Poll

IF DONALD TRUMP is our nominee, will you vote for him in the General?

YES! HE WAS CHOSEN AT THE CONVENTION
61 (36.1%)
NO! I WILL STAY HOME OR VOTE DOWN TICKET
68 (40.2%)
I WILL WRITE IN TED CRUZ!
37 (21.9%)
I WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY!
3 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Voting closed: May 07, 2016, 04:02:57 am

Author Topic: (POLL #2) VOTE! IF TRUMP IS THE NOMINEE WILL YOU VOTE FOR HIM?  (Read 71360 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: (POLL #2) VOTE! IF TRUMP IS THE NOMINEE WILL YOU VOTE FOR HIM?
« Reply #300 on: May 07, 2016, 03:59:32 am »
Can you say "Mussolini,Part 2".  We can just all him "El Douche". That's close enough.

I think he sees himself as King Trump - like Henry VIII.  There may be similarities (numerous marriages; quashing dissent):

Henry VIII:
"Besides his six marriages and many extramarital affairs, as well as his effort to obtain an annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon which lead to conflict with the Pope, Henry is known for his subsequent and consequential role in the separation of the Church of England from the Roman Catholic Church. His disagreements with the Pope led to his separation of the Church of England from papal authority, with himself, as king, as the Supreme Head of the Church of England and to the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

He is also well known for a long personal rivalry with both Francis I of France and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, with whom he frequently warred.

Domestically, Henry is known for his radical changes to the English Constitution, ushering in the theory of the divine right of kings to England.  ...he greatly expanded royal power. Charges of treason and heresy were commonly used to quash dissent, and those accused were often executed without a formal trial, by means of bills of attainder. He achieved many of his political aims through the work of his chief ministers, some of whom were banished or executed when they fell out of his favor. "

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2016, 05:13:17 pm »
I think he sees himself as King Trump - like Henry VIII.  There may be similarities (numerous marriages; quashing dissent):

Henry VIII:
"Besides his six marriages and many extramarital affairs, as well as his effort to obtain an annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon which lead to conflict with the Pope, Henry is known for his subsequent and consequential role in the separation of the Church of England from the Roman Catholic Church. His disagreements with the Pope led to his separation of the Church of England from papal authority, with himself, as king, as the Supreme Head of the Church of England and to the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

He is also well known for a long personal rivalry with both Francis I of France and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, with whom he frequently warred.

Domestically, Henry is known for his radical changes to the English Constitution, ushering in the theory of the divine right of kings to England.  ...he greatly expanded royal power. Charges of treason and heresy were commonly used to quash dissent, and those accused were often executed without a formal trial, by means of bills of attainder. He achieved many of his political aims through the work of his chief ministers, some of whom were banished or executed when they fell out of his favor. "

All,true,but Mussolini is a more recent reference to a dictator that typical people will recognize. Sadly,most people these days know nothing about history and care even less.

Which is why our politicians keep getting away with so much. People with an interest in history understand the one unchanging thing in the whole world is human nature. All you have to do is look to the leaders in the past and compare their personalities and circumstances to the current and fledgling leaders,and you can draw a pretty accurate chart on how they will act in office.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline WAC

« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
No I will not vote for Trump....I will sit this election out or vote downticket only.....probably vote down ticket and write in Cruz

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2016, 03:17:00 pm »
And after the polling closes, Trump fails to break his 30-something percent ceiling.

In a right-wing forum.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2016, 07:30:49 pm »
I watched both Libertarian debates on Stossel and I actually liked Austin Peterson better than Gary Johnson who I thought was very week on some personal liberty and private property issues (i.e. supported forcing people to provide services against their conscience or religious beliefs, i.e. the bakers)

That does Johnson for me. If I am going to vote for a dictator,I might as well vote for a "honest" (?) one and cast my vote for Bubbette! or Trump.

You can NOT be an actual Libertarian and agree with the premise the state has the authority to force businesses to do business with people they don't want to do business with,unless it is a matter of life or death. Bakers,and others,have as much right to refuse to things offensive to their personal beliefs as anyone else. Claiming they HAVE to bake homosexual-themed cakes for homosexuals is the equivalent of forcing homosexuals to marry hetrosexuals. If one has a right to live according to their beliefs,so does the other.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2016, 04:26:49 am »
Is it too late to vote?

Nevertrump Neverhitlery.

I'll go find a nice 3rd party.
Former Republican.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2016, 01:57:06 am »
Is it too late to vote?

Nevertrump Neverhitlery.

It's never too late to go for a third party, or anything else that will be consonant with your principles.

Offline WAC

« Reply #307 on: May 23, 2016, 04:13:16 am »
Is it too late to vote?

Nevertrump Neverhitlery.

I'm anxious to see what happens when the Convention Committee makes the new rules.....and we'll see thereafter how then goes convention....I'm still holding out for divine intervention!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
I'm anxious to see what happens when the Convention Committee makes the new rules.....and we'll see thereafter how then goes convention....I'm still holding out for divine intervention!

I'm praying for it!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2016, 01:24:59 pm »

What makes you hopeful? You DO realize it will be the same political insiders making the new rules that made the old rules that give them more power and the citizens less power,right?

Why would anyone think the babysitters of the rabid Party People are going to vote for anything that lessens their power and access to the public treasury?

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
No.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #311 on: May 23, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »
Our political system has finally devolved to the point where the Party People's favorite chant of "If you don't vote for X,no matter how horrible they are,you are going to get Y,and they are even worse!"  is now meaningless. The One Ruling Party has now reached rock bottom,and it is no longer possible to do worse than either of the likely suspects,so why bother to vote for either of them?

I have been maintaining for years that the biggest change we need to make to our political system is to have a mandatory "None of the Above" block on the ballots for all election to all public offices,and that in any election where "None of the Above" gets the most votes,the parties that ran a candidate for that office MUST finance another election for that office with their own money,and with another candidate.

Talk about a sure-fire method of getting candidates that appeal to the voters and not the party insiders and their money men!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:09:48 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #312 on: May 23, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »

I saw a post on TOS on a thread that has since been pulled claiming that if Cruz is successful at the Convention, we are all going to be hanging from lamp posts.  There was more, but I can't remember it.  Very threatening.

They want us to vote for their mistake, but if he isn't nominated; they will kill us all.

On that same thread 2DV asked if they would vote for Cruz in the future if he runs again, making note that it took Reagan three tries.  Not a single person said they would.  The comments were derisive such as they wouldn't vote for him for dogcatcher, will never vote for him for anything, his political career is over, going to primary him in 2018, ..., etc.

Not overly bright things to say considering they need our votes.

It just occurred to me that you would never read this about Cruz supporters. Obviously, they're not all like this and in fact the vast majority of them are not, but the Trump movement does seem to attract a certain group of easily unhinged people.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:01 pm »
It just occurred to me that you would never read this about Cruz supporters. Obviously, they're not all like this and in fact the vast majority of them are not, but the Trump movement does seem to attract a certain group of easily unhinged people.

If you mean "pissed off because of not being represented or listened to", unhinged could apply. [gotta wonder if we didn't create that monster ourselves]

I wasn't originally a Trump supporter and at my age, have learned to tone down the emotion.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #314 on: May 23, 2016, 09:51:04 pm »

I saw a post on TOS on a thread that has since been pulled claiming that if Cruz is successful at the Convention, we are all going to be hanging from lamp posts.  There was more, but I can't remember it.  Very threatening.

They want us to vote for their mistake, but if he isn't nominated; they will kill us all.

On that same thread 2DV asked if they would vote for Cruz in the future if he runs again, making note that it took Reagan three tries.  Not a single person said they would.  The comments were derisive such as they wouldn't vote for him for dogcatcher, will never vote for him for anything, his political career is over, going to primary him in 2018, ..., etc.

Not overly bright things to say considering they need our votes.

You say you saw a post that has since been removed - that said Cruz people were going to be hanging from lamp posts.

And then you said:

:wtf!:

First of all - you said yourself the post was deleted.  Any public forum can have trolls that throw Molotov Cocktail statements like that just to instigate  and also to make the site look bad.  The fact that it was removed means that it wasn't an appropriate comment to the admins.  You just happened to see it before they could take it down.  Means they wanted no part of those sentiments.  They did what they should have done. 

Who is this "they"?  "They" want to KILL us all????? 

I know that you don't believe that kind of hogwash - I just know you don't. 

You paint all of us with a pretty wide brush - hard to have rational dialogue with that kind of over-the-top rhetoric. 

I'm just going to assume that you so disturbed by that post that you just got caught up in it and were having an emotional reaction when you saw that.  I know you don't think that I, or the vast majority of Trump supporters, want to kill you.

Sigh.

I hate this political strife as much as anyone - I'm a lover, not a fighter.  I apologize for not realizing the fear and anxiety - not to mention the feeling of hurt - that people that backed other candidates are going through right now.  I'd like to think that most of us really are trying to heal a rift - there's always a few that stick out - but I guess we're trying to push our point of view a little too quickly to allow for a proper grieving period.  I'm going to stay away from these threads for awhile and I think the other Trumpers should too - to give you all time to heal and think about where you are going from here on out. 

We're not changing anyone's mind this way - perhaps making it worse.  It's an emotional cauldron right now and I'm going to back off.  We're all pretty fearful right now and it really shows in almost every thread on this forum.

Believe me when I say that I don't hate, or want to hurt, anyone that doesn't like Trump.  I want to convince people that he is a better choice than the alternative and I realize some think he is the same or worse.  You all need time to work it out.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »
Trump hasn't yet won me over.  He needs to work on it.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2016, 04:00:54 pm »

:amen:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2016, 04:04:56 pm »

Yes. I owe my vote to no one.

He needs to earn it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #318 on: June 08, 2016, 04:20:07 pm »
Yes. I owe my vote to no one.

He needs to earn it.

I'm so old I can remember when almost everybody thought politicians had to earn their votes.

Now it seems like they just demand you vote for them,"or someone even worse will win!"

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #319 on: June 08, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »
I'm so old I can remember when almost everybody thought politicians had to earn their votes.

Now it seems like they just demand you vote for them,"or someone even worse will win!"

goopo

Offline aligncare

« Reply #320 on: June 08, 2016, 08:38:24 pm »
A candidate has only to earn the vote of more supporting voters than the other guy, otherwise known as the loser.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »
Vote forTrump?

OH HELL NO

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #322 on: June 19, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »
No.  I'll either write a selection for President or leave it blank. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #323 on: June 19, 2016, 11:41:12 pm »
Here's an honest question for Trump supporters who argue that the polls showing Trump's national negatives at nearly 70% are manipulated to show Trump in a negative light.

Here, in a forum made up of politically active right of center individuals, the vote shows that 64% of the members have enough of a negative image of Trump that they will not vote for him in the General election.

Who is manipulating this poll, and for what reason?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #324 on: June 19, 2016, 11:53:19 pm »
Here's an honest question for Trump supporters who argue that the polls showing Trump's national negatives at nearly 70% are manipulated to show Trump in a negative light.

Here, in a forum made up of politically active right of center individuals, the vote shows that 64% of the members have enough of a negative image of Trump that they will not vote for him in the General election.

Who is manipulating this poll, and for what reason?

BINGO!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy