Author Topic: If a candidate drops out of the race what happens to his/her delegates?  (Read 613 times)

HAPPY2BME

https://www.quora.com/U-S-Presidential-Elections-If-a-candidate-drops-out-of-the-race-what-happens-to-his-her-delegates

Alan MacNeill

It depends on several factors.

1. Technically, a delegate is only bound to vote for their candidate if their candidate is actually nominated for the nomination at the convention.

Not all candidates who ran get nominated for the nomination. If a delegate's pledged candidate is not nominated for the nomination, then the delegate is free to vote their conscience.

2. There are two sorts of "Dropping out".

A Candidate can formally withdraw from the race. If that happens, their pledged delegates are automatically freed to vote their conscience.

A Candidate can also just "Suspend My Active Campaign". If they do this, they are still *legally* "Running" for the office, they just are not making speeches and the like. Candidates do this so they can keep their campaign committees open and raise money to pay off campaign debt (fun fact, there are still technically candidates "Running" for election to the Presidency in 2008, their campaigns are working on retiring the campaign debts).

A candidate who is just "suspending" maintains their bound delegates (Assuming they Are nominated for the nomination at the convention, see #1 above).

3. A candidate, when dropping out, can formally endorse and recommend another candidate for the office. If they do that, their delegates are NOT *required* to vote for the other candidate, but it's heavily expected.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've already asked this question regarding the Ohio delegates won by Kasich two times in this forum, and no one has responded.

To wit:
I read somewhere that under [either] Ohio state law or party rules, if the winner of Ohio's Republican delegates (Kasich) drops out of the race before the convention, that those delegates automatically are assigned to the "next-in-line" finisher of the primary election.

That "next-in-line" is "you-know-who".

No one here has said otherwise.
I'm wondering if -this- is the reason that Kasich has stayed "in the race" and not "withdrawn"....?

Does anyone know?

Offline R4 TrumPence

All I could find was this article.  But it doesn't mention next inline. Says their rules changed this year too
http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2016/03/2016-republican-delegate-allocation-ohio.html

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02