Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423135 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #625 on: December 26, 2016, 03:48:51 pm »
In my story, which needs an ending, the AI awakens a human from cryo before they even exit the solar system. Just a randomly chosen guy, who manages to talk the computer into waking up a female eventually (took a while). Only because the AI determines the guy might go nuts (draws on the wall a lot). He's America and she's from Sierra Leone.

Then the bad things start to happen and they figure out they might not be alone on the ship... (miles long) and the computer tells them that a front part of the ship isn't supposed to be there.

Oh, I think I did refer to the 250,000 people in cryo as "passengers", lol.

I posted the first chapter on my blog June 10, 2015. http://flscifi.blogspot.com/2015/06/lonely-space-chapter-one.html

I did read that story sometime ago.. Much better concept than Passengers...

In reality I was looking for a sci-fi movie like Interstellar and The Martian.  This year was kinda disappointing.  We shall what 2017 brings.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

« Reply #626 on: December 26, 2016, 03:52:53 pm »

I did read that story sometime ago.. Much better concept than Passengers...

In reality I was looking for a sci-fi movie like Interstellar and The Martian.  This year was kinda disappointing.  We shall what 2017 brings.

I only posted about half of what I have so far on the blog. Maybe I should post a few more chapters since I've neglected the blog for so long.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #627 on: December 26, 2016, 03:53:02 pm »
Here is the list of Sci-Fi movies coming out next year: http://movieweb.com/movies/2017/sci-fi/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #628 on: December 26, 2016, 03:55:34 pm »
Here is the list of Sci-Fi movies coming out next year: http://movieweb.com/movies/2017/sci-fi/

Looks like lots of crap and a few possibilities.

geronl

« Reply #629 on: December 26, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »
Dark Tower might be good

Star Wars VIII

I'm not interested in Power Rangers for sure.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #630 on: December 26, 2016, 04:01:25 pm »
Looks like lots of crap and a few possibilities.

That is my thinking as well.. Aside from Alien, Blade Runner, and Star Wars..  Most of them are crap. I think there are few that can be good.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #631 on: December 26, 2016, 04:17:20 pm »
In my story, which needs an ending, the AI awakens a human from cryo before they even exit the solar system. Just a randomly chosen guy, who manages to talk the computer into waking up a female eventually (took a while). Only because the AI determines the guy might go nuts (draws on the wall a lot). He's America and she's from Sierra Leone.

Then the bad things start to happen and they figure out they might not be alone on the ship... (miles long) and the computer tells them that a front part of the ship isn't supposed to be there.

I posted the first chapter on my blog June 10, 2015. http://flscifi.blogspot.com/2015/06/lonely-space-chapter-one.html

Interesting plot. 'Sounds a little like Gene Wolfe's award-winning short story, "The Other Dead Man".
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #632 on: December 26, 2016, 08:00:01 pm »

Now all we need to find a planet that is like this (or it can be terraformed with robot terraformers), also the $$ to build the ship and the right technology..

We landed a man on the moon before I was alive and we still haven't paid for that yet.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

geronl

« Reply #633 on: December 27, 2016, 12:22:02 am »
Interesting plot. 'Sounds a little like Gene Wolfe's award-winning short story, "The Other Dead Man".

I'll be looking that up

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #634 on: December 27, 2016, 02:38:27 am »
The latest in weird.
But surprisingly well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1RMKdWz8M
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

geronl

« Reply #635 on: December 27, 2016, 03:28:53 am »
The latest in weird.

wow

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #636 on: December 27, 2016, 05:12:50 am »

Thanks. I read every chapter, and am looking forward to more. A nice, pleasant read that holds my attention without tedium. That's good stuff by me. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #637 on: December 27, 2016, 06:11:11 am »
Thanks. I read every chapter, and am looking forward to more. A nice, pleasant read that holds my attention without tedium. That's good stuff by me. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

I added 2 more chapters.

http://flscifi.blogspot.com/2016/12/lonely-space-chapter-eight.html

http://flscifi.blogspot.com/2016/12/lonely-space-chapter-nine.html

@kevindavis @Smokin Joe @Cripplecreek @Freya
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:12:03 am by geronl »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #639 on: December 27, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
Thank you
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #640 on: December 27, 2016, 03:00:24 pm »
The latest in weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1RMKdWz8M

Hmmm... animated Leela is more attractive than live-action Leela.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #641 on: December 27, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »

Agreed. And hypnotoad looses something in translation too. But I did like the head of Richard Nixon.

Thank you @Ghost Bear . I'm a big fan of Futureama! I wish they would bring it back.

(I wonder if Old Fortran beer tastes like Duff beer)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:13:20 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #642 on: December 27, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »

Is this where the rubber meets the road?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #643 on: December 27, 2016, 04:12:19 pm »
Agreed. And hypnotoad looses something in translation too. But I did like the head of Richard Nixon.

Thank you @Ghost Bear . I'm a big fan of Futureama! I wish they would bring it back.

(I wonder if Old Fortran beer tastes like Duff beer)

And was that Rich Little as Richard Nixon's Head?  Sure looked like him!
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #644 on: December 27, 2016, 04:15:26 pm »
The Nixon guy was well done

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #645 on: December 27, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
Well I finished watching the 2nd season of The Man in the High Castle.. Top Notch..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:26:57 pm by kevindavis »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #646 on: December 27, 2016, 04:45:29 pm »
I'll be looking that up

I tried to send this as a PM but you apparently have me blocked (possibly stemming from some contentious previous Trump-related thread before the election that I seem to recall generated some hurt feelings with many posters). I just wanted to warn you about Wolfe. He is not a normal human being so it is perilous to view his work as if he were.

I'm fairly certain that Gene Wolfe has an eidetic memory (much like the central character in his most renown work  aka the Severian Series) so those of us who don't have one cannot hope to measure up to his literary standards. Wolfe's ability to create a consistent, concise yet elaborate narrative / story no doubt benefits from his capability to recall information in great detail.

As an amateur writer without a photographic memory myself, I view Wolfe the way I imagine a person who does an occasional 5K run regards an Olympic-class marathoner. It's not that he's verbose or florid so much as that he doubles-back on his story line and does occasional back-flips and hand stands that are very effective at creating the moods, ideas and other effects he strives to manifest.

Ursula K. LeGuin (one of my all-time favorite authors of any genre) called Wolfe, "Our modern Melville"! High praise indeed from someone whose own writing skills are so superlative as to make people like me simply resign myself to the realization that I will almost certainly always remain a "hobbyist"  who writes for personal catharsis / amusement while others like Wolfe,  LeGuin and possibly yourself, rightfully claim the title of "author". 
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

geronl

« Reply #647 on: December 27, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »
I tried to send this as a PM but you apparently have me blocked (possibly stemming from some contentious previous Trump-related thread before the election that I seem to recall generated some hurt feelings with many posters). I just wanted to warn you about Wolfe. He is not a normal human being so it is perilous to view his work as if he were.

thanks for the warning.

You should have been able to PM me even if I have you on Ignore. Weird.

geronl

« Reply #648 on: December 28, 2016, 01:48:00 am »
Early in my book I used a short snippet about a girl and her father on a yacht escaping the conflict and carnage of the war with the aliens, I used it to show that Nemesis (we don't have a moon anymore) caused a bulge in the ocean that moved as the Earth turned, slamming into the coast daily.

Near the end of the book I decided to bring them back, this time they aren't running away, they're rescuing survivors of the daily tsunami floating at sea.

Since the girl is about the same age as the Korean girl who is going to be a bigger deal in the next books, I've decided they'll work together in some form or fashion. The Korean girl will be the top communicator with the aliens while this girl might join the military and be assigned as a body guard when she is sent to Nemesis.

Something like that.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #649 on: December 28, 2016, 03:32:35 pm »
I have to say, your setup sounds quite a bit like John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!