Author Topic: If Trump Doesn't Understand 156 Year Old Rules How Will He Understand the Presidency?  (Read 927 times)

Offline libertybele

Clearly he doesn't get it.  Trump is clueless. He is NOT fit nor ready to be our POTUS.

If Trump Doesn't Understand 156 Year Old Rules How Will He Understand the Presidency??

Donald Trump is again complaining about the delegate rules of the Republican Party — delegate rules that have existed in various forms for 156 years. In fact, the present delegate rules have not really changed in decades, requiring that the nominee of the party get a majority of the delegates of the party to be the party’s nominee.

Donald Trump entered the race knowing he would need 1,237 delegates. But the man who claims he surrounds himself with experts and top men to advise him on things surrounded himself with advisors who told him not to worry about the delegates. Now Trump is having to bring in new people to play the delegate game, which is an acknowledgement that the rule for a majority will not be waived.

But along the way, both Trump and his supporters have taken to whining incessantly about the majority requirement. Publicly they think it should be changed to a plurality, though neither the delegate rules nor the Electoral College rules will be changed from majority to plurality.

Just because Donald Trump has the most delegates does not mean he has a majority of delegates. The rules matter.

That Trump has, for this long, surrounded himself with people who clearly failed to accurately advise him on the delegate rules is troubling. We know that Trump’s foreign affairs advisors are not really top men and, frankly, some are staggeringly unqualified. Likewise, we know Trump has barely met with them.

But these are the people he’d take advice from on foreign policy. Trump, though, says he has a very smart brain and he consults with himself. On "Meet the Press" Sunday, his campaign surrogate said it was Trump himself running the campaign — a campaign that ignored 156 years of needing delegates.

If Donald Trump cracks over a 156 year tradition of requiring a majority of delegates for the Republican nomination how is he going to understand the demands of the presidency? If Trump claims he surrounds himself with top men and those top men advised him so poorly on the delegate issue, how can we be reassured he won’t make the same mistakes in a presidential administration?

Thankfully that is unlikely to happen.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/04/11/if-trump-doesnt-understand-156-year-old-rules-how-will-understand-presidency.html?intcmp=hpbt3
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:06:01 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

Thankfully that is unlikely to happen.

Truer words were never spoken.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

But along the way, both Trump and his supporters have taken to whining incessantly about the majority requirement. Publicly they think it should be changed to a plurality, though neither the delegate rules nor the Electoral College rules will be changed from majority to plurality.

Where are all of these people incessantly whining about a plurality?  I'm on a few boards and watch FoxNews and CNN, and I can't say I've seen anyone make this argument?
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline ArneFufkin

Where are all of these people incessantly whining about a plurality?  I'm on a few boards and watch FoxNews and CNN, and I can't say I've seen anyone make this argument?

Roger Stone probably.  He's made thinly veiled threats about what will happen if Trump doesn't pass the 1237 threshold going into Cleveland and somehow he is denied the nomination.   Including giving out the hotel room numbers of suspect delegates.

Many Trump supporters on GatewayPundit, Yahoo and other sites have championed that response.  Idiocy abounds on the anonymous CyberGoogleNet but Stone should have been IMMEDIATELY disavowed and fired -  I understand that reality show Donald is good at that - on the spot with that threat.

"Give us what we want ... or else ..."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Oh this is an Erick Erickson article.

No wonder it's full of false claims.

Nevermind I won't waste anymore time on a paid GOPe shill like Erickson.

Erickson formerly of Red State launched Resurgent to provide a new mode of attack against any political insurgent who doesn’t fit the Washington DC approved definitions of “conservatism”.   A principle highlighted within his own establishment bona-fides as Erickson proclaimed: “Governor Jeb Bush is the most conservative governor I know“.
Where people get lost is in accurately attributing the financial motivations behind such ridiculous proclamations.  These endorsements, opinions and espousals carry a rather indulgent financial benefit.
Resurgent is an operational affiliate of “SRG” – the “Stone Ridge Group” – You can click the links to discover some of the faces behind the mysterious political media enterprise(s).
If you scroll to the bottom of the Resurgent Website Page – you can see the SRG signifier.  When you do a little research you discover “Resurgent” is nothing more than a paid mouthpiece of the entire DC enterprise:
[…
]  “For more than a decade, the Stoneridge Group has been the definitive resource for GOP candidates seeking innovative strategies, unique designs and an uncommon commitment to victory.”
(link)
You can clearly identify that Erick Erickson is not presenting media in the way you would normally define it – Resurgent is a paid political operation, with strategic goals and objectives.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:38:20 am by AnybodyButaDemocrat »
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline ArneFufkin

Oh this is an Erick Erickson article.

No wonder it's full of false claims.

Nevermind I won't waste anymore time on a paid GOPe shill like Erickson.

Right, because you can't challenge his analysis.   

That's your best plan going forward:  Just read Cabana Boy Jim Hoft's tripe at Gateway Pundit.