception.

http://www.tvfool.com/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:49:14 pm by sneakypete »

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #906 on: April 14, 2017, 10:54:01 pm »
@Ghost Bear

I have bought 3 RCA HDTV antennas from Amazon for 46 bucks each. One for my home,one for my workshop,and one as a gift for a sick friend that can't afford cable or sat service.

With my old pre-sat/pre-hd antenna I pulled in 5 stations,if the weather was right. With the new HD antenna,I pull in 39 channels at the house,and 43 at the shop. It is an antenna rated to pick up stations up to 50 miles away,and the channels closest to me are 54 miles away. I get more channels in the shop because the antenna is mounted higher.

BTW,the RCA antenna is Made in America,and the price has increased to around 65 bucks each in the last 2 years. Still a hell of a bargain for what you get,though.

BTW-2, when you buy one,go to this web site to find out where your closest stations are located,and get a compass azimuth so you know where to point it for the best reception.

http://www.tvfool.com/

Are you using an indoor or outdoor antenna?  Have you tried both, by any chance?

I've seen the TVFool website, that's what's leading me to consider trying it... it shows a really good selection of channels within reach of our home.
Let it burn.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #907 on: April 14, 2017, 11:26:33 pm »

This type is found on the internet for about $70 however I got one at Fry's Electronics for about $16.

The higher the antenna, the better. Amplification and rotating help, too. This $16 version has it all.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:40:57 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #908 on: April 14, 2017, 11:31:44 pm »
Are you using an indoor or outdoor antenna?  Have you tried both, by any chance?

I've seen the TVFool website, that's what's leading me to consider trying it... it shows a really good selection of channels within reach of our home.

@Ghost Bear

I use only outside antennas. Indoor antennas are only for foolish people who live under the dictatorship of Homeowners Associations.

The HD antenna of today is VERY tiny and lightweight compared to the tv antennas we grew up with. I think the RCA's I bought weigh less than 4 lbs each.

I bought the steel poles that come in 8 foot sections that can be pounded into the ground to create a really good ground to protect your house from lightening strikes at the house. I used 2 sections and my antenna is aproximately 14 feet off the ground. Once I got it pointed to where it needed to be pointed,I drill a hold through the coupling and installed a bolt and a nut to keep the wind from turning it.

Being a little anal about fire,I also ran a copper wire from the antenna into  a copper ground spike driven 2 feet into the ground.

BTW,here is the exact antenna I bought,and the good news is the price has dropped back down to 44 bucks!

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Outdoor-Antenna-Range/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492212728&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+hd+antenna
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:33:32 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #909 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:20 pm »

This type is found on the internet for about $70 however I got one at Fry's Electronics for about $16.

That looks an awful lot like the first antenna I bought. The motor shorted out and damn near burnt my house down. That ended powered antennas for me.

I guess it all depends on where you live,but for me,all the stations I get are within the "reception cone" of my antenna,so I have no reason to turn it.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #910 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:32 pm »
@sneakypete and @truth_seeker , thank you both for the info!
Let it burn.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #911 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:08 am »
@Machiavelli

We're all going to be Mormons?

Resistance is futile.

Thanks for the info on the antennas and tv link. Being where I am we don't have that many channels. Around 12. One spanish and 4 PBS.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #912 on: April 15, 2017, 12:32:48 am »
Resistance is futile.

Thanks for the info on the antennas and tv link. Being where I am we don't have that many channels. Around 12. One spanish and 4 PBS.

If you are within 60 miles of any broadcast towers,the RCA will pull them in for you with a picture so sharp you won't believe it.

TVFOOL will tell the tale on the closest stations.

I also have a ROKU 3 and a channel master tuner/TIVO with a 1 TB hard drive build it and a portable 1TB hard drive plugged into the back,and recently dropped the Direct TV sat dish in favor of Direct TV streaming videos.

Add them all up,and I know get over 2000 channels,and am paying $35 per month for most of them. If I want a pay channel movie or event not already on one of my Direct tv or free streaming sources,I just pay a one time fee of a few bucks to view it.

BTW,I was paying around 70 bucks per month for direct tv with no contract,including HBO,Showtime,and Cinemax. I now get over 100 streaming channels from Direst TV,plus HBO,Showtime,and Cinemas for 35 bucks.

Granted,most of the channels and shows are crap that would be torture to watch,but even if I just limit viewing to killer stuff I seriously want to watch,there just aren't that many hours in the day even if I could go without sleep.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:33:40 am by sneakypete »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #913 on: April 15, 2017, 01:55:02 am »
If you are within 60 miles of any broadcast towers,the RCA will pull them in for you with a picture so sharp you won't believe it.

TVFOOL will tell the tale on the closest stations.

I also have a ROKU 3 and a channel master tuner/TIVO with a 1 TB hard drive build it and a portable 1TB hard drive plugged into the back,and recently dropped the Direct TV sat dish in favor of Direct TV streaming videos.

Add them all up,and I know get over 2000 channels,and am paying $35 per month for most of them. If I want a pay channel movie or event not already on one of my Direct tv or free streaming sources,I just pay a one time fee of a few bucks to view it.

BTW,I was paying around 70 bucks per month for direct tv with no contract,including HBO,Showtime,and Cinemax. I now get over 100 streaming channels from Direst TV,plus HBO,Showtime,and Cinemas for 35 bucks.

Granted,most of the channels and shows are crap that would be torture to watch,but even if I just limit viewing to killer stuff I seriously want to watch,there just aren't that many hours in the day even if I could go without sleep.

I looked on the link and 12 stations is about it. Where I am at there aren't that many people or broadcasts period. Our internet-Cableone-is $80/month. I have 3 rokus on 3 tvs and we are paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime. So we are in the $100/month for that total. I tend to watch documentaries on Youtube via the roku. Redbox for the newer movies. I've been considering going with Centurylink for the internet. About 1/2 the price but I'm getting some fast service from the one I have now. But it has a data cap. I'm going to investigate free e-books.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #914 on: April 15, 2017, 06:41:14 am »
Am I the only one who thinks the new Star Wars: Last Jedi trailer is horribly frustrating, incoherent and uninformative?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #915 on: April 15, 2017, 10:59:45 am »
  I've been considering going with Centurylink for the internet. About 1/2 the price but I'm getting some fast service from the one I have now. But it has a data cap. 

@bigheadfred

I've had Century Link ever since I've had a internet connection,and have never had any problems with it. If mine has a date cap,I'm not aware of it. Actually,I've had Century Link a lot longer than that. I already had it when I bought my first computer.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #916 on: April 15, 2017, 06:13:21 pm »
I am about 35 miles from Mt. Wilson, which supplies most of the greater Lost Angeles OTA signals (over the air, antenna style).

I made a list yesterday, of only the channels that are a) English, and b) not shopping or religion.

That list comes to about 35 channels. Including the other categories, it is over 100. For some stations, I get both the Los Angeles and San Diego signals.

My brother-in-law lives in Murrieta, and Saddleback Mountain blocks him, and OTA is out the of the question. He has been trying to cut the cable, too.

For him, there are several new networks over the internet, which he can select from, including SlingTV, YouTube TV, DirectTV Now, and others. They range from $25-45 monthly and provide over 20 network channels each, in place of about $100 for cable.

geronl

« Reply #917 on: April 15, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

For him, there are several new networks over the internet, which he can select from, including SlingTV, YouTube TV, DirectTV Now, and others. They range from $25-45 monthly and provide over 20 network channels each, in place of about $100 for cable.

and now Google TV

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #918 on: April 15, 2017, 06:39:45 pm »
I am about 35 miles from Mt. Wilson, which supplies most of the greater Lost Angeles OTA signals (over the air, antenna style).

I made a list yesterday, of only the channels that are a) English, and b) not shopping or religion.

That list comes to about 35 channels. Including the other categories, it is over 100. For some stations, I get both the Los Angeles and San Diego signals.

My brother-in-law lives in Murrieta, and Saddleback Mountain blocks him, and OTA is out the of the question. He has been trying to cut the cable, too.

Tell him to buy a ROKU and stream tv shows from it. If he has a internet connection,the ROKU will give him over 1,000 channels to chose from,most of them free.

I have two ROKU 3's. One in my shop and one in the house.

geronl

« Reply #919 on: April 15, 2017, 06:47:58 pm »
or get them hooked on online subtitled Korean dramas.  :tongue2:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #920 on: April 15, 2017, 07:20:11 pm »
Tell him to buy a ROKU and stream tv shows from it. If he has a internet connection,the ROKU will give him over 1,000 channels to chose from,most of them free.

I have two ROKU 3's. One in my shop and one in the house.

He has a Roku. But like me, he also has family that want old fashioned current local news. I now get that by antenna, but he can't.

But the streaming packages like SlingTV will soon have something for him that will work, I predict.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #922 on: April 15, 2017, 11:25:26 pm »
@kevindavis

If the UN ends up running things there will be NO technological advancements,only retreats as they try to be tribesmen from Borneo the equivalent of MIT grads,and concentrate on leveling all playing fields so nobody fails. If nobody fails,by definition nobody succeeds.

@sneakypete

You are right..

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007