Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423135 times)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #875 on: April 06, 2017, 10:46:27 am »
2017 Hugo Award Finalists

The Hugo Awards via File 770
April 4, 2017
More

You know, pretty much nobody but SJWs cares about the Hugos anymore.  Now the Dragon awards...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #876 on: April 06, 2017, 02:02:08 pm »
You know, pretty much nobody but SJWs cares about the Hugos anymore.  Now the Dragon awards...

Yeah, sadly I'm inclined to agree with you on the part about the Hugo's prestige being largely a thing of the past. The last recipient of the Hugo that I had any use for was Gene Wolfe.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #877 on: April 06, 2017, 03:13:35 pm »
Yeah, sadly I'm inclined to agree with you on the part about the Hugo's prestige being largely a thing of the past. The last recipient of the Hugo that I had any use for was Gene Wolfe.

Not sadly for me.  The SJWs in SF fandom have done it to themselves, and good riddance I say.  The WorldCon is an institution that is fast dying anyway, as the SJWs destroy it from within.  DragonCon is far and away larger and more inclusive.  And their Dragon Awards are much better at displaying widely-approved favorites:

http://awards.dragoncon.org/
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #878 on: April 07, 2017, 12:42:07 am »
Am I the only who thinks The Expanse is better than the RDM Version of Battlestar Galactica or is it to early?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #879 on: April 07, 2017, 01:08:29 am »
Am I the only who thinks The Expanse is better than the RDM Version of Battlestar Galactica or is it to early?

I thought BSG started off excellent, but by the end of the series I was skipping episodes.  I can't see Expanse ever improving to the same neighborhood of the first season of BSG, but I can see it ending up being a better series overall.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #880 on: April 07, 2017, 01:15:09 am »
I thought BSG started off excellent, but by the end of the series I was skipping episodes.  I can't see Expanse ever improving to the same neighborhood of the first season of BSG, but I can see it ending up being a better series overall.

I agree, BSG started out good then at the end it was Ok. To me the last half of the season four was rushed.   I think The Expanse is getting better.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #881 on: April 07, 2017, 01:37:43 am »

I agree, BSG started out good then at the end it was Ok. To me the last half of the season four was rushed.   I think The Expanse is getting better.

The expanse is good because it isn't overly futuristic. A couple of solid leaps of technology and we could easily be there 200 years from now or sooner.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #882 on: April 07, 2017, 01:52:42 am »
The expanse is good because it isn't overly futuristic. A couple of solid leaps of technology and we could easily be there 200 years from now or sooner.

I think sooner.. Also, I hope the UN isn't running things..

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #883 on: April 08, 2017, 12:28:24 am »

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #884 on: April 09, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »

Online kevindavis007

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #886 on: April 10, 2017, 03:42:21 pm »
Get Out Your Multipass, The Fifth Element is Coming Back to Theaters

4K restoration of the movie, limited theatrical release, two days only.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:43:05 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online kevindavis007

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #888 on: April 14, 2017, 05:05:01 pm »
The Handmaid’s Tale is a chilling expansion on Margaret Atwood’s novel

Adi Robertson
The Verge
April 13, 2017

In recent months, The Handmaid’s Tale — Margaret Atwood’s 1985 dystopian novel about a patriarchal future where fertile women are a tightly controlled commodity — has become more of a symbol than a piece of fiction. From a “Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again” sign at a protest to women protesting a restrictive abortion law in costume, it offers a form of protest that cuts straight to the misogynist thread in American populism. Hulu, which will premiere an adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale on April 26th, couldn’t have asked for better publicity.

But The Handmaid’s Tale is more than a political jab. In the first three episodes provided to reviewers, it’s a dystopia that manages to stand out in a television landscape already full of apocalypses and oppressive imaginary societies. It’s a colorful TV series about a woman negotiating domestic drama, and judging from its initial installments — all three of which will be released simultaneously on April 26th — it might be one of the darkest shows on television this year.

In both book and series, The Handmaid’s Tale takes place in the near future — in the book, the 1980s, and on the show, in the late 2010s. A fertility crisis has paved the way for Christian fundamentalists to seize power in the United States, founding a rigidly patriarchal theocracy called Gilead. Under Gilead’s police state, households are composed of high-status Wives; domestic Marthas; and the titular Handmaids, fertile women who are forced to bear children through ritualized sexual encounters with the household’s male “Commander.” One of those women is Offred (Mad Men’s Elisabeth Moss), an ordinary 21st century working woman who’s now living in a surreal nightmare.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Official site

Facebook

Teaser

Trailer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #889 on: April 14, 2017, 05:11:45 pm »
Could never get into the novel.  :shrug:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #890 on: April 14, 2017, 05:23:10 pm »
The Handmaid’s Tale is a chilling expansion on Margaret Atwood’s novel

Yeah... more leftist "grey goo" that I won't be watching.

Instead, I'll be watching this:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 returns: Watch the first trailer

In the not too distant future — April 14, to be exact — Mystery Science Theater 3000, the beloved cult TV show, will make its triumphant return to Netflix for a 12 14-episode run.

The new season also brings with it a brand new cast to the Satellite of Love, including Jonah Ray as the next unfortunate human test subject, Patton Oswalt as TV’s Son of TV’s Frank, and Felicia Day as Kinga Forrester.

MST3K is back thanks to one of the most-funded Kickstarters of all time. The campaign to bring back MST3K, led by the show’s creator and original host Joel Hodgson, raised more than $5.7 million.
(snip)

All 14 episodes are available now on Netflix.  Here's the official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ct0Z2bQndM
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #891 on: April 14, 2017, 05:25:00 pm »
Could never get into the novel.  :shrug:
I am no fan of oppressive cultures, especially when they seem crafted to push an agenda. The story may be much older than the adaptation, but I'm not just attracted to another 'oppressive rich and powerful straight (AKA: "misogynistic") whiteman' style diatribe, regardless of the garb within which it is clad. If I want that crap, the TeeVee is already lousy with it. There's plenty of dystopia to watch without it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #892 on: April 14, 2017, 05:26:40 pm »
Some oppressive cultures in sci fi are done well, others not so much. Atwood, though, was just boring.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #893 on: April 14, 2017, 05:30:57 pm »
Some oppressive cultures in sci fi are done well, others not so much.
True enough, and they make for some good story lines. After all, where would the Jedhi be without the Dark Side?
But those crafted to push an agenda (or stolen to do so) are just present day identity politics in a commercial cloak, and I find that tedious. It's everywhere, boring (as you said), predictable, and typecasts my demographic as something it is not.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #894 on: April 14, 2017, 05:47:17 pm »
True enough, and they make for some good story lines. After all, where would the Jedhi be without the Dark Side?
But those crafted to push an agenda (or stolen to do so) are just present day identity politics in a commercial cloak, and I find that tedious. It's everywhere, boring (as you said), predictable, and typecasts my demographic as something it is not.

One of the reasons I'm watching more anime than ever, is that the pervasive leftism present in most Western drama is almost absent in most anime productions. Sure, you still run across some, usually of the "corporations are evil" or "we must protect the environment" forms, but for the most part I end up spending more time puzzling out some Japanese cultural reference than I do worrying about getting slapped in the face with what an evil cis-gendered white male I am.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #895 on: April 14, 2017, 05:47:56 pm »

On the expanse this week the Martian Marine on the UN shuttle noticed the UN seal on a monitor and told the UN undersecretary, "We use that as a target".

geronl

« Reply #896 on: April 14, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
In both book and series, The Handmaid’s Tale takes place in the near future — in the book, the 1980s, and on the show, in the late 2010s. A fertility crisis has paved the way for Christian fundamentalists to seize power in the United States, founding a rigidly patriarchal theocracy called Gilead. Under Gilead’s police state, households are composed of high-status Wives; domestic Marthas; and the titular Handmaids, fertile women who are forced to bear children through ritualized sexual encounters with the household’s male “Commander.” One of those women is Offred (Mad Men’s Elisabeth Moss), an ordinary 21st century working woman who’s now living in a surreal nightmare.

Obviously the author doesn't know anything about Christianity

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #897 on: April 14, 2017, 10:19:23 pm »
Not sadly for me.  The SJWs in SF fandom have done it to themselves, and good riddance I say.  The WorldCon is an institution that is fast dying anyway, as the SJWs destroy it from within.  DragonCon is far and away larger and more inclusive.  And their Dragon Awards are much better at displaying widely-approved favorites:

http://awards.dragoncon.org/

@Doug Loss

What's a "SJW"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #898 on: April 14, 2017, 10:20:31 pm »

@kevindavis

Ok,I am guessing Expanse is a series on the sci-fi channel?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2017, 10:23:49 pm »
@Doug Loss

What's a "SJW"?

Social Justice Warrior. Young earnest idiots with mush between their ears, mostly.