Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423167 times)

geronl

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2016, 11:41:54 pm »
Saw Terminator: Genisys  **nononono*
Basically a mash-up of the earlier Terminator movies.

Saw Snowpiercer .. Very convoluted premise, very weird... I kind of, sort of liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5PwfEMBM0

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2016, 12:21:14 am »
Just a heads-up.  Tom Kratman has made his 2003 novel, "A State of Disobedience," a free download on  the Baen Free Library http://www.baen.com/a-state-of-disobedience.html and Amazon (it may not have updated to show as free yet).  It's a clear roman a clef predicting the result of a Hillary Clinton presidency.  Try it, you'll like it

Eh... I read Kratman's first "Carrera" novel, "A Desert Called Peace". His style didn't really appeal to me.  YMMV.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2016, 12:09:15 am »
Just finished watching Elysium on TV again.

It gets dumber every time I see it.

Social justice pandering that says rich people are bad and want poor people to suffer for some obscure reason. So you send a few hundred medical ships to earth to treat billions of people it would barely scratch the surface and the system would collapse pretty quickly leaving everyone no better off and the rrich would be forced to join in the suffering.

I do like Charlto Copley in it though.

geronl

« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2016, 06:26:59 am »
Just finished watching Elysium on TV again.

It gets dumber every time I see it.

I haven't seen it, what channel airs it?

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2016, 10:01:33 am »
I haven't seen it, what channel airs it?

I think it was on FX or FXX. It will probably run a few more times over the next week or so.

Its OK to watch if you don't let the story line to interfere. Charlto Copley is excellent in it.

geronl

« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2016, 11:23:39 am »
I saw After Earth on FXM and it was not that good, it was meh, a vehicle for Will Smith to attempt to make his son a star. Neither did well IMO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2016, 07:14:23 pm »
I saw After Earth on FXM and it was not that good, it was meh, a vehicle for Will Smith to attempt to make his son a star. Neither did well IMO
It was an okay show. I thought the kid did fairly well, considering. Star material? Well, time will tell.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2016, 02:53:04 am »
Gravity is better than I thought it would be

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »
http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

I'm making my 3 novels/1 Viking Saga available Free this Friday and Saturday at Amazon, August 13th and 14th. If you didn't download them last time please help yourself this time.

Completely free. No strings attached. No email lists. No spam.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

geronl

« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2016, 06:08:57 pm »
PIXELS

I already know it's horrible, should I watch it anyway?

geronl

« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2016, 03:50:07 am »
I like to write stuff. So I have spent all month reading up on third world countries. I was trying to find one that could be brought up to first world standards relatively easily. I haven't found one. It is the attitudes, education, culture and other things in a country that helps keep them down, not external forces. Although the occasional civil war doesn't help at all. So, I have decided that particular story is not going to get written unless it's science fiction and set on a really foreign planet.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2016, 05:32:00 am »
I like to write stuff. So I have spent all month reading up on third world countries. I was trying to find one that could be brought up to first world standards relatively easily. I haven't found one. It is the attitudes, education, culture and other things in a country that helps keep them down, not external forces. Although the occasional civil war doesn't help at all. So, I have decided that particular story is not going to get written unless it's science fiction and set on a really foreign planet.
Just wipe it clean with a pandemic or other disaster and have first-worlders move in.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2016, 07:21:30 am »
South Korea was a third-world hell hole after the Korean War.

Japan was a backwards nation at the fall of the Tokugawa shogunate (1868).

China suffered through the collapse of the Qing dynasty, disintegration into warlord states, a Japanese invasion, a Civil War, and the worst of Maoist communism in the last 100 years.  They are now soon to eclipse America as the world's largest economy.

That is the kind of thing I was looking for, I just don't see it happening in places like Liberia, which I read up on the most. It would be awesome if it did, of course. If it happens again, bet on an Asian nation. As much as I would like to see it happen in Central or South America I doubt it will soon. (Chile came close. Before WW2, Argentina was rocking along. Pre-Castro Cuba was apparently pretty good too.

Long-term, who knows?

geronl

« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2016, 07:23:19 am »
Just wipe it clean with a pandemic or other disaster and have first-worlders move in.

That's a different story. Set in former Benghazi, lol. I don't know if it will get finished though.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #289 on: August 09, 2016, 12:29:06 pm »

Botswana.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2016, 01:11:28 pm »
Botswana.

Nigerian Christians (Mostly urban) do quite well here but they're educated English speakers with similar values despite Boko Haram in the outback.

geronl

« Reply #291 on: August 09, 2016, 07:15:53 pm »
Botswana.

Botswana is ravaged by HIV-AIDS to the point where they will need to replace their workforce with foreigners.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »
There's your pandemic hook right there.
@geronl Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone just had the worst Ebola epidemic in history.

Fictionally, a little mutation tweak to make the virus airborne or give it greater lifespan on surfaces or objects or even better skin penetration....and just a little deadlier.

The whole overwhelmed medical response, people running into the bush, traditional funeral rites wet of problems (which were very real) would compound that.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #293 on: August 09, 2016, 10:30:24 pm »

I wish I could write. I've got ideas (some in great detail) but I just don't have the skill.

geronl

« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2016, 10:31:12 pm »
@geronl Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone just had the worst Ebola epidemic in history.

Fictionally, a little mutation tweak to make the virus airborne or give it greater lifespan on surfaces or objects or even better skin penetration....and just a little deadlier.

The whole overwhelmed medical response, people running into the bush, traditional funeral rites wet of problems (which were very real) would compound that.

There is that whole hygiene and monkey meat (Bush meat) thing. They still haven't much recovered from the civil wars.

geronl

« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2016, 10:31:40 pm »
I wish I could write. I've got ideas (some in great detail) but I just don't have the skill.

I'm not that good, but I can't make myself stop trying. :p

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »

With respect - yes you do.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2016, 10:36:16 pm »
I'm not that good, but I can't make myself stop trying. :p

Someone suggested that I try one of these voice to text programs so the story can flow more naturally.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2016, 11:37:35 pm »
There is that whole hygiene and monkey meat (Bush meat) thing. They still haven't much recovered from the civil wars.
That 'bushmeat' also includes the migratory fruit bats (considered a delicacy) also thought to be a reservoir for the disease, and the reason the outbreaks are sporadic, varied in location without other clear patterns, and were associated with caves, mine shafts, etc.

The latest patient zero was believed to be a toddler who may have picked up some fruit contaminated with guano, and typical of toddlers, saw food and started eating...Over 10,000 dead, and another nearly that many who survived through herculean international agency efforts to combat the disease, many of whom were health care professionals or volunteers (imho the real heroes of the epidemic).

But in hard times, and even in good, 'bushmeat' has a following, and is even sold in the US in places. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-bushmeat-idUSTRE51L1A720090222, for example.

The civil wars were devastating, add in the epidemic, and the likes of Boko Haram,  and the region is having a hell of a go.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #299 on: August 09, 2016, 11:38:48 pm »
I was just looking up some Liberian slang, research, I almost swallowed an ice cube from my sweet team at the definition of "tay-tay water"... breast milk   :silly: