Author Topic: The Mysterious Case of Ted Cruz PAC’s $1/2 Million ‘Donation’ to Help Carly Fiorina  (Read 4093 times)

Offline AnybodyButaDem

http://lawnewz.com/uncategorized/mysterious-case-of-ted-cruz-pacs-half-million-donation-to-help-carly-fiorina/

Editor’s Note: This article was first published March 30, 2016.

Months ago, before the Republican race was whittled down to just three candidates, a very curious thing happened. Ted Cruz‘s super PAC ‘donated’ $500,000 to Carly Fiorina‘s super PAC. A few articles popped up at the time, and the Federal Election Committee even issued a letter asking the Cruz super PAC to better explain what the donation was for.

To be clear, a half a million dollars is not a small donation, and, at the time, it was the largest expense that the PAC had paid out. So why the heck would Cruz’s PAC hand over that kind of money in the midst of a heated campaign splintered with so many candidates? In an interview in October,  Kellyanne Conway, president of Cruz’s PAC told CBS News, that they made the donation in June “because we thought she had important things to say that weren’t being heard.” She added, “we are all in for Ted Cruz for President.”

Do you seriously believe that a group that was pushing for Cruz to be president several months ago would want to help his rival, Carly Fiorina? That makes no sense. The reason that LawNewz.com uncovered in the Cruz PAC’s recently amended filings with the FEC raises even more questions.

“The failure of this super PAC to adequately describe the purpose of this transaction – undermines the public’s right to know,” Campaign Legal Center Executive Director Paul Ryan told LawNewz.com.

In the new filing, under the reason category instead of saying “other disbursement” like they had marked previously, Keep The Promise I (the name of the Cruz super PAC) amended the filing to say “transfer to IE only committee.” Uh? An “IE Only Committee” is legalese for “super PAC.”  What the Cruz super PAC means by “Transfer to IE Only Committee” is that it gave money to a different super PAC. Okay, well, thanks for amending the disclosure, but that still gives us no indication about what this money was used for, and why it was given to Cruz’s opponent.  And, in fact, legal experts believe that federal rules may require the super PAC to mark this as a donation not a transfer anyway.

“Even if this Cruz supporting super PAC describes the purpose (in their amended disclosures), that still doesn’t answer the why question — the motivation is what is interesting and intriguing,” Ryan said.

It is intriguing. I was prompted to research this particular donation because longtime Donald Trump friend and confidante Roger Stone brought it up in a recent interview, when he was addressing the National Enquirer article that accused Ted Cruz of having affairs with five different mistresses. (Something that Cruz has dismissed as ‘garbage’ and ‘lies’)

“And you have to wonder whether these women, one of whom worked for the Carly Fiorina campaign, and then shortly thereafter Ted Cruz pays Carly half a million dollars. Ted despises Carly, and Carly despises Ted. What is the $500,000 for? Can you say hush money?” Stone said in the interview. Stone, a longtime GOP political consultant, was the only one quoted ‘on the record’ for the Enquirer story. His claim definitely sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it’s now exploding on the internet. Plus, it wouldn’t be the first time a presidential candidate  used hush money to cover up an affair.

Of course, fast forward to now, Fiorina is backing Cruz in his campaign for presidency. Interestingly, Fiorina was recently out campaigning with him in Wisconsin when a Daily Mail reporter asked Cruz point blank about whether he had affairs. Fiorina quickly jumped in before Cruz could say a word.

“I’m going to comment. This is an example of the media playing to Donald Trump’s tune. Donald Trump is a serial philanderer, by his own admission,” Fiorina said.

Okay, so we have no idea if the two are connected, but we do know that it is very unusual for a Cruz-supporting PAC to give money to his opponent. We also know that the reason that the PAC stated in their amended disclosures is even more curious, and provides even fewer answers.

“This is very rare, I can’t recall another instance in which one super PAC contributed to another super PAC supporting an opponent, ” election law expert Paul Ryan said.

I emailed Cruz’s PAC Keep the Promise for further explanation, they pointed me back to their previous statements on the matter in which the executive director said that Keep the Promise I “supports Ted Cruz for President” but “will offer support to other candidates.”

Cruz’s campaign has not returned a call. We will continue digging to see if we can find out what this money was used for. But, as you know, the federal rules are pretty lax when it comes to requiring superPAC to make disclosures.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It isn't mysterious at all except to these conspiracy blogs. It is very common for these PACs to help clear the books on campaign debt, especially to rival candidates who could be beneficial for a candidate or the cause.

Keep the Promise PAC is extremely above par and run by some good folks.

Of course, the National Enquirer types are going to put unrelated conspiracies together worse than moon landing hoax believers. Of course, you notice nothing became of the National Enquirer/Roger Stone charges of mistresses. They got the story out there then didn't follow through on proof... all they needed to do was seed a false story in enough people's minds to cause doubt and become 'common knowledge', part of the Alinsky way this campaign has been run.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:11:32 am by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

...surprise, surprise, the source, LawNewz is not a 'legal website', it is part of Dan Abrams celebrity tabloid empire, all of which, are on par with the Enquirer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Abrams#Gossip_Cop

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I see whoever is running the Drudge Report tonight is in full-on Trump campaign mode.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
...surprise, surprise, the source, LawNewz is not a 'legal website', it is part of Dan Abrams celebrity tabloid empire, all of which, are on par with the Enquirer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Abrams#Gossip_Cop
Does that mean the story about the $500,000 is false?

I hope Cruz and Carly have their ducks lined up, but based on performance to date, I doubt it.

She is now a two time political loser, and was ousted at HP after tens of thousands lost their jobs, in California. Every time she gets in the news, they speak out.

The campaign moves to California. Both will run into unforgiving media, a majority of voters not a bit like Cruz, and now by association Carly either.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

I see whoever is running the Drudge Report tonight is in full-on Trump campaign mode.

Holy crap I can't believe Drudge actually ran with that. Besides the fact that they've had many stories in past elections about campaigns writing off each other's debts, (pretty common as I stated above), it might as well be citing Perez Hilton talking about politics the source is so bad.

Of course, he also posted the National Enquirer garbage so....

This really is becoming the Alinsky campaign...

Offline ABX

No, it takes a nothing story about a PAC helping write off a campaign debt and twists it in with a discredited and unrelated National Enquirer affair story.

It is like typical tabloid garbage, take a tiny grain of truth, then weave a big false story (usually followed by a question mark so you are 'just asking questions' not actually accusing), adding in unnamed sources, and playing to people's ignorance, all to plant seeds of doubt, or worse.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No, it takes a nothing story about a PAC helping write off a campaign debt and twists it in with a discredited and unrelated National Enquirer affair story.

It is like typical tabloid garbage, take a tiny grain of truth, then weave a big false story (usually followed by a question mark so you are 'just asking questions' not actually accusing), adding in unnamed sources, and playing to people's ignorance, all to plant seeds of doubt, or worse.
Have you seen truth_seeker's posts the past few weeks? It seems like the majority of them fit that description perfectly.

Offline ABX

One other thing that is revealing about this, Dan Abrams is a YUGE Hillary guy for a long time. It looks like much of his site is dedicated to either defending Hillary against accusations or pushing these conspiracies that help Trump.. hmmmm...

Abrams' history pimping for Hillary goes way, way back too..
https://www.datalounge.com/thread/6574712-why-is-dan-abrams-obsessed-with-hillary-clinton-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Have you seen truth_seeker's posts the past few weeks? It seems like the majority of them fit that description perfectly.

Dude, I didn't write the story so your personal attack on me is out of line. I try to avoid personal attacks here, in keeping with the owners' wishes, but if you push me and provoke me intentionally, I might give you turnabout.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Funny how the Trumpets didn't care one whit about Carly until Cruz announced her as his VP choice. Now it's full-on pit bull frenzy.

That should tell you something. Cruz is a worthless shady loser nobody, but these guys act like they're going to have to scrape their shorts out later.

The queens doth protest too much. At least they can use whatever bathroom they want though.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

Funny how the Trumpets didn't care one whit about Carly until Cruz announced her as his VP choice. Now it's full-on pit bull frenzy.

That should tell you something. Cruz is a worthless shady loser nobody, but these guys act like they're going to have to scrape their shorts out later.

The queens doth protest too much. At least they can use whatever bathroom they want though.

Funny how the Cruzaders castigated and insulted the intelligence of Carson, Christie, Sessions, Palin,  Eastwood, Giuliani, Knight and all others that voiced support for Trump.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Funny how the Cruzaders castigated and insulted the intelligence of Carson, Christie, Sessions, Palin,  Eastwood, Giuliani, Knight and all others that voiced support for Trump.

Which you would would say is something like desperation. So why then are the Trumpets so antsy?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Relic

I hope Cruz and Carly have their ducks lined up, but based on performance to date, I doubt it.

She is now a two time political loser, and was ousted at HP after tens of thousands lost their jobs, in California. Every time she gets in the news, they speak out.

The campaign moves to California. Both will run into unforgiving media, a majority of voters not a bit like Cruz, and now by association Carly either.

Cruz is much like Nixon, but with less charisma and integrity.

HAPPY2BME

Carly Fiorina’s bogus ‘secretary to CEO’ career trajectory (Fact Checker biography)

Editor’s Note: Every candidate running for president likes to highlight certain aspects of his or her biography. This is an occasional series taking a deeper look at 2016 candidates’ claims about their personal, professional or political record. We welcome suggestions for future fact checks, which we ultimately will compile as a collection. See our complete Scott Walker biography collection here.

“I started as a secretary, typing and filing for a nine-person real estate firm. It’s only in this country that you can go from being a secretary to chief executive of the largest tech company in the world, and run for president of the United States. It’s only possible here.”
— Business executive Carly Fiorina (R), interview on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” Sept. 21, 2015

“My story, from secretary to CEO, is only possible in this nation, and proves that everyone of us has potential.”
— Fiorina, second GOP debate, Sept. 16, 2015

“A self-made woman, she started her business career as a secretary and went on to become the first, and to date, the only woman to lead a Fortune 20 company.”
— Fiorina’s biography on her 2010 campaign Web site for U.S. Senate seat in California on her rise to CEO
Pl
Here are two instances where Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina tells her story of how she started as a secretary and went on to be the first female chief executive of a major technology company. (NBC/CNN)

GOP presidential candidate Carly Fiorina tells this only-in-America life story in nearly every speech. She uses this description — of how she began her business career as a secretary and went on to be the first female chief executive of a major technology company — to portray how she overcame the odds to challenge the status quo.

In fact, Fiorina’s PAC, CARLY for America, owns the domain for FromSecretaryToCEO.com, a Web site dedicated to her life story. It evokes a rags-to-riches-esque narrative reminiscent of a Horatio Alger novel — where the main character, with grit, hard work and some luck, lifts himself out of humble beginnings to achieve success.

So we dug into her career trajectory.

The Facts

Fiorina’s mother was an abstract artist and homemaker, and her father was a law professor who taught at Stanford, Cornell and Yale universities, and became Duke Law School dean. Joseph Sneed, her father, also was appointed deputy U.S. attorney general under President Richard M. Nixon, and served as a longtime federal appeals court judge in San Francisco.

Sneed was a prominent conservative judge who helped to select Kenneth Starr to investigate the Clintons’ Whitewater investments. He was known for his strong work ethic and held high standards for his children, especially for his studious middle child, Cara Carleton Sneed, now known as Carly Fiorina.

Fiorina grew up New York, Connecticut, California, London, Africa and North Carolina, as her father moved between schools while rising up the academic ranks. She graduated from Stanford with a major in history and philosophy. She wrote her honors thesis on medieval judicial systems.

“Because I had always assumed I’d go to graduate school, I thought of college as a time for pure learning. My parents encouraged this approach, and so I had the wonderful experience of studying the subjects that truly interested me,” Fiorina wrote in her 2007 memoir, “Tough Choices.”

She worked as a receptionist at a hair salon to pay for college room and board. During summers off from Stanford, she says she worked secretarial jobs through the temp agency Kelly Services (then Kelly Girls). One of her temp jobs was typing bills of lading in the shipping department of Hewlett-Packard. (Kelly Services declined to confirm her employment or provide any details, citing employment regulations.)

After Stanford, Fiorina went off tolaw school at University of California-Los Angeles to please her father, who had expected that she would follow in his footsteps. But she hated it, and dropped out after one semester. When she broke the news to her father, he responded: “I’m very disappointed. I’m not sure you’ll ever amount to anything,” she wrote.

She began looking for jobs in want ads, and was hired as a receptionist at Marcus & Millichap, a commercial property brokerage firm with nine or ten employees at the time. She became known as “the Stanford student,” and the brokers at the firm were impressed with her.

Fiorina wrote of a broker named Ed Dowd, who began giving her more responsibilities beyond secretarial work, such as writing proposals and participating in strategy sessions about upcoming negotiations. Dowd, who still lives in Santa Clara County, confirmed this account to The Fact Checker. George Marcus and Bill Millichap said in a statement that they encouraged her “to pursue a career as an investment real estate agent with our company. She ultimately went back to school and her career took a different path. Our experience with her was very positive.”

Fiorina credits her time at the firm in 1976 as the pivotal experience that helped her realize she wanted to pursue a career in business:

“I started to identify with the people of Marcus & Millichap and experienced, for the first time, the feeling of being on a team. My academic studies had been reasonably solitary. I liked this newfound teamwork. … Their [Marcus and Millichap] confidence in my abilities gave me the courage, ultimately, to pursue an MBA. And they taught me an invaluable management lesson: a boss’s confidence is a powerful motivator. Because they saw potential in me, I began to look for it in myself.”

But after working there for a year, she “was still seeking and stumbling and restless. I felt like I needed to stretch, that I needed to change my surroundings and explore for a bit,” Fiorina said in her 2001 commencement speech at Stanford. So she quit, married her college sweetheart (whom she later divorced), moved to Italy and taught English.

In Italy, she realized she wanted to attend business school and began studying for entrance exams. She applied, but the Italian mail was slow and she missed the application deadline for the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business.

She returned to the U.S., went to see the school’s dean, asked him to accept her and wouldn’t take no for an answer. The dean recalled her asking: “So, can a liberal arts student from Stanford compete with the analytical jocks you have around here?” according to “Backfire: Carly Fiorina’s High-Stakes Battle for the Soul of Hewlett-Packard,” a 2003 book by journalist Peter Burrows. The dean was impressed, and accepted her. He recommended her to join the management track at AT&T upon graduation.

Fiorina got the job, and started as a sales representative in 1980. She was promoted to her first management position two years later. She moved to AT&T’s federal systems procurement arm, where she met Lou Golm, the vice president of federal systems. Golm recommended Fiorina to one of the most prestigious and elite mid-career management fellowships in the world, at the Sloan School of Management at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Golm also had graduated from the program, whose alumni network includes former U.N. secretary general Kofi Annan and Ford Motors Chief Executive Bill Ford.

AT&T sponsored Fiorina for the one-year fellowship, which now costs as much as $180,000 in tuition, living expenses, health care and class supplies.

At Sloan, she was introduced to the world of senior managers, meeting with and learning from chief executives of various companies. She described the year as a “great luxury — a sudden intermission in our lives when we could change the pace, tempo and nature of how we spent our days,” learning with other “very driven, type A overachievers who were focused on goals and accomplishments.” She realized she could become a chief executive herself one day. Through her fellowship, Fiorina earned her second master’s degree in business administration, and she was placed on a senior management track at AT&T.

She then went on to lead a spin-off of Lucent. In 1998, Fortune Magazine named her the “most powerful woman in American business,” largely as a result of her role with the spin-off. Recruiters, including from HP, began calling her after the story in Fortune. In July 1999, HP hired her as chief executive.

It is clear that Fiorina’s experience as receptionist and secretary at Marcus & Millichap was a defining moment. Fiorina’s spokeswoman, Sarah Isgur Flores, said that job put Fiorina “on the path to becoming a CEO and, she hopes, made her a better one.” Yet the description that Fiorina went “from secretary to CEO” glosses over several other key details, as described above.

When asked how the description accurately captures her career trajectory, Isgur Flores responded: “She was a secretary. Later, she became a CEO. I don’t think she’s ever claimed there was nothing in between.”

The Pinocchio Test

At The Fact Checker, we take a “reasonable person” standard to examining claims and reaching conclusions. We take no stance on Fiorina’s qualifications as a business executive. Fiorina’s description of rising “from secretary to CEO” conjures a Horatio Alger-like narrative where a character starts at the lowest ranks of an industry, pulls themselves up by their bootstraps and, against all odds, reaches the top position in the industry.

When Fiorina uses this phrase, she often pairs it with saying she came from a “modest and middle class family,” or “challenging the status quo,” which frames her story as an unlikely upstart. She also pitches it as an uniquely American experience.

But the description glosses over important details. Her father was dean of Duke Law School when she was at Stanford, meaning Duke would have paid for most of her college tuition. She graduated from Stanford, and her elite degree played a role in the stories of her at Marcus & Millichap (she was the “Stanford student”) and her convincing the business school dean to accept her into the MBA program (“So, can a liberal arts student from Stanford compete with the analytical jocks you have around here?”).

She worked briefly as a secretary in between law school and business school, but she always intended to attend graduate school for her career. She moved up through AT&T with her MBA, and was placed on a fast track to senior management after her company sponsored her to attend one of the most elite mid-career fellowships in the world. Her role as senior executive at Lucent caught the attention of HP recruiters, to become the company’s chief executive.

Fiorina uses a familiar, “mailroom to boardroom” trope of upward mobility that the public is familiar with, yet her story is nothing like that. In telling her only-in-America story, she conveniently glosses over the only-for-Fiorina opportunities and options beyond what the proverbial mailroom worker has. As such, she earns Three Pinocchios.

Three Pinocchios

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/09/25/carly-fiorinas-bogus-secretary-to-ceo-career-trajectory-fact-checker-biography/

Offline flowers

A-Lert

Which you would would say is something like desperation. So why then are the Trumpets so antsy?

So who are those posters you accuse of being antsy? 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
So who are those posters you accuse of being antsy?

You are on this thread, correct?
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Nothing but more false gutter talk by Trump supporters.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Nothing but more false gutter talk by Trump supporters.

The $500k transfer is not false.  It happened.  Either ignore it or comment on it, but don't call me a liar for posting accurate information.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-did-ted-cruzs-pac-give-half-a-million-to-carly-fiorinas/

Why did Ted Cruz's PAC give half a million to Carly Fiorina's?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:37:18 pm by AnybodyButaDem »

A-Lert

You are on this thread, correct?

I'm on a number of threads. Carly doesn't mean a thing to me. I remember how conservatives blasted her handling of Hewlett Packard. Now she is a fine choice for VP. Situational "conservative principles".  :silly:

A-Lert

The $500k transfer is not false.  It happened.  Either ignore it or comment on it, but don't call me a liar for posting accurate information.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-did-ted-cruzs-pac-give-half-a-million-to-carly-fiorinas/

Why did Ted Cruz's PAC give half a million to Carly Fiorina's?

It's another case of situational conservative principles.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I'm on a number of threads. Carly doesn't mean a thing to me. I remember how conservatives blasted her handling of Hewlett Packard. Now she is a fine choice for VP. Situational "conservative principles".  :silly:

Who exactly were these conservatives?
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I think they were Chuck DeVore supporters back in her 2010 primary.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Since you asked...  :whistle:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,180968.msg714846.html#msg714846

I think what is important to remember is that Fiorina is an outsider along with Trump and Carson. They are running under the "Republican umbrella"; that is it.  They have no other political ties.  They have no other political experience.  That is the attraction and the drawback for these candidates.  So, I don't see that Fiorina will be "forced" to step down. She is quite wealthy and the only way I see her stepping down is if her poll numbers drop to where she is in the very bottom and even at that I just don't see her dropping out. She wants to be the first female president regardless of what price she has to pay. She is in it strictly for Carly.  No one else and certainly not the American people and she certainly isn't running out of patriotism.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,180968.msg714859.html#msg714859

No, she didn't tell the truth.  She stated that the SEC did a thorough investigation.  The SEC didn't do an investigation.  She lied.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,180968.msg714991.html#msg714991

There are several issues about Firoina which lead me to believe she is not a conservative, nor is she a patriot.  She ran against Barbara Boxer for heaven's sake and lost; but obviously between the two of them Fiorinia is the more conservative. I like Erick Erickson of Red State's assessment of her during her run off with Boxer; underneath she is a squishy moderate:

..."we didn’t really trust or know anything about Fiorina. Carly’s conservative record was thin to nonexistent, and there were many troubling signs that she held liberal views. From her praise of Jesse Jackson, to her playing the race and gender cards against DeVore, to her support for the Wall Street bailouts, to her qualified support for the Obama stimulus, to her past support for taxation of sales on the Internet, to her waffling on immigration, to her support for Sonia Sotomayor, to her Master’s thesis advocating greater federal control of local education, to her past support for weakening California’s Proposition 13, to her statement to the San Francisco Chronicle editorial board that Roe v. Wade is “a decided issue,” Carly Fiorina’s oft-repeated claim to be a “lifelong conservative” was only plausible in the universe of NRSC staffers who recruited her in the first place.During the primary, Fiorina aggressively positioned herself to the right, aided by millions in self-funding and the support of a DC-based network more interested in her money and her connections than in any conservative principles....