Author Topic: Hastert asks court to spare him prison; cites shame, health  (Read 692 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hastert asks court to spare him prison; cites shame, health
« on: April 07, 2016, 12:28:51 am »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DENNIS_HASTERT?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-04-06-19-26-33

Apr 6, 7:26 PM EDT

Hastert asks court to spare him prison; cites shame, health

By MICHAEL TARM
Associated Press

CHICAGO (AP) -- Dennis Hastert's lawyers asked a federal judge Wednesday to spare the former U.S. House Speaker time behind bars in his hush-money case and sentence him to probation, saying the 74-year-old has already paid a steep price in shame and disgrace.

A filing in federal court in Chicago - where the Illinois Republican is scheduled for sentencing on April 27 - says Hastert "apologizes for his misconduct that occurred decades ago" and is "overwhelmed by the guilt." Notably, it contains no detail about that misconduct. Attorneys and the judge spoke recently about someone possibly testifying at sentencing who says Hastert sexually abused him years ago.

"Mr. Hastert's fall from grace has been swift and devastating," the filing says. "He knows that, for the rest of his life, wherever he goes, the public warmth and affection that he previously received will be replaced by hostility and isolation."

It highlights the removal of his portrait from the U.S. Capitol and the elimination of his name from public landmarks, saying: "Mr. Hastert has been stung by the public repudiations of him that followed his indictment."

The document also cites a list of ailments, some of which stem from his hospitalization days after he pleaded guilty on Oct. 28 to violating bank structuring laws as he sought to pay $3.5 million to ensure an "Individual A" stayed quiet about past misconduct by Hastert against Individual A. The misconduct dated back decades to around the time Hastert was a high school wrestling coach.

Hastert's legal team says he nearly died from a severe blood infection that spread to his spine in November. The filing seems to seek sympathy at several points, including by suggesting Hastert's health issues were brought on by legal ones.

"He will stand before the court having deteriorated both physically and emotionally, undoubtedly in part due to public shaming and humiliation of an unprecedented degree," it says.

Hastert's plea agreement says he managed to pay $1.7 million to Individual A - at $100,000 cash payments at a time - and it calls for a sentence of no more than six months in prison. Prosecutors are expected to push for at least some prison time when they file their own sentencing memorandum. The statuary maximum for the one count Hastert pleaded guilty to is five years in prison.

The latest Hastert filing steps around the issue of what underlying acts the money was designed to cover up.

"He regrets that he resorted to structuring the withdrawal of his money from banks in an effort to prevent the disclosure of that misconduct," the memo says.

It also refers to Hastert's political career, which ended when he retired from Congress in 2007 after eight years as speaker. "Mr. Hastert," it says, "is more than his past mistakes."

The Associated Press and other media outlets, citing anonymous sources, previously reported that Hastert wanted to hide claims he sexually molested someone, but the issue hadn't been raised in unsealed filings or in court until a hearing last month. At that hearing, an assistant U.S. attorney told the judge prosecutors only recently learned an "Individual D" is an alleged victim and was leaning toward testifying at sentencing. A sister of another alleged victim told prosecutors she wants to testify, attorneys said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

Re: Hastert asks court to spare him prison; cites shame, health
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:43 am »
How the mighty do fall, when a touch of hubris is involved.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:36 am »
Ah. The old "I'm a kiddie raper but I feel really really bad about it and because you caught me I had to go to the hospital and am on my deathbed" defense. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this one trotted out.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:40 am »
Well, at least he knows how to apologize and seems sincerely sorry.  He has been paying for a longtime for this.  He knows he deserves everything he got.  This is a case where I think he should be spared jail time.  Besides, the charge itself is stupid -- that money thingy.  It is the underlying issue that is appalling, but he has paid and paid and the statute of limitation is past.  The victim has been compensated, which is the road he chose.

I don't disagree.  I really don't see the point of putting most old people in jail unless the crime was heinous and they're still a danger. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:42:45 am »
How the mighty do fall, when a touch of hubris is involved.

I believe he touched more than the "hubris" from what I've read.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:09 am »
This is tragic on so many levels.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:51:49 am »
Ah. The old "I'm a kiddie raper but I feel really really bad about it and because you caught me I had to go to the hospital and am on my deathbed" defense. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this one trotted out.

You are likely to see it once again very soon if Hillary gets indicted!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:01 am »
Put the SOB in prison where he BELONGS, take away his govt pension and benefits...
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:13 am »
I met Hastert casually multiple times. Unbelievable hometown hero.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:58:39 am »
You are likely to see it once again very soon if Hillary gets indicted!

Nah. That's a different defense. That's gonna be the ol' "I'm old and I left my reading glasses in the car so I couldn't tell the email thingamajiggies were classified and anything I did do illegal was because Huma made me do it....she is an evil ISIS member". 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 01:00:25 am »
I met Hastert casually multiple times.....

I hope you were of age.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:05:05 am »
Nah. That's a different defense. That's gonna be the ol' "I'm old and I left my reading glasses in the car so I couldn't tell the email thingamajiggies were classified and anything I did do illegal was because Huma made me do it....she is an evil ISIS member".

Betcha!  She will have a very serius health issue arise preventing her from continuing.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 01:09:24 am »
Betcha!  She will have a very serius health issue arise preventing her from continuing.

My personal bet is that Huma is the firewall. It can all stop at her feet and give Hitlary plausible deniability.

Guess we will see who is right in the very near future.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 01:13:54 am »
My personal bet is that Huma is the firewall. It can all stop at her feet and give Hitlary plausible deniability.

Guess we will see who is right in the very near future.

I also seriously doubt that the current banana republic "justice" department will allow anything to get to th level of any Clintoon!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 03:04:51 pm »
I also seriously doubt that the current banana republic "justice" department will allow anything to get to th level of any Clintoon!
I think you are right, we have not had law in this country since Obama took office.

LOOK for a major incident to take place if Hilda loses the race for the WH.  Be it Trump or Cruz expect MAJOR riots across the US...
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...