Author Topic: Slate Writer: ‘It Might Take Centuries,’ But the Catholic Church Will Accept Same-Sex Marriage  (Read 566 times)

rangerrebew

Slate Writer: ‘It Might Take Centuries,’ But the Catholic Church Will Accept Same-Sex Marriage
By Tom Johnson | April 15, 2016 | 9:29 PM EDT

Media coverage of Pope Francis’s Amoris Laetitia typically noted that it reaffirmed the Catholic Church’s opposition to gay marriage. Slate’s William Saletan acknowledges the literal truth of that reporting, but suggested in an April 8 article that the document contains seeds that will sprout into Vatican acceptance of same-sex unions, though he admits that process “might take centuries.”

Saletan argued that in time, the Church will extend Amoris Laetitia’s treatment of infertile heterosexual couples to same-sex couples: “This double standard, between homosexuality and other forms of infertility, is the cracked pillar at the foundation of the church’s policy against same-sex unions. It’s how Catholic teaching on homosexuality will eventually collapse.”

From Saletan’s piece (bolding added):

“Amoris Laetitia”…says no same-sex union can be a marriage. That’s because, as the document explains, “No union that is temporary or closed to the transmission of life can ensure the future of society.” But if you’re straight and infertile, the rule about transmitting life doesn’t apply. Your marriage is just as valid as anyone else’s, according to the document…

This double standard, between homosexuality and other forms of infertility, is the cracked pillar at the foundation of the church’s policy against same-sex unions. It’s how Catholic teaching on homosexuality will eventually collapse…

The term “fruitfulness,” which the church wields as a fertility requirement against same-sex couples, miraculously becomes metaphoric in the case of infertile opposite-sex couples...

…And what if you’re raising kids together? “Amoris Laetitia” says that’s a great way for infertile straight couples to fulfill the purpose of marriage…

Same-sex couples…can sustain lifetime commitments, build virtuous communities, and give children loving homes. They can also provide what the church celebrates in straight marriages: erotic love.

“Amoris Laetitia” isn’t shy in its praise of carnal fulfillment…It exalts sexual expression as “an interpersonal language wherein the other is taken seriously, in his or her sacred and inviolable dignity”…

If you don’t think people can express that kind of love in a same-sex relationship, you’re underestimating God and the human heart. Gay love is real. That’s why opponents of same-sex marriage are retreating to an argument they see as purely biological: that penile-vaginal intercourse, while sometimes sterile in practice, is always procreative in principle…

Once the church’s…analysis of infertile straight couples is applied to gay couples…its only remaining argument against same-sex households is their putative inferiority at raising kids. That’s an empirical claim, and it’s disintegrating…

In the United States, gay marriage has gone from absurdity to law in about 20 years. It won’t be nearly that fast in Catholicism. It might take centuries. But when it happens, the church will quote passages from “Amoris Laetitia” and similar documents.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tom-johnson/2016/04/15/slate-writer-it-might-take-centuries-catholic-church-will-accept

geronl

The whole notion of same sex marriage probably won't outlast this century

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The whole notion of same sex marriage probably won't outlast this century

If the Catholic Church accepts "same sex marriage" it will no longer be the Catholic Church.

Therefore, it will never happen.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

If the Catholic Church accepts "same sex marriage" it will no longer be the Catholic Church.

Therefore, it will never happen.

Then people should get ready to kiss it goodbye.  Frances seems to be the precursor of all things evil.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Then people should get ready to kiss it goodbye.  Frances seems to be the precursor of all things evil.

I may be branded a heretic for saying so, but the Church has survived Popes whose policies were open to question before.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

What a stupid thing for this writer to say.

Offline sinkspur

Francis is a precursor to the Church never going back to being an insular, navel-gazing, doctrine-above-all institution.  Either the Church and its members minister to the poor and those whom Jesus favored, or it's worthless.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
geronl wrote above:
"The whole notion of same sex marriage probably won't outlast this century..."

At the rate we're goin', Christianity (at least -in- The West) may not outlast this century.

Because The West itself won't.

rangerrebew

Because The West itself won't.

About 15 years ago I used to tell my students America wouldn't last another 100 years.  About 10 years ago I tempered my optimism and said 50 years.  Five years after that I tempered it further to 25.  Now at 68, I'm not so sure I won't see it in my lifetime.

Offline mountaineer

Certain protestant denominations already have gone that far - and they're the ones "kissing goodbye" most of their membership,  e.g. PCUSA.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org