Author Topic: Giuliani: I’d endorse Trump but I don't want to have to defend him  (Read 2521 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/19/giuliani-id-endorse-trump-but-i-dont-want-to-defend-him/

Guiliani:  I'd endorse Trump but I don't want to have to defend him

POSTED AT 10:41 AM ON APRIL 19, 2016 BY ED MORRISSEY

It took Rudy Giuliani quite some time to publicly state that he would vote for Donald Trump in the New York primary, but the former mayor and presidential hopeful doesn’t want people to assume he endorses Trump. Sure, Giuliani thinks Trump’s the best candidate in the field, he told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly last night, but that’s as far as Giuliani’s prepared to go. Specifically, Giuliani wants to keep his distance from Trump when it comes to having to defend his friend’s public remarks and feuds, especially the one with Kelly herself:

Firstly, he said, “I’m not part of the campaign. I don’t want anybody to think that I am an official in the campaign.”

Kelly notes that an endorsement doesn’t necessarily confer official campaigner status, but Giuliani offers another bite at the same apple before getting down to the actual problem:

“Nobody thinks that,” she said. “The New York Post endorsed Donald Trump. I don’t think anybody thinks The New York Post is part of the campaign.”

Giuliani explained that’s he’s a “political person” and would have to make speeches and join Trump’s campaign if he endorsed the billionaire mogul, but that he’s not ready to completely rule out working with him.

Perhaps realizing that he’d just made the same argument that Kelly refuted, Giuliani admitted that he’s uncomfortable fronting for Trump:

“If they would make some of the changes, maybe,” he said.

“There’s no question I believe he is the best candidate,” Giuliani added. “And if people want to interpret that as an endorsement, it is, but it doesn’t require any obligation on my part to have to defend every single thing they do.”

The lawyer in Giuliani has gotten the better of him. If he’s going on television to talk about how Trump is the best candidate for the presidency with the implication that others should follow his example, that’s pretty much a de facto personal endorsement, no? If he’s going on prime-time TV to make that argument, there is a need to defend it, even if it’s just for personal credibility. Like it or not, that also involves explaining how making the kind of broad statements about Mexicans that Giuliani denounces here goes into Giuliani’s decision that Trump is the best representative of the GOP in November.

Giuliani wants to eat his cake and have it too by attempting to evade any responsibility for his own choice as a prominent politician in a presidential primary. He could have just voted for his friend and kept quiet about it, or simply said that friendship was the basis for his vote — and many would have respected that kind of loyalty, even if they disagreed with the choice. By ducking these questions, though, Giuliani leaves the impression that he can’t give a credible answer as to why Trump’s public outbursts are overcome by his other talents for the job, which is a pretty weak position for a quasi-surrogate on prime time.

Still, Giuliani’s doing better in that role than Ben Carson.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:52:55 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Giuliani: I’d endorse Trump but I don't want to have to defend him
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:00:49 pm »
“There’s no question I believe he is the best candidate,” Giuliani added. “And if people want to interpret that as an endorsement, it is, but it doesn’t require any obligation on my part to have to defend every single thing they do.”

Works for me.  Thanks, Rudy! 

#NeverCruz

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 03:04:51 pm »

Works for me.  Thanks, Rudy! 

#NeverCruz

Me too.  Guiliani is a pro and a class act!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:07:16 pm »
Me too.  Guiliani is a pro and a class act!

LOL!! Guiliani will vote for Trump but won't give speeches for him.  He knows Trump makes stupid and insulting statements (like seeing the firefighters on 7/11) and he can't defend those.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 03:10:22 pm »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:33:29 pm by mystery-ak »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 03:10:34 pm »
LOL!! Guiliani will vote for Trump but won't give speeches for him. 

So what?  We'll take the vote. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »
'Cause Drumpf is indefensible. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:40:03 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »
LOL!! Guiliani will vote for Trump but won't give speeches for him.  He knows Trump makes stupid and insulting statements (like seeing the firefighters on 7/11) and he can't defend those.

There's still half of August, and all of Sept and Oct for him to "give speeches for him".

We're ALL waiting for Trump to speak on details once he's the Nominee.

That should get all the "poorly educated" to the polls.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 03:14:48 pm »

Every court that's ruled on the merits would disagree with you.  Just because you think Donnie has a god-given right to the nomination without getting 1,237 bound and pledged delegates doesn't make it so. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:34:35 pm by mystery-ak »

Online DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 03:17:29 pm »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:35:00 pm by mystery-ak »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:35:30 pm by mystery-ak »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 03:38:39 pm »
All of my edits on this thread was to fix the size of the photos....if you don't know how to do it click on your post that I edited and you will see....

img width=700.....that will be in the [] brackets and you can use any number to reduce...I used 700 or 800 which fits in the post
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 03:44:00 pm »
There's still half of August, and all of Sept and Oct for him to "give speeches for him".

We're ALL waiting for Trump to speak on details once he's the Nominee.

That should get all the "poorly educated" to the polls.    :whistle:

Details?  How about sticking to a policy from speech to speech? 

No one wants to speak for him because his views change on a daily basis.  That won't change  if he gets the nomination.

If delegates had been apportioned according to vote totals in the primaries so far (no WTA states), Trump would have 37% of the vote, 37% of the delegates and nowhere close to enough to win at the Convention.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:54 pm »
All of my edits on this thread was to fix the size of the photos....if you don't know how to do it click on your post that I edited and you will see....

img width=700.....that will be in the [] brackets and you can use any number to reduce...I used 700 or 800 which fits in the post

Thanks, myst.  I've been wondering how to do that.  I've decided not to post some photos because I forgot how to shrink wrap them.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 03:56:34 pm »
I hope Trump has a GOOD night tonight!

GO TRUMP!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 04:18:42 pm »

Thanks!

geronl

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 05:53:10 pm »
If anyone has not yet noticed

LIBERAL Republicans like Trump

because he's a liberal too

A-Lert

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »

Like Jrff Sessions and Clint Eastwood?  :laughingdog:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:54 pm »

He appeals to their Progressive nature, I guess.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »
He appeals to their Progressive nature, I guess.....

I'll settle for his American nature..especially when held up next to Hillary's or Bernie's.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 07:44:48 pm »
I'll settle for his American nature..especially when held up next to Hillary's or Bernie's.

Progressivism is NOT American, DC.  That's why I voted against Trump.  His values oppose American values.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 07:53:36 pm »
Progressivism is NOT American, DC.  That's why I voted against Trump.  His values oppose American values.

Truth is, that weaning the American worker off government subsidies takes time.

A fire and brimstone Conservative ideologue would ensure a one-term Administration with full-blown support for the Left.

Trump gets ONE chance to pull this off and I think he's the only one that can.

The real intrigue is going to be watching how the Republican House and Senate work with him and vice versa.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 08:05:49 pm »
Truth is, that weaning the American worker off government subsidies takes time.

A fire and brimstone Conservative ideologue would ensure a one-term Administration with full-blown support for the Left.

Trump gets ONE chance to pull this off and I think he's the only one that can.

The real intrigue is going to be watching how the Republican House and Senate work with him and vice versa.

There won't be a Republican Senate if Trump is the nominee.  So you can forget about any of Trump's economic plans coming to fruition.

I just don't see where Trump is going to succeed in imposing massive tariffs on China and Mexico, our two largest trading partners.  Most of Trump's supporters are regular shoppers at Wal-Mart, and all that imported stuff sold at the country's largest retailer will go up 45%, wrecking the budgets of those lower-middle-class people.   Wanna throw the country into recession?

Trump just emotes when he talks about economic issues.  He hasn't thought any of this through and will be discouraged by most policymakers from taking some of these extreme steps.