Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423768 times)

geronl

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #650 on: December 28, 2016, 04:11:43 pm »
I have to say, your setup sounds quite a bit like John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series.

Nah, not a zombie story at all. These are just minor character snippets I'm throwing in. The main characters are the soldiers we send to Nemesis while Earth is battling the invaders. In other words our handful of soldier are opening a "Second Front" (which is the title of my book)

Second Front - book one, anyways

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #652 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:58 pm »
Just saw this.  It's not exactly SF, but it's interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Ark-Self-Sustaining-Spaceship-Springer/dp/3319310402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482955109&sr=8-1&keywords=Star+Ark

Interesting but I note that they use the word "sustainable" which excludes me from having any interest in it. That is generally a code-word for "feel-good" sciency stuff which has little or no connection to reality.
Anyway, in less than 100 years we will surely reach AI singularity and all of the planet's resources and funding will be withdrawn from any other use than building huge idols in every city and town praising the All-Supreme Great Super-Mind and promising unconditional, undying absolute obedience to its every slightest whim and command. Amen. 

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:02:46 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #653 on: December 28, 2016, 09:23:51 pm »
Interesting but I note that they use the word "sustainable" which excludes me from having any interest in it. That is generally a code-word for "feel-good" sciency stuff which has little or no connection to reality.
Anyway, in less than 100 years we will surely reach AI singularity and all of the planet's resources and funding will be withdrawn from any other use than building huge idols in every city and town praising the All-Supreme Great Super-Mind and promising unconditional, undying absolute obedience to its every slightest whim and command. Amen. 

Uhh... I'll just point out that in an ark-ship, "sustainable", and especially "self-sustaining" (which is in the sub-title of the book) is something very much desired, since it means the passengers won't have to depend on resources outside of the ship. And since they have no idea what the environment of their destination will be like, or even if there will be any resources available there, "self-sustaining" is very good indeed.
Let it burn.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #654 on: December 28, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
Here is an idea for a book.

Colonists are selected for intelligence and physical attributes--strength, agility, endurance. Not for any specialized skill set. They are injected with a retro-gene set that causes them to devolve while in cro-sleep. When they awake the ship AI releases them on to the colony world. Kinda/sorta like Planet of the Apes in reverse. They aren't devolved back more than a few tens of thousands, or hundred(s) thousands of years.

Also prior to release they are reinjected with a reversal gene set that will affect the next couple of generations.

The AI has projectors, etc., that sets itself up as "god".

A random thought.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #655 on: December 29, 2016, 01:13:50 am »

Colonists are selected for intelligence and physical attributes--strength, agility, endurance. Not for any specialized skill set. They are injected with a retro-gene set that causes them to devolve while in cro-sleep. When they awake the ship AI releases them on to the colony world. Kinda/sorta like Planet of the Apes in reverse. They aren't devolved back more than a few tens of thousands, or hundred(s) thousands of years.

Also prior to release they are reinjected with a reversal gene set that will affect the next couple of generations.

A random thought.

The AI "god" sounds a little like The Old Man in The Cave from the Twilight zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_in_the_Cave

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #656 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:23 pm »

A random thought.

I like your idea a lot.  Author Gene Wolfe explored a similar theme in some regards in his book Nightside the Long Sun. His characters have gods to contend with and to help them in that story. Wolfe's stories are refreshing because he tends to write from the first person and your understanding of what is going in tends to clarify as the character's own awareness of reality increases. I like the "dawning realization" style of plot development because it feels more natural - like reading a detective novel, perceptive people can sometimes figure out what is going on before the narrative reveals it overtly.

Some of the details of your story-line might be tweaked to bring them into line with scientific fact. For instance, human genome has not altered appreciably since about 4 million years ago when sapiens sapiens split off genetically for good from the other proto-human sub-types.

Most of the evolution that human beings have gone through has been cultural and psychological in the last 20 thousand years.  To find a significant genetic event which fundamentally altered human morphology one would likely have to go back about 200,000 years when the brain size seems to have greatly increased (probably due to turning the corner in the starvation problem). Human beings nearly died off several times in the span of time, mostly due to famine (as far as archeologists can tell). Once humans mastered social cooperation and tools, we could prey on other animals (herbivores) which were more efficient at foraging the abundant vegetation than we, and defeat any predators. Those capabilities filled in the last key pieces of the puzzle that would make Humanity able to avoid extinction handily for the rest of time and take our place at the top of the food chain permanently.

NOTE: The above event is represented in dramatic fashion in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey although it is placed much further back in time (millions of years instead of thousands). Likely something like what is portrayed in the movie could have happened in distant prehistory, but the anthropological record seems to indicate that the problem of starvation plagued proto-humans and nearly snuffed them chronically until humans achieved social cooperation skills and essentially started hunting in organized groups with fairly sophisticated weapons and building at least semi-permanent societies and primitive structures for shelter (circa 30,000-20,000 BC). Humans are like ants in the sense that we are social animals, we are not truly superior without social systems to support us. 

The explosion of brain size (discussed in research into human brain evolution published in Ghost in the Machine, by Arthur Koestler) 2000 centuries ago was mostly in the cerebral cortex due to the ability of well-nourished humans to experience a quantum increase in neural density (because we finally had the calories available to develop it in infancy/early childhood and could defend our young from early death). Humans got a lot more intellectually capable in all probability at roughly the same time and never looked back (relative to the other mammals). This event is portrayed with dramatic effect in the fine film Clan of the Cave Bear (with the magnificent Darryl Hannah in the lead role, before she lost both her looks and her mind).

The other great fundamental change in consciousness likely occurred about 12,000 to 8,000 BC, when examinations of cave paintings and later hieroglyphics indicate that human beings started developing an operative understanding of being separate from our environment and the difference between the waking state and the dream state.

Even as late as the ancient Egyptian period, artwork indicated that human beings had not fully understood that dreams were not reality nor did they fully grasp the separation between animals/humans and the environment (known as "ego separation" to psychologists and anthropologists).

The latter development is significant because until human beings understood that we were not part of the environment but that we possessed free will entirely apart from the forces of nature, we were not capable of developing any sort of mature understanding of our possible relationship to a deity. IOW, until we understood who WE were as entities in the universe, we couldn't understand what a god was.

This latter development was likely not morphological (related to brain size) but rather a psychological development related to generational changes in how human mythology and awareness gathered information until a threshold of understanding of reality was achieved.

Sorry for the long exposition, but the topic is fascinating  in relation to your idea - what sort of god has power over a mind that sees the universe differently from the way a modern human sees the universe. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:45:50 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

geronl

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #658 on: December 29, 2016, 06:38:35 pm »
Here's another not-SF essay that is quite interesting, and could be the basis for some interesting SF:

http://warontherocks.com/2016/12/five-giant-leaps-for-robotkind-expanding-the-possible-in-autonomous-weapons/
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #659 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:23 pm »
What I had more in mind is the 'colonists' would be in a more primitive state and the AI as a holographic teacher. Showing the new colonists simple things. Making fire, knapping tools, etc. Build up civilization. One of the things I think that would be difficult is to retain a technically oriented society on a new world. The new colonists would be of fresher mind. More in the attempt to seed man through the stars.

Thanks for the story reminders @Cripplecreek @HonestJohn @LateForLunch

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #660 on: December 30, 2016, 06:54:59 am »

In one of my story ideas the probe lands and begins producing humans, no need for cryo. It gives them the basic knowledge they would need to survive and also the impetus to move on and explore.

geronl

« Reply #661 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:12 pm »
It's not quite the same, but the story "Terraforming Earth" by Jack Williamson... has an automated moonbase set up with human genetic samples.  It's purpose is the recolonization the earth after a giant asteriod is set to hit the earth. 

That sounds interesting.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #663 on: December 31, 2016, 03:17:10 am »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #664 on: December 31, 2016, 01:54:15 pm »
They have season 1 on Amazon Prime. Worth the view?

Yes, however, I wouldn't take my word. I happen to just like just about anything that takes place in Space (with GOT and Vikings being the exception).

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #665 on: December 31, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »
FYI: The Twilight Zone marathon is on the SyFy channel..

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #666 on: December 31, 2016, 02:09:39 pm »

Yes, however, I wouldn't take my word. I happen to just like just about anything that takes place in Space (with GOT and Vikings being the exception).

I can space out at the drop of a hat.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #667 on: December 31, 2016, 02:50:46 pm »
I can space out at the drop of a hat.

I can't.. I'm a space junky..

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #668 on: January 01, 2017, 01:42:45 am »
They have season 1 on Amazon Prime. Worth the view?
I think so. I enjoyed it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #669 on: January 01, 2017, 03:03:32 am »
FYI: The Twilight Zone marathon is on the SyFy channel..

For several years (years ago) they had the episodes planned so that "The Midnight Sun" would run at midnight Eastern time.  One of my favorite episodes, but for some reason this year it's running on Sunday afternoon.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #670 on: January 01, 2017, 03:11:54 am »
For several years (years ago) they had the episodes planned so that "The Midnight Sun" would run at midnight Eastern time.  One of my favorite episodes, but for some reason this year it's running on Sunday afternoon.   :shrug:

My favorites are The Obsolete man and The Hunt.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #671 on: January 01, 2017, 03:22:26 am »

Both excellent episodes!  But don't forget "Time Enough at Last".  ^-^
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #672 on: January 01, 2017, 03:35:01 am »

The Obsolete  Man is my favorite .

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #673 on: January 01, 2017, 12:22:13 pm »
Happy New Year... Here is hoping 2017 is good year in Science Fiction.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #674 on: January 02, 2017, 04:22:24 am »
Happy New Year... Here is hoping 2017 is good year in Science Fiction.

Happy New Year... I didn't watch any of the Twilight Zone marathon this year.   :shrug:
Let it burn.