Author Topic: Nothing that Happened Today Changed Anything  (Read 18462 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Nothing that Happened Today Changed Anything
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2016, 01:44:17 am »
DC I love you man and respect your position even though I might not agree with it.  The air of moral superiority you speak of can be found in supporters on both sides and I am not thinking about you.
I have read posts of trump supporters questioning the capabilities of anti-trump posters in even the understanding of basic vocabulary and comprehension skills and so on. And yes, the trump supporters have seen much much worse. But, it is not a one-way street.

:beer:

The trouble with the "moral superiority" argument is that merely pointing out the fact that Trump, himself, is deeply immoral causes an emotional reaction in his supporters and a defense mechanism that makes them assume that you are calling them immoral because they support him.  And it's just plain false.

I have been called every name in the book (not whining, just reporting facts) by Trump supporters because I won't back down from saying that Trump's immorality is a significant issue, and that integrity in a leader is important.

I'm fine with being attacked with ad hominems because I think it is critical that Trump's bad behavior continues to be mentioned and discussed.

If being called a few names by Trump's fans is the price to be paid for sounding the alarm about his lack of character, it will be worth it in the end.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2016, 01:48:08 am »
I especially dislike the fact that Trump and his supporters lack any morals at all!

Maybe you should practice what you preach!

Buddy, you know I'm on your side in most issues, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  Can't speak for Trump or his supporters in general, but in this forum the ones I know have a very strong moral core, just as I believe the Cruz people here do.  I hope we can all stay away from this stuff.  Anyway, how about my guy Kasich?  :laugh:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2016, 01:54:14 am »
Buddy, you know I'm on your side in most issues, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  Can't speak for Trump or his supporters in general, but in this forum the ones I know have a very strong moral core, just as I believe the Cruz people here do.  I hope we can all stay away from this stuff.  Anyway, how about my guy Kasich?  :laugh:

Then why do they excuse every immoral thing Their guy has ever said or done!?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2016, 01:55:19 am »
Sorry to inform you that I do not have a narrative that I am trying to make all pieces fit into. But, please point me to where you have criticized trump.
You seem quite obsessed with sophistication, IQ, and intellect. All the candidates have their intellectuals that will back them to the end, no matter what. I still back Rubio when he has no chance, so yes I might have a slight problem with reality at times. However, if Rubio in the end backs trump, I will not follow him down that path. Where have I implied that trump supporters lack sophistication and intellect  Maybe putting in implications that do not exist might have an impact on your own perceptions of posters here.   :pondering: :pondering:come to think of it  I have read some of your posts implying that madness in the thought process of the #nevertrump people. Maybe I should be concerned. :pondering: :pondering:

Your basic assertion that Trump followers never criticize implies a distinction between "us" and "them". And yes, that IS part of a narrative that has formed within the Anti-Trump following, of which you seem to be a part. That narrative, heavily pushed by folks like Sinkspur and Bigun, suggests that Trump follower are blind zombies who accept everything that Trump says as Holy writ...and that we are ignoring his shortcomings and setting aside our core sense of morality to blithely follow Trump where he leads us (by the nose). So when YOU follow that up by asserting he is never criticized by myself and other Trump followers, you are pushing that narrative forward. Perhaps unintentionally, as I'm glad to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have no intention of going back through hundreds of posts to find the comments I've made that were critical of Mr. Trump...they are there, if you wish feel free to dig through everything and find them.

Trump followers fully understand his shortcomings full well; he can be crass and a bully at times, he has an inflated ego and is full of self-importance,  he is sometimes not fully briefed up on important issues, and he lacks message discipline at times. Some of these he shares with other candidates, some are unique to Donald...but his strengths so outweigh these factors that on balance he is the best candidate we have in the GOP.

In fact, most of his faults are a two sided coin; what seems crass is often just candor, what may appear to be "bully-ish" is bold assertion, a lack of "upbrief" is really just an aspect of not being a professional politician, and poor message discipline is often Trump speaking and acting with genuine passion. Like all of us, the man is complex and flawed...but he brings a lot to the table and THAT is why Trump supporters back him.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:57:48 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2016, 01:56:21 am »
amy walter ‏@amyewalter  14h14 hours ago

If R’s who are “resigned” to Trump think they’ve seen the worst of him, just wait until the D’s start dumping the oppo. It’s gonna get worse
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:46 am »

I agree that the ones we know here on TBR are strongly moral people, and I've told them that individually.  (There are a few disruptors about whom I'm not at all sure).

The problem is that even those who are moral have made the choice that morality in a leader is not important, simply by the fact that they have chosen to strongly support an amoral man in spite of the fact that they, themselves have high standards, and that is problematic to many of us.

It's important that Trump's debauchery continue to be discussed because it's a critical part of his overall lack of character, and should disqualify him from being chosen as our Republican nominee.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:07 am »

That is the salient question.  WHY?

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2016, 02:00:37 am »
I agree that the ones we know here on TBR are strongly moral people, and I've told them that individually.  (There are a few disruptors about whom I'm not at all sure).

The problem is that even those who are moral have made the choice that morality in a leader is not important, simply by the fact that they have chosen to strongly support an amoral man in spite of the fact that they, themselves have high standards, and that is problematic to many of us.

It's important that Trump's debauchery continue to be discussed because it's a critical part of his overall lack of character, and should disqualify him from being chosen as our Republican nominee.

His debauchery?
 :smokin: Do tell.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2016, 02:01:45 am »
That is the salient question.  WHY?

You can't have it both ways!  You either believe in something or you don't. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:58 am »
You can't have it both ways!  You either believe in something or you don't.

I tend to agree, but I know a handful of people whom I know to be moral who love this amoral creep.

My question is, why do they have standards for their own behavior that they don't think matter in a President.

There's something complex going on inside their souls.  I'm not sure why, but it makes no sense that they believe something for themselves that they completely disregard in Trump.

Yet they clearly do.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2016, 02:09:24 am »
I tend to agree, but I know a handful of people whom I know to be moral who love this amoral creep.

My question is, why do they have standards for their own behavior that they don't think matter in a President.

There's something complex going on inside their souls.  I'm not sure why, but it makes no sense that they believe something for themselves that they completely disregard in Trump.

Yet they clearly do.

Oh it's VERY clear!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2016, 02:14:31 am »

Yet they clearly do.

It's cultic.   Obama-like:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2016, 02:16:14 am »
Since this is a thread without a topic, is it not time to move this to the discussion area?

Maybe we can make room for some current news?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2016, 02:25:23 am »
Since this is a thread without a topic, is it not time to move this to the discussion area?

Maybe we can make room for some current news?

So start a thread with current news.  This is a multitasking forum and threads are not buried because your boy is getting killed in one.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2016, 02:29:32 am »

We've personally been called terrible names. Every day. 

Tired of typing them.  Yahoos [in flyover land], Scumbags [by association, I guess]. 

The latest today needed a sincere apology at the point of a 'gun'.

The problem I have is when they can't help themselves while criticizing the candidate to gratuitously include anybody who possess a brain cell to vote for the guy.

Why the need to make it personal ALL the time? 

And I'm sorry, but while it's being done, it more often than not, contains a snobbish air.

I can read.    :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:30:34 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2016, 02:31:17 am »
Your basic assertion that Trump followers never criticize implies a distinction between "us" and "them". And yes, that IS part of a narrative that has formed within the Anti-Trump following, of which you seem to be a part. That narrative, heavily pushed by folks like Sinkspur and Bigun, suggests that Trump follower are blind zombies who accept everything that Trump says as Holy writ...and that we are ignoring his shortcomings and setting aside our core sense of morality to blithely follow Trump where he leads us (by the nose). So when YOU follow that up by asserting he is never criticized by myself and other Trump followers, you are pushing that narrative forward. Perhaps unintentionally, as I'm glad to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have no intention of going back through hundreds of posts to find the comments I've made that were critical of Mr. Trump...they are there, if you wish feel free to dig through everything and find them.

Trump followers fully understand his shortcomings full well; he can be crass and a bully at times, he has an inflated ego and is full of self-importance,  he is sometimes not fully briefed up on important issues, and he lacks message discipline at times. Some of these he shares with other candidates, some are unique to Donald...but his strengths so outweigh these factors that on balance he is the best candidate we have in the GOP.

In fact, most of his faults are a two sided coin; what seems crass is often just candor, what may appear to be "bully-ish" is bold assertion, a lack of "upbrief" is really just an aspect of not being a professional politician, and poor message discipline is often Trump speaking and acting with genuine passion. Like all of us, the man is complex and flawed...but he brings a lot to the table and THAT is why Trump supporters back him.

I guess I missed all those! Were they made in open forum or in the Trump protected zone?  Just one example would be nice!

His strengths are none! That is where we disagree!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2016, 02:32:00 am »
So start a thread with current news.  This is a multitasking forum and threads are not buried because your boy is getting killed in one.

Must be Friday!  Yep!

You're delusional, buddy.

Say hello to President Trump! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2016, 02:32:35 am »

I have, Sink, and so have others.  But this keeps bubbling up, with infighting, and nonsense--with no issue, no sourcing, no topic, and no point.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:33:49 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2016, 02:33:16 am »
We've personally been called terrible names. Every day. 

Tired of typing them.  Yahoos [in flyover land], Scumbags [by association, I guess]. 

The latest today needed a sincere apology at the point of a 'gun'.

The problem I have is when they can't help themselves while criticizing the candidate to gratuitously include anybody who possess a brain cell to vote for the guy.

Why the need to make it personal ALL the time? 

And I'm sorry, but while it's being done, it more often than not, contains a snobbish air.

I can read.    :laugh:

**nononono* 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2016, 02:37:16 am »

I think going after Trump for the moral issues is completely fair, without calling out his support group here immoral.  From what I've seen, they feel his potential to change the political dynamic and beat Hillary outweighs his negatives.  I don't agree with that, but my moral fabric is probably not strong enough to call out my fellow posters for theirs.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2016, 02:38:38 am »
**nononono*

LOL!  You know that surely doesn't include you, Bigun.

You've always been direct in your insults and slams. 

Snobbery for you is impossible. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2016, 02:47:57 am »
I have, Sink, and so have others.  But this keeps bubbling up, with infighting, and nonsense--with no issue, no sourcing, no topic, and no point.

So start your own forum and you can kill threads like this.

Like I said, your boy is getting trashed and you don't like it.  I thought you had a place to go where none of this stuff was allowed?

A-Lert

« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2016, 02:52:59 am »
  I hope we can all stay away from this stuff. 

I agree, but apparently some just don't possess any self-control.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2016, 02:57:10 am »
So start your own forum and you can kill threads like this.

Like I said, your boy is getting trashed and you don't like it.  I thought you had a place to go where none of this stuff was allowed?

I'm your huckleberry!     :laugh:

The closer Trump gets to the magic number the more frantic you become.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2016, 03:04:01 am »
I'm your huckleberry!     :laugh:

The closer Trump gets to the magic number the more frantic you become.

I'm not frantic.  I'm very peaceful, DC.

I'm #NeverTrump and know it's the right decision for me.

It's RIV who's trying to get unfavorable Trump threads buried.