Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423184 times)

geronl

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2016, 11:41:16 pm »

The civil wars were devastating, add in the epidemic, and the likes of Boko Haram,  and the region is having a hell of a go.

A few years ago the government budget of Liberia was $61 Million, with an M! That's just insane. Plus add in the amazing amounts of corruption (just check today's headlines for instance) and it's just waiting for the next disaster.

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/politics/878-indictment-ready-tyler-sherman-face-arrest-over-global-witness-bribery-report
Ruling Party head arrested over bribery report
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:46:22 pm by geronl »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2016, 11:52:57 pm »
A few years ago the government budget of Liberia was $61 Million, with an M! That's just insane. Plus add in the amazing amounts of corruption (just check today's headlines for instance) and it's just waiting for the next disaster.

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/politics/878-indictment-ready-tyler-sherman-face-arrest-over-global-witness-bribery-report
Ruling Party head arrested over bribery report
They save a lot on snow removal and road salt.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:54 am »
The flags at the capitol were shredded and donations to replace them had to be received!!

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/1656-disgrace-to-capitol-building-lawmakers-receive-donation-to-replace-torn-flags

Their Olympic team needed to take out a loan to get to Rio!

The President and members of their Congress have been trying to oust their House speaker for a while now.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2016, 12:13:39 am »
The flags at the capitol were shredded and donations to replace them had to be received!!

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/1656-disgrace-to-capitol-building-lawmakers-receive-donation-to-replace-torn-flags

Their Olympic team needed to take out a loan to get to Rio!

The President and members of their Congress have been trying to oust their House speaker for a while now.
Proof, in one sense, they are different from much of Africa: The speaker didn't just have a 'terrible accident' like that Archbishop in Uganda did a few years back...

Considering Liberia was started by freed American slaves and others who wanted to go back to Africa, I wish them nothing but success in their efforts to strengthen their Republic in all ways contributing to the freedom and prosperity of their people.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:01 am »
Proof, in one sense, they are different from much of Africa: The speaker didn't just have a 'terrible accident' like that Archbishop in Uganda did a few years back...

Considering Liberia was started by freed American slaves and others who wanted to go back to Africa, I wish them nothing but success in their efforts to strengthen their Republic in all ways contributing to the freedom and prosperity of their people.

The good news is that the people of Liberia are still skittish about armed violence after what they went through. Remember that cannibalism had even become a part of that war. I think most of the country has PTSD, I wouldn't bet against it! I'm not joking, they have something like 1 psychiatrist in the whole country too.

The country has not recovered much it seems, watching videos from Liberia and reading about it tells me it'll take a long time to fix the infrastructure. Their hydroelectric power plant is still a year or two from being finished, that will definitely improve things but most of the country outside of Monrovia isn't even hooked up.

It is one of the countries that I really hope sees better days. If we ever get in a tiff with China maybe Liberia is one of the places we can park some of those factories. Right now their average income is less than $500 a year, it's insane.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2016, 03:28:15 am »
The good news is that the people of Liberia are still skittish about armed violence after what they went through. Remember that cannibalism had even become a part of that war. I think most of the country has PTSD, I wouldn't bet against it! I'm not joking, they have something like 1 psychiatrist in the whole country too.

The country has not recovered much it seems, watching videos from Liberia and reading about it tells me it'll take a long time to fix the infrastructure. Their hydroelectric power plant is still a year or two from being finished, that will definitely improve things but most of the country outside of Monrovia isn't even hooked up.

It is one of the countries that I really hope sees better days. If we ever get in a tiff with China maybe Liberia is one of the places we can park some of those factories. Right now their average income is less than $500 a year, it's insane.
Someone had posted an image of one of the towns in West Africa. They posted back in disbelief when I said that was a picture of prosperity (which, in the context of West Africa, it was). There were power/phone lines, automobiles and motorcycles, even a paved street. For there, that is prosperity. For here, it would appear to be poverty. Funny how context makes such a difference. We are spoiled, here. I, for one, would like to keep it that way, and at the same time I want the less well off nations which are trying to do the right thing to succeed, to prosper, to be free. (No, I'm not running for 'Miss anything', I just figure that with nations, like people, the more who have their stuff together, the better place this Earth is.)

As for PTSD, can you imagine the effects of warfare in our streets on the mollycoddled generations who have not seen armed conflict here? It would be no different. Many would not survive, even as noncombatants.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:29:53 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2016, 03:45:06 am »
We are spoiled, here. I, for one, would like to keep it that way, and at the same time I want the less well off nations which are trying to do the right thing to succeed, to prosper, to be free.

I agree!

As for PTSD, can you imagine the effects of warfare in our streets on the mollycoddled generations who have not seen armed conflict here? It would be no different. Many would not survive, even as noncombatants.

Best to avoid it! I know and am related to people on dialysis, that'd be one of the first fragile segments to go. Diabetics would be gone rather quickly too if it happened here.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2016, 04:08:31 am »
I agree!

Best to avoid it! I know and am related to people on dialysis, that'd be one of the first fragile segments to go. Diabetics would be gone rather quickly too if it happened here.
Yes, there are many who would suffer or die because of the absence of first world health care and dwindling pharmaceutical supplies. My SIL died recently from complications of diabetes, and was on dialysis. If we are headed toward really hard times, that is a blessing, I suppose. Anyone who absolutely needs pharma and has not found either an alternate supply or a way to control or alleviate their condition using readily available herbs or other means would be in for a bad time.

Those who bandy about CWII don't seem to get that. Sometimes it's like watching the early part of gone With the Wind, where everyone figures they'll be home in no time. So much taken for granted now would be absent overnight, or hideously expensive on the Black Market, if it could be obtained at all. Even Antibiotics and pain meds would be held back for the wounded, things we are used to getting almost on demand.

C S Lewis

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2016, 09:42:11 pm »
Yes, there are many who would suffer or die because of the absence of first world health care and dwindling pharmaceutical supplies. My SIL died recently from complications of diabetes, and was on dialysis. If we are headed toward really hard times, that is a blessing, I suppose. Anyone who absolutely needs pharma and has not found either an alternate supply or a way to control or alleviate their condition using readily available herbs or other means would be in for a bad time.

Those who bandy about CWII don't seem to get that. Sometimes it's like watching the early part of gone With the Wind, where everyone figures they'll be home in no time. So much taken for granted now would be absent overnight, or hideously expensive on the Black Market, if it could be obtained at all. Even Antibiotics and pain meds would be held back for the wounded, things we are used to getting almost on demand.

Yes, a lot of stories, shows, and movies gloss over or fail to examine a lot of implications of the loss of modern-day healthcare, or use it as a convenient plot point at best.  Two books that got it right (imho) are Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank and Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle.

I used to be quite a fan of TEOTWAWKI fiction, but nowadays I tend to favor more hopeful escapism.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2016, 10:51:05 pm »
Yes, a lot of stories, shows, and movies gloss over or fail to examine a lot of implications of the loss of modern-day healthcare, or use it as a convenient plot point at best.  Two books that got it right (imho) are Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank and Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle.

I used to be quite a fan of TEOTWAWKI fiction, but nowadays I tend to favor more hopeful escapism.
I liked Lucifer's Hammer. It was one of the first of a long list of 'end of the world scenarios' I have read over the years. I think what prompted that aside from an early love of science fiction was an early memory of drawing circles with my Dad on a map of MD and Washington D.C. with the compass point on the Mall. If the Cuban-launched missile hit on target and wasn't a short round, and was the size of warhead everyone thought they were, our bug out plan was to Virginia by boat...which, without thinking about traffic and other complications, would have been best...(long ago and far away, now I have a ringside seat for WWIII).

Good, realistic TEOTWAWKI fiction is thought provoking and can expose holes in any prepper's setup, knowledge, or gear. Plans, too, for that matter. If it is solid, chances are the story isn't going to be a pretty one. If someone is out for unicorns and rainbows, they'd be better off to join the Bronies.

But all that harsh reality exposes a few salient truths.. You might be able to survive somewhere isolated on your own for a while, but to rebuild or survive long term will take people working together. Like any building project, sometimes you need someone to hold the other end of the board.

Realistic thought will change the way you look at the people around you, maybe even the things you do with your spare time, or even just the way you light the campfire next time. All of these are opportunities for skill building, and some volunteer work can get you a first aid course or more and CPR under your belt as well. You also look hard at what tech you would be able to sustain on your own. It's a short list if you aren't going with 'old tech', are wealthy to get enough of something beforehand that people would want to take it from you, or aren't darned handy and already living off grid. Things we take for granted would be pretty much gone.
So you look at your skill set(s) and decide where you might want to go with that, too.

That said, I'm a lover of a good 'space opera' too...and happy endings are fun, as long as you put them in perspective.

I am ever reminded of Ashley Wilkes and the rest gathered together and going to go whup the yankees and be home for supper any time people talk of CWII. We would be foolish to not achieve our ends by peaceful means to restore the Republic, if at all possible, rather than to resort to the carnage for combatant and civilian alike that would inevitably result from armed conflict, but foolish to shrink from that if it is the only resort.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2016, 11:50:42 pm »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2016, 02:30:05 pm »
Currently reading "3012: The Artifact" a self published freebie at http://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/3012-The-Artifact

Its about a time traveler stuck in the year 3012 nearly 1000 years after the EPA had taken all control of the government. Everything from guns to coffee has been outlawed and the population has been conditioned to avoid thinking too much. The traveler had time transported himself to under an ice sheet because he was expecting global warming in the future but found an ice age and trhe southern edge of the ice is only a couple hundred miles north of Richmond VA.

I'm only about 10% of the way into the book this morning but its got a clear anti oppressive govt theme. Many of these self published freebies are crappy but this one is actually quite readable.

geronl

« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:01 pm »
Currently reading "3012: The Artifact" a self published freebie at http://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/3012-The-Artifact

good to know!

geronl

« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2016, 03:52:58 am »
The new video from STAR CITIZEN has my hopes up that it might actually be finished in my lifetime. It looks awesome, a few glitches showed up, but the game looks like it could be really awesome when done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2016, 09:11:48 pm »
2016 Hugo Awards

The Hugo Awards
August 20, 2016

The 2016 Hugo Awards were presented on the evening of Saturday, August 20, 2016 at a ceremony at MidAmeriCon II, the 74th World Science Fiction Convention. Administration of the 2016 Hugo Awards is exclusively the responsibility of MidAmeriCon II. The Hugo Awards are not administered by the Hugo Awards Web Site.

3,130 valid final ballots were cast by the members of MidAmeriCon II. Per the WSFS Constitution, each category must have at least 25% (1,488 ballots) participation; otherwise “No Award” must be presented in this category. This did not happen in any category. In the list below, we show the number of ballots cast in that category.
More

Women and authors of color won big at this year's Hugo Awards

Andrew Liptak
The Verge
August 21, 2016

This year’s Hugo Awards were awarded last night at MidAmeriCon II in Kansas City, with works such as N.K. Jemisin’s The Fifth Season and Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti walking away with the top prizes. You can read the entire list of winners here, but this year’s awards require a careful look.
More

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2016, 09:19:37 pm »
2016 Hugo Awards

The Hugo Awards
August 20, 2016
More

Women and authors of color won big at this year's Hugo Awards

Andrew Liptak
The Verge
August 21, 2016
More

Hmm, seems like the SJWs have gotten better organized in their voting. Oh well, DragonCon's Dragon Awards are more relevant to my interests anyway.
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2016, 09:22:30 pm »
Hmm, seems like the SJWs have gotten better organized in their voting. Oh well, DragonCon's Dragon Awards are more relevant to my interests anyway.

It's just that the Rabid Puppies are spending all their time and energy cheering Trump.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2016, 10:08:27 pm »

Actually, I think it's that the Sad Puppies have realized their point has been made, and that pretty much no one cares about the Hugo Awards other than as a marker for works to avoid.  The Dragons are much more representative of the best of the genre, anyway.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2016, 12:51:52 am »
@geronl, @Doug Loss, you might both be right.  :pondering:
Let it burn.

Online Ghost Bear

Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2016, 12:44:59 am »
Ever wonder what the night shift on the Next Generation did during their shift?

Well... wonder no more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

That is kinda funny

Offline uglybiker

nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2016, 11:54:20 am »
If you get the Smithsonian Channel, Building Star Trek Premieres...

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/building-star-trek/0/3436402
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:57:05 am by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2016, 11:57:48 am »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/