Author Topic: Bill Kristol Pushes Gen. Jim Mattis For Third Party Run: "Patriotic Americans" Will Look At This Choice  (Read 397 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
BILL KRISTOL: The only thing that appeals to me is what Reince Priebus just called a dumb idea, which is giving the American people a better choice than Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump... I think an independent candidacy is totally doable, I think it will happen. The ballot access problems are not --

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- coming up on the filing deadlines --

KRISTOL: -- oh, Texas, North Carolina. Every other state -- no other state's filing deadlines' before June 27th. You couldn't wait until the convention. You'd have to decide after Indiana, possibly after California. I think there will be legal challenges in Texas and North Carolina that the deadlines are too early.

In the '80s, five states were successfully challenged in federal court for having such early filing deadlines. And I think a lot of patriotic Americans are going to look at this choice and -- ranging from activists to donors to possible candidates and say the country deserves better than a Clinton-Trump choice...

Jim Mattis happens to be a social liberal. He's more liberal than I am. He's very concerned about the debt. He's a strong national security hawk. Why wouldn't someone like him...

VANDEN HEUVEL: Because he hasn't been participating in the whole election. You will have -- there will be a riot in Cleveland...

KRISTOL: The facts. The facts. I'm saying if Trump was the Republican nominee, the laws permit independent candidates to petition to get on the ballot. It has happened. Ross Perot got 19 million votes. Jim -- or John Kelly, or many other people.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/04/24/bill_kristol_strongly_pushes_gen_jim_mattis_for_third_party_run_totally_doable.html

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Third party efforts have never won in recent times. Wasting time over it is ....wasting time.

The next President will be a democrat or a Republican.

The 3rd, 4th, 5th party candidates, may get a news article, or a TV appearance.

But go ahead, knock yourself out. Maybe they should start picking their VP mates, too like Kasich.

Third place is going to his head, too.

PERSPECTIVE. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

Jim Mattis has some fans on this board. I've never heard of the man and would not even consider him for the presidency.

3rd party runs are so silly.  They never succeed.

Joe Biden's got to be kicking himself for not challenging Hillary.  He would be cleaning up even more than she is.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

Joe Biden's got to be kicking himself for not challenging Hillary.  He would be cleaning up even more than she is.

Could you imagine Trump-Biden debates  :silly: :silly: :silly: