Author Topic: Former McDonald's CEO warns jobs will go to robots under $15 minimum  (Read 1057 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Entry-level McDonald's jobs will go to self-service kiosks rather than to humans under a $15 minimum wage, a former chief of the fast-food giant has warned.

In a guest article written on the Forbes site, former McDonald's USA CEO Ed Rensi wrote that instituting a $15 minimum wage would mean "wiping out thousands of entry-level opportunities for people without many other options."

Arguing that McDonald's franchisees would not be able to absorb the additional labor costs that would come with a minimum wage of $15, Rensi suggested that the restaurant instead would turn to self-service kiosks to replace some employees. Customers don't mind the kiosks and they have been successfully implemented in Europe, he said.

Rensi was writing in response to the campaign for a $15 minimum wage that has seen success in recent months. California and New York have passed laws to gradually raise their hourly wage floors to that level, joining several large cities.

Source: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/former-mcdonalds-ceo-warns-jobs-will-go-to-robots-under-15-minimum/article/2589470

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

Re: Former McDonald's CEO warns jobs will go to robots under $15 minimum
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:59:01 pm »
95% of their employees would be unemployable at that wage

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:47:10 am »
95% of their employees would be unemployable at that wage

The service will improve.  So there is an upside.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:09:24 am »
Finally. A reason to support the $15 minimum. With robots making and serving the food, I might actually get my order right and in a timely fashion.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:20:19 am »
The service will improve.  So there is an upside.

One time I lived near a Jack-in-the-Box, closest place for food. (except for the 75 cent honey buns from a vending machine). They always messed up the order somehow, and weren't too fast, except for that one guy. That one guy, who looked like military, could have ran the whole place himself it seemed like. More than once when he wasn't working, I kept walking so I could get a convenience store hot dog.

That guy and a couple of robots could have made a killing.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:54 am »
Finally. A reason to support the $15 minimum. With robots making and serving the food, I might actually get my order right and in a timely fashion.

I think I'll support it as well..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 01:31:45 am »
One time I lived near a Jack-in-the-Box, closest place for food. (except for the 75 cent honey buns from a vending machine). They always messed up the order somehow, and weren't too fast, except for that one guy. That one guy, who looked like military, could have ran the whole place himself it seemed like. More than once when he wasn't working, I kept walking so I could get a convenience store hot dog.

That guy and a couple of robots could have made a killing.

:beer:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 04:13:59 pm »
I can't wait for self serve kiosks.  I pump my own gas, i scan my own groceries; I can certainly order my own fast food.