Author Topic: “A Republic, if you can keep it.” Donald Trump and the Tyranny of the Mob…  (Read 25152 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Every word you've said is correct.

We are facing dark days, but God is faithful!

I think that Trump is going to take us down the gay road.  I actually think that he is Obama's candidate of choice who is going to continue Obama policy as he said.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

A-Lert

What Trumpers don't recognize is they are the opposite side of the same coin as the Bernie/Hillary supporters. They want govt to solve all their problems and guarantee them the life "they should have had".

I know most Trumpers don't see it, but Christianity is under attack and when Trump had the opportunity to defend it against the LGBT movement he sided with them. We are approaching the day when people will only be allowed to worship in their church, but not live out their faith once they walk out the door. Trump has no sensitivity to this nor do a lot of his followers.

The POTUS does not legislate, make or interpret law. Neither do we citizens.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I think that Trump is going to take us down the gay road. 

What, specifically, would President Cruz need to do to change the direction?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Sometimes leadership is setting a good example.  Simply not celebrating gay pride or pandering for the gay vote sends a message.

Sometimes leadership is setting a good example.  Simply not celebrating gay pride or pandering for the gay vote sends a message.

So that would be enough?  If President Trump doesn't celebrate gay pride and continues not to pander for the gay vote, then you'd be satisfied?
Issue handled?

Offline Chosen Daughter

I know that he wouldn't support bathroom bills.  I don't believe that the type of sex you desire gives you any different Constitutional rights than any other person.  You know that this could be a whole discussion on its own.  So we will stay reserved here.  However everyone has the right to choose how to live but they don't have a right to force it on us all.  I trust that Cruz is well versed in Constitutional right and would protect the rights of all citizens.  Not cater to people that want to destroy the meaning of marriage.  Not people that want to destroy the basic right to go into a bathroom and know that you are not in the presence of people of opposite sex.  Nor have you children enter a bathroom with perverts taking advantage of decaying moral standards.  And listen the liberals are all over this transgender bathroom push.  It is Trump getting ready to continue Obama's legacy.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cowboyway

when Trump had the opportunity to defend it against the LGBT movement he sided with them.

New Yawk values.
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

So that would be enough?  If President Trump doesn't celebrate gay pride and continues not to pander for the gay vote, then you'd be satisfied?
Issue handled?
I'm not sure how to answer that question as I have so many more issues where Trump fails that I think are more important.  Gay rights is not in my top 10, although I understand where others see it as a central issue of moral decay.

I can't even point to a time I have disagreed with Trump on the issue of gays, although I think I would be more comfortable with Cruz on the issue as fellow Christian.

I do not want to condemn people for what they do in the privacy of their own home.  At the same time I cringe at the endorsement of gay lifestyles in popular culture.  I would like to see the pendulum of public sentiment swing back at least a little towards a return of discouraging homosexuality as unhealthy.

I know that he wouldn't support bathroom bills.  I don't believe that the type of sex you desire gives you any different Constitutional rights than any other person.  You know that this could be a whole discussion on its own.  So we will stay reserved here.  However everyone has the right to choose how to live but they don't have a right to force it on us all.  I trust that Cruz is well versed in Constitutional right and would protect the rights of all citizens.  Not cater to people that want to destroy the meaning of marriage.  Not people that want to destroy the basic right to go into a bathroom and know that you are not in the presence of people of opposite sex.  Nor have you children enter a bathroom with perverts taking advantage of decaying moral standards.  And listen the liberals are all over this transgender bathroom push.  It is Trump getting ready to continue Obama's legacy.

So, as long as President Cruz doesn't support bathroom bills, you're good.  Yes?

A-Lert

I think that Trump is going to take us down the gay road.  I actually think that he is Obama's candidate of choice who is going to continue Obama policy as he said.

Absolutely hysterical! :silly:

Offline Springfield Reformer

@Chosen Daughter
@Once-Ler

Specifically, Cruz has signaled he would not concede the current imbalance (gay rights trumps religious rights) as the new normal, but would work to restore a more consistently libertarian vision, i.e., where people with religious convictions are not compelled, for example, to give up baking cakes because they won't bow to the gay mainstreaming agenda. The principal means of accomplishing this is to populate the federal judiciary with justices who understand the proper balance of constitutional rights.  They are less common than they should be, but they do exist. Furthermore, to the extent federal legislation can support that or other social issues, Cruz would back that sort of legislation, and would faithfully carry out those laws once passed.

My perspective on this is based on my own legal experience working for Liberty Counsel as an intern. Liberty Counsel is a Constitutional law firm specializing in the defense of people of faith, many of whom really are under siege from militant secularists working tirelessly to weaken the presence and influence in the public sphere of theism generally and Christianity in particular. If I learned anything from that experience, it is that there is no reason for believers to lay down and accept the eradication of everything they hold dear. There are many relevant areas of the law that can be affected by a president to support a true culture of liberty.  We can achieve a stable balance of fundamental rights.  But it will not happen if one of the most influential persons in accomplishing that balance has quit the fight before it has even started, as DT has done. DT is triangulating these issues to maximize his voting base. Cruz is a true believer. Nobody is perfect, and that includes Cruz. But based on his track record, I believe he will fight for these issues as hard or harder than Obama fought for leftist principles.  That's why he has my vote.

Peace,

SR

Edited. Should be "princiPAL means," not "princiPLE means." I do that all the time.  Spellchecker lets me, so it must be spell checker's fault.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:12:43 am by Springfield Reformer »
Winston Churchill: No Peace Till Victory!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If elected, Trump, the business man, will treat the federal government like a business.  The goal of any business owner is to make a profit and grow his business.  >snip<

Once his faithful follows realize that the primary reason they supported him will not come to fruition they will have buyers remorse but by then it will be too late.
A businessman would have the place run more efficiently. With the exception of the post office, the military, and the mint/bureau of engraving, there is little in the bloated Federal Leviathan I want to be more efficient, especially those agencies and Departments which have been on an extraConstitutional mission to usurp the power and Rights of We, the People. <p>Some serious downsizing would be in order, but a reduction in scope as well. When confronted with the NEA, the SEIU, the environmental lobby (recall New York banned hydraulic fracturing), the anti gun lobby (including Bloomberg), will Trump stand on the side of the Constitution--will he even know what that is? And I haven't even touched on the selling of baby parts by Planned Parenthood which has enjoyed his warm praise, nor the idea to make Obamacare more efficient instead of just eliminate it.

Nope, I'm not seeing what I want to, and combined with an autocratic nature and the overwhelming desire to 'win', regardless of whether his stance is correct, I have a very hard time even considering being neutral toward Trump, much less  voting for him. The real clincher for me, though, is the blatant character assassination of Ted Cruz. Another deal-breaker, and the last straw.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

So, as long as President Cruz doesn't support bathroom bills, you're good.  Yes?

Yeah right.  Only Trump supporters can be that simplistic.  All you have to say to them is yuuuuuuge wall.  Forget it will have a yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge door.

Offline Cowboyway

Nope, I'm not seeing what I want to, and combined with an autocratic nature and the overwhelming desire to 'win', regardless of whether his stance is correct, I have a very hard time even considering being neutral toward Trump, much less  voting for him. The real clincher for me, though, is the blatant character assassination of Ted Cruz. Another deal-breaker, and the last straw.

If the election were today I would not vote for Trump and, if he's nominated, I'm not sure that he can do anything between now and November to change my mind. 
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

A businessman would have the place run more efficiently. With the exception of the post office, the military, and the mint/bureau of engraving, there is little in the bloated Federal Leviathan I want to be more efficient, especially those agencies and Departments which have been on an extraConstitutional mission to usurp the power and Rights of We, the People. <p>Some serious downsizing would be in order, but a reduction in scope as well. When confronted with the NEA, the SEIU, the environmental lobby (recall New York banned hydraulic fracturing), the anti gun lobby (including Bloomberg), will Trump stand on the side of the Constitution--will he even know what that is? And I haven't even touched on the selling of baby parts by Planned Parenthood which has enjoyed his warm praise, nor the idea to make Obamacare more efficient instead of just eliminate it.

I can certainly understand your feelings.

Trump is doing what he needs to do...go after every single vote he can find.  He's bringing more and more Independents and Democrats into his tent, and by extension, the Republican Party.

He has to do this because he's being savaged by Social Conservatives who fail him miserably in their election-year litmus tests.  They seem him of weak and moral character...unwilling to acknowledge his business and developer acumen.

And, of course, he's savaged by the GOPe, who fear losing their little piece of the Fiefdom known on Capitol Hill.

My dad said..."Son!  It's not how you start.  It's how you finish!  That's how people will remember you."

I'm convinced history will show Trump to be an enormously successful American President, a crude man of few words, with a erudite, keen grasp of any given issue.

He's the perfect man to be answering that phone at 3AM.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chosen Daughter

@Chosen Daughter
@Once-Ler

Specifically, Cruz has signaled he would not concede the current imbalance (gay rights trumps religious rights) as the new normal, but would work to restore a more consistently libertarian vision, i.e., where people with religious convictions are not compelled, for example, to give up baking cakes because they won't bow to the gay mainstreaming agenda. The principle means of accomplishing this is to populate the federal judiciary with justices who understand the proper balance of constitutional rights.  They are less common than they should be, but they do exist. Furthermore, to the extent federal legislation can support that or other social issues, Cruz would back that sort of legislation, and would faithfully carry out those laws once passed.

My perspective on this is based on my own legal experience working for Liberty Counsel as an intern. Liberty Counsel is a Constitutional law firm specializing in the defense of people of faith, many of whom really are under siege from militant secularists working tirelessly to weaken the presence and influence in the public sphere of theism generally and Christianity in particular. If I learned anything from that experience, it is that there is no reason for believers to lay down and accept the eradication of everything they hold dear. There are many relevant areas of the law that can be affected by a president to support a true culture of liberty.  We can achieve a stable balance of fundamental rights.  But it will not happen if one of the most influential persons in accomplishing that balance has quit the fight before it has even started, as DT has done. DT is triangulating these issues to maximize his voting base. Cruz is a true believer. Nobody is perfect, and that includes Cruz. But based on his track record, I believe he will fight for these issues as hard or harder than Obama fought for leftist principles.  That's why he has my vote.

Peace,

SR

Excellent.  That is really what I was trying to get at.   You have clearly and precisely communicated what a Cruz presidency would do to turn this country back to the original intent of law.

Trump is doing what he needs to do...go after every single vote he can find.  He's bringing more and more Independents and Democrats into his tent, and by extension, the Republican Party.

He has to do this because he's being savaged by Social Conservatives who fail him miserably in their election-year litmus tests.  They seem him of weak and moral character...unwilling to acknowledge his business and developer acumen.

And, of course, he's savaged by the GOPe, who fear losing their little piece of the Fiefdom known on Capitol Hill.

My dad said..."Son!  It's not how you start.  It's how you finish!  That's how people will remember you."

I'm convinced history will show Trump to be an enormously successful American President, a crude man of few words, with a erudite, keen grasp of any given issue.

Good to see you posting in the political forum, my friend.  I'm loving the TOS refugees, but it is getting way to lopsided against Trump.  I can't broaden my horizons if I'm not challenged.  I'd like to see a little more thoughtful Trump advocacy represented here...

not a fair fight, but at least the 30-40% support represented by primary voters.

You know where I stand.  Trump may have a keen grasp of issues like immigration, distrust of the Republican party leadership, maybe even fair trade, but I doubt he holds any conviction on those issues.

Once he takes the nomination, if he takes the nomination, we will see a whole new Trump.

That being said, you offer a considered argument, in a considerate tone.

Post more. :beer:

Offline Cowboyway

I'm assuming that you mean limited vocabulary because he definitely talks more that he listens.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Yeah! If you're crazy!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

The biggest thing any President can do to help America is get the heck outta the way.   Everything I've seen from Trump indicates "HE" is going to fix everything.  That means more regulation and more executive orders.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline bilo

I do not want to condemn people for what they do in the privacy of their own home.  At the same time I cringe at the endorsement of gay lifestyles in popular culture.  I would like to see the pendulum of public sentiment swing back at least a little towards a return of discouraging homosexuality as unhealthy.

What people are only slowly waking up to is that leaving people alone in the privacy of their own home is no longer enough. Now you must not only endorse the homosexual agenda but you must celebrate it. If you don't you will be made to pay financially and socially. You're ability to earn a living will be destroyed and you will be shunned as a bigoted homophobe. The same thing is begining to happen with islam. You can not publicly criticize it, or point that the terrorists are only doing what they are told to do in their koran. We are fighting the collapse of western civilization. Trump is nowhere to be found on this. He's too busy "making America great again", just like obama bringing us "hope and change".
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

@Chosen Daughter
@Once-Ler

Specifically, Cruz has signaled he would not concede the current imbalance (gay rights trumps religious rights) as the new normal, but would work to restore a more consistently libertarian vision, i.e., where people with religious convictions are not compelled, for example, to give up baking cakes because they won't bow to the gay mainstreaming agenda. The principal means of accomplishing this is to populate the federal judiciary with justices who understand the proper balance of constitutional rights.  They are less common than they should be, but they do exist. Furthermore, to the extent federal legislation can support that or other social issues, Cruz would back that sort of legislation, and would faithfully carry out those laws once passed.

Peace,

SR

Edited. Should be "princiPAL means," not "princiPLE means." I do that all the time.  Spellchecker lets me, so it must be spell checker's fault.  :whistle:

:amen:

Couldn't say it better. One of the reasons I support Cruz is throughout his time in DC he has not wavered in supporting conservative positions. He has been under attack almost from the get go by the GOPe, such as Boehner, but he just keeps pushing ahead. I am more confident he will do what he says if he's elected POTUS than I have been in a long time.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline MACVSOG68

What people are only slowly waking up to is that leaving people alone in the privacy of their own home is no longer enough. Now you must not only endorse the homosexual agenda but you must celebrate it. If you don't you will be made to pay financially and socially. You're ability to earn a living will be destroyed and you will be shunned as a bigoted homophobe. The same thing is begining to happen with islam. You can not publicly criticize it, or point that the terrorists are only doing what they are told to do in their koran. We are fighting the collapse of western civilization. Trump is nowhere to be found on this. He's too busy "making America great again", just like obama bringing us "hope and change".

Given that as you say Trump is not going to do anything about the homosexual agenda, what is it you want or think Cruz will do?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
If elected, Trump, the business man, will treat the federal government like a business.  The goal of any business owner is to make a profit and grow his business. 

Spot on. I commented on another thread that equating business success (especially in unsavory business) as a proof of POTUS competency must be challenged. Well done
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:54:05 pm by don-o »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Given that as you say Trump is not going to do anything about the homosexual agenda, what is it you want or think Cruz will do?

Stop kowtowing to it for starters!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien