Author Topic: GOP Senators: Trump Can't Win Nomination on First Ballot  (Read 526 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Senators: Trump Can't Win Nomination on First Ballot
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:09:14 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=722766

Newsmax
GOP Senators: Trump Can't Win Nomination on First Ballot
Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:05 AM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Several Republican Senators are saying that Donald Trump's loss in Wisconsin this week means he won't likely get the 1,237 delegates he needs to clinch the GOP presidential nomination this summer, and indicating there is hope for those who fear losses for the party in November should he become the nominee.

"It become difficult, more difficult" for Trump to win in the first ballot, Republican Montana Sen. Steve Daines commented to The Hill, and Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake said that he believes the convention will be contested, and "that's good for the Republican Party."

Flake and Danes both endorsed Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who dropped out of the race in March, and another former Rubio endorser, Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., said he does not believe Trump will be the nominee.

The three have not endorsed anyone else, but there are many in Washington who say they're considering Trump's main rival, Ted Cruz, a more-appealing choice than the New York real estate mogul and reality TV star.

South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham has called for Trump, who he says is "a disaster," to lose and thinks Cruz is the best option to keep Trump from becoming the party's nominee.

Other senators, though, aren't speaking publicly about Trump but admit they are uneasy about him winning.

"He's suffered a setback in Wisconsin," one lawmaker told The Hill anonymously, adding that he and others are concerned about Trump as "nobody knows who he listens to." But even with the Wisconsin loss, it's premature to count Trump out, he said.

Others said they fear a Trump win, as they do not think he can unify the party.

"That's an oxymoron, Donald Trump and unifying the Republican Party," another senator who requested anonymity told The Hill.

"Donald Trump is not the Republican Party I've known for half a century."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: GOP Senators: Trump Can't Win Nomination on First Ballot
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:18:49 pm »
Nominating Rump is suicide for the GOP.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:35 pm »
Nominating RTrump is suicide for the GOP.

You've got it exactly backwards.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:52:28 pm »
Trump has won 20 State primaries. Fourteen of them were open primaries.

Those 20 victories have netted him 743 delegates with 52.8% of those delegates coming from States where Democrats are allowed to vote in Republican primaries.

Trump isn't a Republican. i
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:44 am »
Trump has won 20 State primaries. Fourteen of them were open primaries.

Those 20 victories have netted him 743 delegates with 52.8% of those delegates coming from States where Democrats are allowed to vote in Republican primaries.

Trump isn't a Republican. i

The concern of course is that with the DEMS voting for Trump in open primary states it has become apparent that he won't be able to beat Hillary in the general.  However, Trump only needs 56% of the remaining 882 delegates. Cruz needs 81% of the remaining 882 delegates.  The RNC and the GOPe has a decision to make; swallow their pride and grit their teeth and stand behind Cruz or hand the White House to Hillary.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 01:57:02 am »
"GOP Senators: Trump Can't Win Nomination on First Ballot"

Their tune will change a bit after April 19th.
It will become unrecognizable after April 26th.

A-Lert

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:21:57 am »
Cruz  won Wisconsin, an open primary state, by winning the liberal southeast corner. The more conservative parts of the state were mostly won by Trump.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 03:50:01 am »

:thumbsup3:    Thank God!!