Author Topic: Let's try this again: Old-time radio, 12 April  (Read 1068 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

A-Lert

Re: Let's try this again: Old-time radio, 12 April
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:14:47 am »
I remember listening to Fibber and Molly on the big console radio. The only light in the room emanating from the big, lighted dial. Eating popcorn and drinking kool aid. No soft drinks at our house. Thanks for the memories.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:25:45 am »
I remember listening to Fibber and Molly on the big console radio. The only light in the room emanating from the big, lighted dial. Eating popcorn and drinking kool aid. No soft drinks at our house. Thanks for the memories.

I was born in 1955, well after Fibber & Molly shifted to a five-day-a-week, fifteen-minute-per-show semi-serial format. The idea
was to make the workload easier for Marian Jordan, whose health was always a concern ever since her having to dry out in an
alcoholic sanitarium in 1938-39---the Jordans could tape five shows for each week in two days [they really could have
done Fibber & Molly in their sleep] and have the rest of the week for her to rest. They compressed the show even further
when they became part of NBC's legendary Monitor weekend program block later in the 1950s; they did five-minute
segments for Monitor and were, apparently, prepared to sign a new contract with NBC to stay with Monitor when
Marian Jordan finally lost a battle with cancer in 1961.

Anyway, I have a vague memory of hearing Fibber McGee & Molly in that fifteen-minute format and on the Monitor
segments as a little boy. I didn't become an avid old time radio listener until I was in my late 30s, when I found a couple of
old-time radio cassette tapes in my favourite uncle's car. But you know? I'm glad it happened that way. Because I don't have
to listen to old-time radio as nostalgia, I can listen to it as its own art. I was really too young for the meat of the network
radio era (approximately 1928-62) and I was a television kid, anyway, but discovering so much surviving old-time radio
since my late 30s has been a revelation and a joy. (I have a collection of over 15,000 old-time radio shows . . . and counting!)

One that never ends, unless it's time to pick up my guitar and work on my music . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:31:58 am »
One of the great things about the Internet is that so much of the old stuff is accessible and so easy to find (not to mention that with the radio shows and some of the TV, they never bothered to keep up with copyright, so it's literally free).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:29:38 pm »
One of the great things about the Internet is that so much of the old stuff is accessible and so easy to find (not to mention that with the radio shows and some of the TV, they never bothered to keep up with copyright, so it's literally free).

With old-time network radio the copyrights lapsed into the public domain after a certain amount of time.
There have been a very few exceptions (including quite a volume of episodes of The Shadow).

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »
Ace,  Drove back from Atlanta yeasterday and found an Old time Radio station on SiriusXM.  I listened to Bold Venture: Slade Shannon and Sailor Duvall.  The plots were predicable but the chemistry between the two was almost as if they were married!  ;)

Also caught some cop drama's taken from real crimes.  Forgot the name.

Wingnut

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:29:48 pm »
Ace,  Drove back from Atlanta yeasterday and found an Old time Radio station on SiriusXM.  I listened to Bold Venture: Slade Shannon and Sailor Duvall.  The plots were predicable but the chemistry between the two was almost as if they were married!  ;)

Also caught some cop drama's taken from real crimes.  Forgot the name.

Bold Venture was a kind of throwaway Humphrey Bogart agreed to do because his wife Lauren Bacall wanted
to give it a try. They liked the idea of working a couple of days a week to do the episodes for the big money they
were offered. The show was better than it should have been (I have the complete set) but I did note a lot of
media critics called it almost another typical Bogie-and-Baby exercise but a little more on the fun side.

The crime drama you caught might have been 21st Precinct, which was based on actual New York crimes.
The series star, in a classic case of what goes around comes around: James Gregory, who eventually played
the sotted inspector on television's Barney Miller. (Gregory actually replaced Everett Sloane in the lead
role of Capt. Kennelly; Sloane was previously familiar as Ace's boss in the mr. ace and JANE remake of
the classic Easy Aces . . .)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:32:33 pm by EasyAce »