Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423131 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #525 on: November 14, 2016, 09:49:01 pm »
I sort of got spoiled for any live action Ghost in the Shell movie, since I think the original movie (not the series) was one of the most beautiful, artful, and evocative pieces of cinema of all time.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll see the live action movie, or not.  I saw the two anime series first (Stand Alone Complex and Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG) and only saw the anime movie a few months ago (on Hulu).  I don't know whether a live action film will be able to stand up to the original movie, but there's always a chance I guess.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #526 on: November 14, 2016, 09:49:41 pm »
I sort of got spoiled for any live action Ghost in the Shell movie, since I think the original movie (not the series) was one of the most beautiful, artful, and evocative pieces of cinema of all time.

Speakin' of SF animated movies, there was this movie with huge semi-material, ghostly insect-like creatures that had invaded a ship or installation and soldiers had to blast them. They could pass through solid  materials and then solidify again as I recall, which made them formidable adversaries.  It was a terrifically entertaining movie but I have never been able to find the title so I could order it. It probably became a video game or started as one. Anyone every heard of something like that?
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #527 on: November 14, 2016, 10:00:53 pm »
Speakin' of SF animated movies, there was this movie with huge semi-material, ghostly insect-like creatures that had invaded a ship or installation and soldiers had to blast them. They could pass through solid  materials and then solidify again as I recall, which made them formidable adversaries.  It was a terrifically entertaining movie but I have never been able to find the title so I could order it. It probably became a video game or started as one. Anyone every heard of something like that?

It doesn't ring any bells off the top of my head, but here are some questions that might help narrow down the search:

You seemed to indicate it was animated, do you remember whether it was Western style animation, or Japanese? Or something else?

About what year did you see it?

Did you see it at a movie theater, or on television?  Was it on a particular station/channel, or on some kind of recording? (tape, DVD, etc.)
Let it burn.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #528 on: November 14, 2016, 10:04:04 pm »

Sounds a bit like the Final Fantasy movie, at least the adversaries.

Edit to add - I've only seen Final Fantasy: The Spirit's Within. There's been 4 of them
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:06:11 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #529 on: November 15, 2016, 12:12:13 am »
For comparison and contrast, here's what purports to be the Japanese trailer for the 1995 GitS anime movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvBVDibOrgs
Let it burn.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #530 on: November 17, 2016, 11:24:09 pm »
'Stranger in a Strange Land' TV Series in the Works at Syfy

Paramount TV and Universal Cable Productions are adapting the sci-fi classic by Robert Heinlein.

Syfy is ready to adapt one of the most famous sci-fi novels ever written.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network is teaming with Paramount Television and corporate sibling Universal Cable Productions to develop Robert Heinlein's 1961 sci-fi classic Stranger in a Strange Land as a TV series.

The book centers on Valentine Michael Smith, a human who comes to Earth in early adulthood after being born on Mars and raised by Martians. The novel explores his interaction with — and eventual transformation of — terrestrial culture. It predicted many of the movements and messages of the 1960s — from free love and hippie communes to organized attempts at world peace.

Brad Fischer, James Vanderbilt and William Sherak of Mythology Entertainment, Scott Rudin, Garrett Basch and Eli Bush of Scott Rudin Productions as well as Joe Vecchio of Vecchio Entertainment will executive produce. Mythology's Julia Gunn will serve as a co-exec producer.

excerpted, more at the link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stranger-a-strange-land-tv-series-works-at-syfy-947671
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #531 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:35 am »
@Ghost Bear

Kinda sounds like the movie "The Space Between Us" being advertised now.

Martian boy comes to earth and falls in love and has to go home.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #532 on: November 18, 2016, 12:54:10 am »
'Stranger in a Strange Land' TV Series in the Works at Syfy

I barely remember SIASL other than the basic premise.  Was that one of RAH's books about group marriage that made me give up on his works?  (Seriously, I don't mind throwing in a little non-traditional viewpoints, but at one point working my way through his body of work I felt like the time MSNBC came on in my hotel room and I couldn't find the power button).

If so, they should just go for the trifecta and bring in JJ Abrams.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #533 on: November 18, 2016, 02:39:22 am »
I barely remember SIASL other than the basic premise.  Was that one of RAH's books about group marriage that made me give up on his works?  (Seriously, I don't mind throwing in a little non-traditional viewpoints, but at one point working my way through his body of work I felt like the time MSNBC came on in my hotel room and I couldn't find the power button).

You may be thinking about Time Enough for Love or The Notebooks of Lazarus Long. (It has been a while)
Things got a mite off center in those in my opinion, but one thing it reminded me of is that humans will keep doing stupid things until they get that down pat.

I didn't see that sort of cultural degeneration as a recommendation or a prediction, so much as just a possibility.

With expansion into the universe, there could be entire planets established around very different cultural mores and traditions, and given a few centuries, maybe periods of isolation, so things could get pretty far off the beam with no outside or countervailing influences. That's nothing different than what we see in neighborhoods or countries now, it's just that we have the ability to compare all that up close, and have to somehow reconcile those different ideas well enough to form cohesive economic units to get anything done.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2016, 03:17:38 am »
I've never read SiaSL, so all I know about it is what I've read about it in pieces like this.   :shrug:

Oh, and I know what my wife has told me about it... she's been a fan of RAH since she was about 10. She was quite excited to hear that this series is being made.
Let it burn.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2016, 03:33:20 pm »

Agree totally. Dead spot on.

I would be highly skeptical of the quality of the production. Heinlein's views were notoriously conservative, especially in comparison to today's Hollywood. I can't easily believe that whoever makes the movie based on the book would not exploit the parts that appeal to the mass market and leftist pop-kulture sensibilities more, such as the very peripheral aspect of the group marriage thing. Heinlein liked to shake things up and was a notorious iconoclast and cynic about social conformity.

The only way this could ever have been made is for both Heinlein and his wife to die. They would NEVER have approved it. Whoever administrates their estate is likely not a responsible steward of their legacy. See, Heinlein often said that he considered T.V. and films to be grossly inferior mediums to literature and that was one of the biggest reasons he refused to allow any rendering of his books into those formats.

The first exception made, as far as I am aware, was when his widow allowed Jon Davison to produce a film verison of  Starship Trooper with Paul Verhoeven directing and writer Edward Neumeier,  which was surprisingly close to the book in many ways. I think that she retained veto-power over the screenplay as a condition of the sale of the rights. She was a shrewd business person and a tough negotiator, by all accounts.

BTW, that film was modestly successful at the box office and resulted in an Academy Award for Best Special Effects. It was also among the first feature films to be commercially produced and marketed profitably on DVD format. It held the record for most DVD sales for some time. People loved how DVDs, unlike VHS, allowed high resolution digital video (without having to clean the heads) plus the ability to select and watch favorite scenes without rewinding.

Heinlein complained that other books made into movies had been horribly corrupted by unscrupulous or stupid movie executives/directors who either did not understand or had no respect for the literary intentions of the authors. Since most movie studios would not yield any significant creative control to the authors or their agents in the deal, many authors refused offers to have their books made into films for that exact reason.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:42:21 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2016, 04:43:06 pm »
I've never read SiaSL, so all I know about it is what I've read about it in pieces like this.   :shrug:

Oh, and I know what my wife has told me about it... she's been a fan of RAH since she was about 10. She was quite excited to hear that this series is being made.

It's an interesting book.  On the one hand, you can see how it definitely inspired some of the hippy/free love culture.  On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the book ends up critiquing that same lifestyle.

Heinlein was generally pretty hardcore in a lot of his beliefs.  Starship Troopers obviously lost a lot of its meaning when it went to film, essentially mocking Heinlein's respect for service to country, etc.,

Heinlein was a Naval Academy grad, btw.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2016, 04:46:34 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

I wonder how that is going to work.  Season one had a very definite ending.

Damn, I thought that ending was confusing as hell.  Or perhaps ambiguous would be a better term.  The book itself was kind of odd -- a very cool story, but I'm not sure it actually went anywhere.

Once thing that came across to me in the show that never really occurred to me in the books is that it almost seems like you could consider Hitler "the Man in the High Castle".  I mean, that's the only dude in a High Castle we saw all season....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2016, 06:29:06 pm »
It certainly was confusing.  It was as if somebody woke up one day and said, "OK, end of production."  But I don't see how the story can be picked up again, unless they want to resume the flashback supposedly the whole series was.  Are they releasing Episode 1 early again, or do we have to wait until mid-December?

Well, did you read the book?

In any case, I don't believe that was a "flashback" there at the end.  The timelines actually suggest that there are two separate realities, because he "woke up" in what looked to be 1962 still.  Just...a different 1962.  Like the movies -- they clearly were set in the past relative to the time the story was set, and yet showed a past that had never happened.

And the book really doesn't help with that because there's sort of a similar ambiguity, and unanswered questions.  So I suppose the bottom line is I have absolutely no idea where they go with it either because the possibilities seem pretty open.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #539 on: November 18, 2016, 06:59:06 pm »
Yeah, I did.  Again, I wonder where they're going with the story.  By definition it has to be beyond what Dick wrote, so let's hope the writers are good....

Since you've already read the book, you could always go to Wikipedia and look up the book. Wikipedia has complete plot summaries (AKA spoilers) which often can clarify ambiguous endings or other parts of stories. I've used them occasionally to resolve gnawing uncertainties about weird films or books that have confusing endings or elements.

Usually I felt let down after because it either seemed obvious and I wondered why I couldn't have figured it out for myself, or because it seemed stupid and revealed that the writing or editing was poorly done at some point and that was why it was confusing.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #540 on: November 19, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »
Has anyone seen the new movie "Arrival"?

It's supposed to be awesome.   Just debating, spend 12 now or wait til it is at Redbox.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #541 on: November 20, 2016, 03:53:34 am »
Has anyone seen the new movie "Arrival"?

It's supposed to be awesome.   Just debating, spend 12 now or wait til it is at Redbox.

I haven't seen that one, but wife and I saw "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" tonight. It was really, really good, we both thought!
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #542 on: November 20, 2016, 03:58:01 am »
I haven't seen that one, but wife and I saw "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" tonight. It was really, really good, we both thought!

Look all around you, remember you are mortal?  @Ghost Bear did someone die?

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #543 on: November 20, 2016, 04:14:48 am »
Look all around you, remember you are mortal?  @Ghost Bear did someone die?

In the movie it did appear that one character died... but I don't want to give any spoilers.
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #544 on: November 20, 2016, 09:21:07 am »
In the movie it did appear that one character died... but I don't want to give any spoilers.

Oh good. I thought someone in your family or your avatar had just died.

Slightly off SF topic- but on movies- my mom is taking me to see "Loving" on Black Friday. Not looking forward to it, I hope I enjoy it anyway.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #545 on: November 20, 2016, 03:59:40 pm »
Oh good. I thought someone in your family or your avatar had just died.

Slightly off SF topic- but on movies- my mom is taking me to see "Loving" on Black Friday. Not looking forward to it, I hope I enjoy it anyway.

Oh, no... according to this Wikipedia entry, that phrase was what the slave actually whispered in the ear of the hero enjoying the triumphal procession, referenced in my sig-block. Gen. Patton had the idea correct, but not the precise wording.

According to reviews "Loving" is supposed to be pretty good. I hope you do enjoy it!
Let it burn.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #546 on: November 20, 2016, 05:11:33 pm »
If you are at all in to graphic novels, I suggest Drive by Dave Kellett

http://www.drivecomic.com/

Start at the beginning. It's .... different. Couple of ideas that are pretty unique in sci-fi too.

Disclaimer - I'm a fan (of Sheldon, too) and a Patreon supporter.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #547 on: November 21, 2016, 07:13:33 pm »
@Freya   I just came across this review of "Arrival."

‘Arrival’ Challenges Audiences To Face A Daunting Question
Linguist Louise Banks has to ask herself: ‘If you knew how your life would turn out, would you choose to live it again?’
Jay Caruso

If you’re expecting an “Independence Day” or even a “Close Encounters Of The Third Kind” experience when you see “Arrival,” chances are you will be disappointed. If you’re expecting an excellently written, well-acted science fiction thriller that moves at a steady pace and with a director who believes his audience is intelligent enough to work through the film’s nuances, you’ll be greatly rewarded.

Based on Ted Chiang’s 1998 novella “Story of Your Life,” the screenplay by Eric Heisserer introduces us to Dr. Louise Banks (played by Amy Adams), a linguist professor. When we first encounter Banks, it’s through a vignette of scenes of Banks and her daughter Hannah from birth through Hannah’s untimely death due to a rare form of cancer at what appears to be in her early teens.  ...

Ultimately, the most important question asked in the movie is not, “What is your purpose here?” which is asked of the aliens. Rather, it is a question Banks has to ask herself: “If you knew how your life would turn out, would you choose to live it again?”

Denis Villeneuve, who directed 2015’s brilliant “Sicario,” does another terrific job with this film. He draws the viewers in slowly, allowing the story to take shape while allowing the characters to be fleshed out over time. He never rushes anything, and that is a credit to good storytelling. “Arrival” is a great story, and despite a running time of two hours and 10 minutes, it never feels that long despite not being a typical space thriller. It is gorgeously shot, and as such, you should see it on a big screen instead of waiting for an on-demand release.

The cast is great all around, but the movie belongs entirely to Adams. She delivers a heartfelt, warm, and touching performance that will no doubt earn her a well-deserved Oscar nomination. “Arrival” is one of the best movies of 2016.   ...
Excerpted - read the whole thing at The Federalist.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #548 on: November 21, 2016, 07:30:50 pm »
My wife and I saw it on Saturday.  Well worth the time.  Oh, and Stephen Wolfram was the science advisor on the picture, and was actually listened to, which makes the science content of the movie not teeth-grating to those who often can't finish an SF movie because of the complete impossibility of everything happening.

http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #549 on: November 21, 2016, 09:56:44 pm »
My wife and I saw it on Saturday.  Well worth the time.  Oh, and Stephen Wolfram was the science advisor on the picture, and was actually listened to, which makes the science content of the movie not teeth-grating to those who often can't finish an SF movie because of the complete impossibility of everything happening.

http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/

Happy to read that you enjoyed the film - it's gotten good reviews from some of the critics I rely on to seprate the bowsers from the boffo.
 You comment about "teeth grating impossibility" was my reaction to the remake of Day the Earth Stood Still.
The whole idea that an alien race of inconceivable technological sophistication would not understand basic psychology or that the notion of warlike, aggressive, territorial impulses would be somehow an indication of an abberative psyche is laughable.

All so-called civilized cultures had a past that was by today's standards largely barbaric. We accept this as a condition of their state of knowledge, not of their character. It rankled me that the leftist who wrote that script projected their own misanthropic prejudices onto the superior alien race - as if they would condemn the entire human race for behaving exactly as any reasonable observer would anticipate.