Author Topic: “A Republic, if you can keep it.” Donald Trump and the Tyranny of the Mob…  (Read 25366 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
To counter A-Lert's rather apparatchik approach to posting disinformation,    HERE   is an analysis from National Review of Trump's donations to New York politicians: 

GOP primary voters should ask themselves if they really want to hand the Republican presidential nomination to someone who embraces cronyism, shovels 58 percent of his campaign gifts to Empire State Democrats, and backs politicians of both parties.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:08:20 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
To counter A-Lert's rather apparatchik approach to posting disinformation,    HERE   is an analysis from National Review of Trump's donations to New York politicians:
That any conservative would support this man is baffling to me. Those who support him might as well have voted for Algore and sKerry. The results would be similar.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That any conservative would support this man is baffling to me. Those who support him might as well have voted for Algore and sKerry. The results would be similar.

IMHO no conservatives do however there are some folks who CALL themselves conservative who do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I've been told "nobody likes you" so I'm not surprised I'm in the cross-hairs of the anti-Trump clique/cult  I believe in being forthright, but not vulgar. I have little patience with posters who knowingly lie.  I was at the Doctor yesterday and my BP is 129/64. Not bad for a senior.

Get that diastolic up into the 70s! Vigorous walking and deep breathing should do it.

You are annoying as hell at times, but I'm sort of used to you being around now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Springfield Reformer

Quote from: BigHomer on Today at 09:12:23 AM

IMHO no conservatives do however there are some folks who CALL themselves conservative who do!

I believe that some genuine conservatives support Trump, in the same way I believe some genuinely compassionate people supported Obama.  It's like the good girl and the bad boyfriend. People can be good, intelligent people who have for whatever reason decided to put their trust in someone who makes them a promise. When that person later disappoints them, there will be denial, rationalization, cognitive dissonance, etc., because they will often keep on trusting them despite all evidence pointing to the fact that they should not. 

But then there comes a truth so real it cannot be denied, and that can lead to serious disillusionment, bitterness against all future promise makers, an inability to trust anyone, no matter how worthy they might be of that trust. That's when spirits die, and people surrender to a dismal status quo, and become slaves to their own lack of faith. That is where I fear we are headed if Trump becomes the new "boyfriend" of the would-be conservative movement. When he follows his life pattern and proves unfaithful to us, our ability to trust even good leaders will be broken for generations to come, and a long, dark night of despotism will follow that will make our 8 year war with Obama look like a pleasant stroll in the park.

Peace,

SR
Winston Churchill: No Peace Till Victory!

Offline Cowboyway

When he follows his life pattern and proves unfaithful to us, our ability to trust even good leaders will be broken for generations to come, and a long, dark night of despotism will follow that will make our 8 year war with Obama look like a pleasant stroll in the park.

If elected, Trump, the business man, will treat the federal government like a business.  The goal of any business owner is to make a profit and grow his business.  His first order of business will be to create the Border Wall Agency.  It will rapidly become another gigantic money sucking agency that will show little real results and become yet another burden to the taxpayer.

Of course, the Carnival Barker will be in front of the camera everyday telling us how 'terrific' the agency is, that he's hired the best and brightest to run it and that construction of Trump's Wall will begin as soon as the Mexicans agree to fund the construction and all the lawsuits are settled.  This, of course, will provide The Donald with the excuse that he needs not to deport any illegals since that would be a waste of time until the 'terrific' wall is completed.

Once his faithful follows realize that the primary reason they supported him will not come to fruition they will have buyers remorse but by then it will be too late.
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

If elected, Trump, the business man, will treat the federal government like a business.  The goal of any business owner is to make a profit and grow his business. 

What an excellent point!  One I have not seen before.

Offline musiclady

Well, I dunno, I hear there are solutions for that kind of problem.  Ovens?  No, no, that was a different religion.

Lions and the coliseums, that's the ticket!

Or maybe we can all just let ISIS figure it out; they seem to have been pretty effective in eliminating Christians in the Levant.

If you're gonna go all Trumper-hate on devout Christians, you should have the courage of your convictions and go all the way.

Unfortunately, to a few around here, just mentioning Trump's blatant immorality brings about screeches of "holier-than-thou" anti-Christian rhetoric.

I doubt any of these few would have the courage to actually act out on their hatred of Christians in real life.

It just makes them feel like tough guys in the safety of their dark basements to attack us all for bashing their god, the Donald....... 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

A-Lert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign_endorsements,_2016

A very impressive list. Maybe anti-Trumps  should question their own choices.

Offline Mesaclone

Unfortunately, to a few around here, just mentioning Trump's blatant immorality brings about screeches of "holier-than-thou" anti-Christian rhetoric.

I doubt any of these few would have the courage to actually act out on their hatred of Christians in real life.

It just makes them feel like tough guys in the safety of their dark basements to attack us all for bashing their god, the Donald.......

1. Nobody I've read on here "hates" Christians.
2. Rational criticism of all candidates is quite welcome.
3. Comparing the GOP nominee to Hitler or the citizenry of Sodom and Gomorrah isn't rational criticism.

Why the need to be a martyr...what is this "blatant immorality" you speak of?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:41:16 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline bilo

I think you are mistaken in assuming Trumpers wouldn't "act out" their hatred for conservative Christians. They are driven by anger and they hate anyone who dares to oppose them. On more than one occasion at dinner with friends who are not Christian they have voiced disdain for the "social conservatives" who don't understand what's important. I've tried explaining that for me and fellow Christians the value of life and protecting the most innocent is paramount. They just shake their heads. I have asked them if they have an objective source to instruct them in their morality and to build their laws on, or if it is just will of the people that determines what's right and wrong. Trumpers usually respond it's the latter.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

A-Lert

I think you are mistaken in assuming Trumpers wouldn't "act out" their hatred for conservative Christians. They are driven by anger and they hate anyone who dares to oppose them.

:bs: :bsflag: 8detect8

Offline Mesaclone

I think you are mistaken in assuming Trumpers wouldn't "act out" their hatred for conservative Christians. They are driven by anger and they hate anyone who dares to oppose them. On more than one occasion at dinner with friends who are not Christian they have voiced disdain for the "social conservatives" who don't understand what's important. I've tried explaining that for me and fellow Christians the value of life and protecting the most innocent is paramount. They just shake their heads. I have asked them if they have an objective source to instruct them in their morality and to build their laws on, or if it is just will of the people that determines what's right and wrong. Trumpers usually respond it's the latter.

Holy drama queens, batman!

No Trump supporters here, and none of the many I know personally, hate Christianity. Or any other religion, for that matter. Most likely in your own life, you are seeing what you want to see when you talk to pro-Trump folks. The Social Conservatives are starting to sound like the Al Sharpton/Jessie Jackson "we're under siege and underprivileged" baiters...and its absurd. Drop the Victimology card and move forward.

For the record, Trump supporters don't hate Islam, Hindi, Judaism, Christianity or Rastafarians (etcetera) either....but would rather none of these groups seek to make government a branch of their belief system. Someone's faith is a personal thing, and by its nature works to shape our political views...and its important that we respect people of all religions....but we must do so without trying to set one above the other.

And let me help you out on one key point you mentioned....there IS no objective source that can instruct you on morality. This is true because "morality" is not a Christian ideal any more than it is a Buddhist or Shintoist ideal (for example). Point being, we all have our subjective and personal sources that inform our ethics and morality...and that is as it should be...not sure why that should really dominate a decision about who we vote for in this primary.

So by all means, vote for the man/woman you think is the best option available to lead the nation....but lets not pretend that Ted Cruz is any more a "moral" man than is Donald Trump...even Christianity will tell you that it is only God who can see what lies in a man's heart.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:45:00 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

A-Lert

Holy drama queens, batman!

No Trump supporters here, and none of the many I know personally, hate Christianity. Or any other religion, for that matter. Most likely in your own life, you are seeing what you want to see when you talk to pro-Trump folks. The Social Conservatives are starting to sound like the Al Sharpton/Jessie Jackson "we're under siege and underprivileged" baiters...and its absurd. Drop the Victimology card and move forward.

For the record, Trump supporters don't hate Islam, Hindi, Judaism, Christianity or Rastafarians (etcetera) either....but would rather none of these groups seek to make government a branch of their belief system. Someone's faith is a personal thing, and by its nature works to shape our political views...and its important that we respect people of all religions....but we must do so without trying to set one above the other.

And let me help you out on one key point you mentioned....there IS no objective source that can instruct you on morality. This is true because "morality" is not a Christian ideal any more than it is a Buddhist or Shintoist ideal (for example). Point being, we all have our subjective and personal sources that inform our ethics and morality...and that is as it should be...not sure why that should really dominate a decision about who we vote for in this primary.

So by all means, vote for the man/woman you think is the best option available to lead the nation....but lets not pretend that Ted Cruz is any more a "moral" man than is Donald Trump...even Christianity will tell you that it is only God who can see what lies in a man's heart.

One has to wonder what lies in the heart of a man who refers to another as an "orange baboon"?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
One has to wonder what lies in the heart of a man who refers to another as an "orange baboon"?

Or Moochelle.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline HootOwl

Your opinion of me is worth zero, just like your candidate. LOSER!

Methinks it's time for you to go back home to Free Republic. :seeya:

Offline musiclady

Interesting insight into those who are anti-social conservative...... who bear deep animosity to those who value life and moral standards.  I think you may be right that some of them might act out on their feelings against Christians.

As been pointed out above, it's happened many times throughout history and is happening right now in the Middle East.

You can see the complete apathy of the left towards the genocide going on (as evidenced by the Obama administration), and I'm afraid that some of those Progressive standards that Trump brings to the table is seeping through into the hearts of some of his followers.

That's the innate danger of making up your own rules.  Without absolute moral standards, disaster is sure to follow.

btw, expect mockery from one or two here for your statement of truth.  It's all they know......
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:26:27 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

A-Lert

Methinks it's time for you to go back home to Free Republic. :seeya:

I never made FR my home. I was banned from there years ago and unlike most, I never looked back.

PS Look at posts in context. You did read what jazzhead posted to me, did you not?

In case you haven/t noticed, Cruz is losing.

Offline bilo

Interesting insight into those who are anti-social conservative...... who bear deep animosity to those who value life and moral standards.  I think you may be right that some of them might act out on their feelings against Christians.

As been pointed out above, it's happened many times throughout history and is happening right now in the Middle East.

You can see the complete apathy of the left towards the genocide going on (as evidenced by the Obama administration), and I'm afraid that some of those Progressive standards that Trump brings to the table is seeping through into the hearts of some of his followers.

That's the innate danger of making up your own rules.  Without absolute moral standards, disaster is sure to follow.

btw, expect mockery from one or two here for your statement of truth.  It's all they know......

What Trumpers don't recognize is they are the opposite side of the same coin as the Bernie/Hillary supporters. They want govt to solve all their problems and guarantee them the life "they should have had".

I know most Trumpers don't see it, but Christianity is under attack and when Trump had the opportunity to defend it against the LGBT movement he sided with them. We are approaching the day when people will only be allowed to worship in their church, but not live out their faith once they walk out the door. Trump has no sensitivity to this nor do a lot of his followers.

Offline bilo

Thank you for illustrating the point I'm making. The USA was founded on Judeo-Christian values. The values-morality are drawn from the only objective unchanging source available, Scripture. Our laws are based on our morality. The laws may change as the people become less than they should be, but the objective source doesn't.

What you describe is mob rule. You have no objective source for truth and as a result you are subject to the whims and emotions of the day.  This is why Trump is such a disaster. He is just a reflection of the mob.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Not to worry musiclady.  That is just a common thing for unbelievers to do when they don't have anything else.  Its like the old standby for them to use when a person is a Christian.  Happens all the time.   Doesn't really matter what the argument.  Rejoice because they first hated Jesus.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The USA was founded on Judeo-Christian values.

Yes, yes she was.  But not on the Sanhedrin model.

Offline musiclady

Not to worry musiclady.  That is just a common thing for unbelievers to do when they don't have anything else.  Its like the old standby for them to use when a person is a Christian.  Happens all the time.   Doesn't really matter what the argument.  Rejoice because they first hated Jesus.

:amen:

It's all good!

Offline musiclady

What Trumpers don't recognize is they are the opposite side of the same coin as the Bernie/Hillary supporters. They want govt to solve all their problems and guarantee them the life "they should have had".

I know most Trumpers don't see it, but Christianity is under attack and when Trump had the opportunity to defend it against the LGBT movement he sided with them. We are approaching the day when people will only be allowed to worship in their church, but not live out their faith once they walk out the door. Trump has no sensitivity to this nor do a lot of his followers.

Every word you've said is correct.

We are facing dark days, but God is faithful!