Author Topic: Why not legalize all drugs?  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Why not legalize all drugs?
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:05:02 pm »
The War on Drugs is a failure. That is an almost universally accepted truth. Opiate and methamphetamine use is on the rise despite all of our many harsh drug laws. Despite the fact that we spend 80 billion dollars a year fighting drugs. Why keep fighting it? Didn't we learn from prohibition? Our drug war is a boon to organized crime; without it their world falls apart. How will drug lords make a living without illegal drugs? How will dangerous gangs continue to thrive without the illegal drugs they sell? We need to accept that people that want to do drugs are going to do them regardless of the law. After accepting that we need to collectively realize that the most logical option is to stop wasting so many resources fighting them. Instead we should be profiting from them. If we ended the drug war and legalized/taxed drugs we would generate/save a huge amount of money.

"If drugs are legal more kids will use them."

Marijuana use among teenagers has gone down in states that have legalized. Most high school students will tell you it's harder to get a 6 pack than it is to get drugs. Why? Because drugs dealers don't care who they are selling to. A business is going to have to follow laws that won't allow them to sell to minors. Yes, there are loopholes and some minors will still get drugs, but it's a hurdle that doesn't currently exist.

"If drugs are legal our society will be nothing but a bunch of burnouts"

I don't know about any of you, but my decision not to use heroin, meth or some equally bad drug has absolutely nothing to do with the legal status. I don't use them because using them is stupid, and I very much believe most of society chooses not to use those drugs for the same reason. They should be legalized, but like cigarettes we should teach kids about how horrible they are and what they can do to your life. People need to make decisions on their own. It's not the government's place to decide for us what is or isn't an acceptable habit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:16:40 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Wingnut

Re: Why not legalize all drugs?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:24:23 pm »
I'm for it.  We need to find a way to decrease the excess population.  Problem is...  the liberals would spend 1000 times (or More) the money to "cure" and care for the addicts from what they made legal years before than they would have  to enforce the laws against drug usage.. 

A-Lert

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28:51 pm »
I've advocated that for years. The quickest, cheapest and cleanest way of improving the gene pool.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:08:34 am »
... all drugs?

I've heard from some former addicts that ending up in jail was the only thing that got them to sober up.

I'm certainly in favor of ending the war on drugs per se, just not comfortable with making cocaine and heroine legal.

Certainly pot and less harder drugs.

Maybe a solution where it's distributed by the state? I don't know.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:18:18 am »
Yes. Legalize everything. Open hard drug use on the streets will really be great.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:20:47 am »
In the year 1900 you could walk in to any apothecary shop in America and buy all the cocaine, heroin, or anything else you had the funds to pay for. Wish it had stayed that way but it didn't. The advent of government welfare and the resultant erosion of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY makes returning to that a VERY problematic notion IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:29:28 am »
Yes. Legalize everything. Open hard drug use on the streets will really be great.

You'll wake up in a jail cell if you get hammered in public. Same should apply to drugs. People already do drugs all the time all over the place.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:30:09 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:33:26 am »
You'll wake up in a jail cell if you get hammered in public. Same should apply to drugs. People already do drugs all the time all over the place.

Nobody gets picked up on public drunkeness anymore because police depts are stretched thin. Same policy will happen to the heroin/crack/nitrous users. Most cities you can walk around in public with a lit joint now and the police don't care.

This is going to be the side effect of making bad behavior legal.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:39:17 am »
Nobody gets picked up on public drunkeness anymore because police depts are stretched thin.

Yeah, because half of their resources are being spent on arresting kids for smoking pot.

Same policy will happen to the heroin/crack/nitrous users. Most cities you can walk around in public with a lit joint now and the police don't care.

They'll care if they have time to care. No more illegal drugs frees up a lot of police resources. Hell, that'd probably improve their response rate to all other crimes now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:47:33 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 01:03:50 am »
Nobody gets picked up on public drunkeness anymore because police depts are stretched thin. Same policy will happen to the heroin/crack/nitrous users. Most cities you can walk around in public with a lit joint now and the police don't care.

New York has decriminalized public urination

I remember when it was illegal to spit on the sidewalk.

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:27 am »
... all drugs?

I've heard from some former addicts that ending up in jail was the only thing that got them to sober up.

Maybe if we concentrated on the users instead of the producers.

collect welfare? drug test. medicare/medicaid/disability/social security?  drug test.  public housing, public unions, city jobs, federal jobs, unemployment.

drug test them all.  throw their butts in jail for 90 days.  the first time.  full year the second.  move them to work camps along the borders and put them to work.  any guard/agent/govt rep caught smuggling drugs/people gets mandatory life.

we'd have that wall built in a month!

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:27 am »

collect welfare? drug test. medicare/medicaid/disability/social security?  drug test.  public housing, public unions, city jobs, federal jobs, unemployment.

drug test them all.  throw their butts in jail for 90 days.  the first time.  full year the second.  move them to work camps along the borders and put them to work.  any guard/agent/govt rep caught smuggling drugs/people gets mandatory life.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure drug testing welfare recipients ends up costing more money than it saves.
-Socrates

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 11:43:48 am »
maybe....maybe not.

the actual cost of the random tests and administering them - making people go in for their checks or coming in for their test before cash loaded on their cards - would certainly be job producing, even though they may be govt jobs.  keep it private, might actually break out even with all the benefits you WONT have to pay.

the costs upfront probably will be high.  kinda like deporting illegals.  but in the end, how much does it cost to maintain all the children of these drug culture non-parents in education and health care when they've been neglected, paying their non-participating parents money that does NOT get spent on the kids.

worth it in the long run I think to stop the influx at the least. 

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:10:36 pm »

We already have enough people in jail, IMO. We need less non-violent people in jail and more violent people in jail.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:11:06 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 12:58:02 pm »
well, maybe we could use all the white collar criminals to do the drug testing program - kinda like work release.  :shrug:

Until ALL children are raised by a better class of parent, there is NO hope of stopping the drug epidemic.  the work ethic is dead, but there are no jobs anyway. 

want to go the other way, legalize ALL drugs?  OK, so the jails will be filled with the druggies who committed violent crimes before they got locked up.  you end up with a whole lotta victims first, then the jail time. 

I'd prefer to go the testing route.  Take away the goodies.

Think you've moved away from the problem?  Rude awakenings for alot of people when they found drug labs in the pretty picturesque towns where everyone trimmed their lawns with a nail clipper on the weekends.

Maybe there are no fixes.  Maybe the cities will become like scenes from "Escape from New York" where there are so many criminals that they just close the tunnels and bridges and keep them all there.  cheaper than flying them off to a penal colony, anyway!

Online LMAO

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 02:01:15 pm »

There are two unavoidable facts when it comes to drugs and if we legalize them
1)The Drug War was and remains a costly failure

2) The law of unintended consequences will rear it's ugly head if we legalize them all

I have a fairly libertarian mindset when it comes to the thinking of "I don't care what consenting, legal adults do as long as it doesn't infringe on me" but as we have seen with alot of other issues, many times it does end up infringing on others and I believe that blanket legalization of all drugs will do just that
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »
The "drug war" cannot be won, it can only be managed. That is my opinion.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 04:17:34 am »
The "drug war" cannot be won, it can only be managed. That is my opinion.

It can't even be managed. That's been so for long enough.

The War on Drugs is over. We lost.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 04:42:59 am »
The other alternative is do like Singapore and treat any users and sellers harsh, harsh penalties. Maybe that would work but I don't think the public would go along with that.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 05:11:23 am »
The other alternative is do like Singapore and treat any users and sellers harsh, harsh penalties. Maybe that would work but I don't think the public would go along with that.

Great idea.....but you are right.

A-Lert

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 12:56:44 am »
Great idea.....but you are right.

That is exactly the reason a right wing conservative won't win an election in the foreseeable future.

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 01:05:54 am »
That is exactly the reason a right wing conservative won't win an election in the foreseeable future.

Well well well...The Click of the A-Lert High Heeled boy is back in town.

:beer: