Author Topic: Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley: I Won't Bend to Pressure on Supreme Court Pick  (Read 697 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judiciary-committee-chairman-i-won-t-bend-pressure-scotus-pick-n552621

The Republican chairman of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary on Thursday said he and others won't bow to pressure to hold hearings on President Barack Obama's pick for the Supreme Court.

"When I make a decision on sound principle, I am not about to flip-flop because the left has organized what they call a pressure campaign," Sen. Chuck Grassley said on the Senate floor.

"The so-called pressure being applied to me now is nothing, it's absolutely nothing compared to what I have withstood from heavy handed White House political operations in the past," Grassley, a Republican from Iowa, said.

Grassley, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and other GOP leaders say they won't hold hearings on Merrick Garland, Obama's pick to succeed the late Justice Antonin Scalia. They say the next president should make the nomination.

Democrats, including Obama, say the Senate has a Constitutional obligation to consider his choice. Obama has repeatedly decried what he called a system choked by partisanship.

"The process is so broken, so partisan that an eminently qualified jurist can't even get a hearing," Obama said in an address at the University of Chicago Thursday. "Our democracy can't afford that," Obama said.

The Judiciary Committee holds hearings on nominees, and then sends the nomination to the Senate for a vote. Grassley said he and others opposed to hearings will not budge.

"Our side knows and our side believes that what we are doing is right," Grassley said. "And when that's the case, it's not hard to withstand the outrage or the pressure that they've manufactured."

---------

Old Iowa farm boys don't give a crap what a bunch of leftists think.

Honey Chuckster don't care.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:31:09 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

We'll see if the GOPers will finally grow a spine.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Grassley isn't a GOPer, but I guess the view gets a little skewed all the way out there in Siberia.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

Grassley isn't a GOPer, but I guess the view gets a little skewed all the way out there in Siberia.

Charles Ernest "Chuck" Grassley (b. September 17, 1933, in New Hartford, IA) is a Republican

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Charles Ernest "Chuck" Grassley (b. September 17, 1933, in New Hartford, IA) is a Republican

So is Trump, supposedly.

Or is there something you want to share with the class?
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

So is Trump, supposedly.

Or is there something you want to share with the class?

One is a politician and one is a successful businessman. One is 83, the other 70. One has had 35  years in the senate to make America great , the other, a presidential candidate,  is actually going to do it.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
One is a politician and one is a successful businessman. One is 83, the other 70. One has had 35  years in the senate to make America great , the other, a presidential candidate,  is actually going to do it.

Aw, more cutsie, smirky, clever little word arrangements.

Grassley is a successful farmer, still farms, and happens to be a 'politician' by virtue of re-election. So if being elected makes you a politician, then Trump will be a politician the second if he gets elected, which makes your little epithet meaningless.

And if you're saying that America wasn't great 35 years ago (when Reagan was President) and 50 years ago if you want to count Grassley's time in the Iowa legislature, then you obviously don't think America was ever great.

Or you're just selling slogans. Kinda like a politician.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Hate to say this and take the contrarian view: GOP might want to schedule the hearing during the lame duck session. With Rump on the wings, or Rump/Ted supporters threatening to bolt if their guy isn't the nominee, this guy might be better than what we'll get during a Hillary/Bernie presidency.

I know nobody wants to consider that but there it is. Strategerizing isn't GOP-e, it's called not being the stupid party, as usual.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:26:49 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »