Author Topic: Trump Backtracks on Pro-LGBT View  (Read 3619 times)

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: Trump Backtracks on Pro-LGBT View
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 05:29:00 pm »
Why can't we just go back to a system of absolute property rights?  If I own a business i should be able to do whatever I want with it.  If it pleases my clientele and displeases others, too bad.  If i want to have gender neutral bathrooms, I should be able to have them.  If I don't then I should not be compelled.  What is it about this concept that is so foreign to people?  In the end, these issues always come down to either right wing social conservatives or left wing do-gooders trying to force me to do something with MY PROPERTY.  Once we allow that, and the cat has long been out of the bag, in time there really will be no rights associated with owning property that cannot be removed by the tyranny of the majority.

Probably no one would question you if you had single stall bathrooms.  But yeah, it would be an issue with some regardless of which way you went if your business has multiple stalls.   Then of course, since your business is a public accommodation, you're going to come under local and state ordinances as well as federal laws involving safety, equal protection,  and other issues.  It's why the bakeries are in the big fight.  I do agree with you, the cat has been out of the bag for quite a while.  I know with state and local ordinances, the people at least have a chance to get laws changed or stopped.  At the fed level?  Good luck.  Schools, lunch counters, buses, drinking fountains were only the beginning.  But in this current issue they're not all right or left wingers. There are a few moderate conservatives who have concerns.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/04/22/trump-backtracks-on-pro-lgbt-view.html

Trump Backtracks on Pro-LGBT View

Less than 24 hours after saying transgender individuals should be able to “use the bathroom they feel is appropriate,” Donald Trump backtracked from that pro-LGBT position. Speaking with Sean Hannity on Fox News Thursday evening, the Republican presidential frontrunner decided that while he still believes North Carolina’s law overturning local anti-discrimination ordinances is “causing a lot of problems,” he thinks “local communities and states should make the decision. The federal government should not be involved.” This comes despite the fact that there was never any questions over whether the feds should have a say in the matter.

Where did he "backtrack?"  Did he now say he wouldn't allow transgenders in his bathrooms?

Do you ever post factual articles?
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 07:17:49 pm »
To think that I used to actually like Hannity.

:amen:

Dah, dah, dah, dah to dah to dah to dah!

FOX six feet under.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »
His personal opinion is that he would allow transgenders into either bathroom on his properties.  He then says it should be up to cities and states to decide?

I think Kasich's view on opposing gay marriage, but wanting the federal government making laws via SCOTUS on it over states, and telling us to "get over it," is a worse policy position in terms of advocating federalism and the 10th Amendment.  He holds the exact same position Obama and Hillary ran on in 2008.  There is no difference.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:23:40 pm by AnybodyButaDem »
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?