Author Topic: Trump Blows Off Call With Pro-Life Leaders  (Read 1767 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump Blows Off Call With Pro-Life Leaders
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:23:04 pm »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/06/trump-blows-off-meeting-with-pro-life-leaders.html

BETSY WOODRUFF
04.06.16 3:15 PM ET

Trump Blows Off Call With Pro-Life Leaders

The formerly pro-choice Republican, already in deep trouble after talking about “punishment” for women, just ticked off a lot of conservative activists.

Donald Trump just blew off pro-life leaders exactly one week after he angered the movement by calling for “punishment” for abortion.
Trump was reportedly expected to address Priests for Life and the 115 Forum conference during a conference call on Wednesday. But he bailed.

Leslie Palma, a spokesperson for Priests for Life, told The Daily Beast that Trump did not dial-in.

A conservative operative with knowledge of the call told The Daily Beast that pro-life leaders involved were disappointed Trump decided not to speak with them.

Fr. Frank Pavone, who heads Priests for Life, chose not to directly criticize Trump.

“What I can say is that Priests for Life carries out efforts to provide all campaigns an opportunity to connect with the pro-life leadership in America and to receive solid advice on how to deal with abortion,” he said. “As for Donald Trump, I far prefer the kind of mistake he made recently, and then corrected, regarding who should be punished, than the ongoing deliberate mistake of Clinton and Sanders who cannot seem to find an abortion they don’t like.”

Trump’s campaign didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Last night, Ted Cruz handily defeated the mogul in the Wisconsin primary—thanks in part to support from conservative Christians, a very pro-life constituency.

Ted Cruz ally and prominent anti-abortion activist Troy Newman pounced on Trump’s blowoff.

“To me, that’s just typical Donald Trump,” said Newman, president of Operation Rescue and a board member of the Center for Medical Progress, whose director was indicted over videos it distributed about Planned Parenthood. “We just don’t know exactly what he believes or who he is.”

Newman wasn’t on the conference call but works closely with many anti-abortion groups, including Priests for Life. The group brings together anti-abortion Catholic priests and also works with lay people, deacons, and seminarians around the world who oppose abortion. Catholics are an integral part of the pro-life movement, so you’d think Trump would benefit from having a conversation with the group, but it didn’t happen.

Trump’s disconnect with pro-life leaders became painfully obvious after he told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews last week that he believed there should be “punishment” for women who get abortions. (Trump has since backtracked.) Virtually all mainstream anti-abortion groups reject this rhetoric, instead holding that women who get abortions are victims of the procedure.

They quickly repudiated Trump.

“We have never advocated, in any context, for the punishment of women who undergo abortion,” said Marjorie Dannenfelser, who heads SBA List, in a statement. “As a convert to the pro-life movement, Mr. Trump sees the reality of the horror of abortion—the destruction of an innocent human life—which is legal in our country up until the moment of birth. But let us be clear: punishment is solely for the abortionist who profits off of the destruction of one life and the grave wounding of another.”

And rival Ted Cruz’s team immediately pounced on Trump’s call for women to be punished.

“Don’t overthink it: Trump doesn’t understand the pro-life position because he’s not pro-life,” tweeted Cruz spokesman Brian Phillips shortly after Trump made the comment.

Concerned Women for America issued a statement joining the chorus.

“Mr. Trump is out of touch with the pro-life movement and its goals to help those who have been deceived by the culture and this industry,” said Penny Nance, who heads the organization. “As suffragist Alice Paul said, ‘Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women,’ and we agree. No one is advocating for the imprisonment of women seeking abortions.”

Pro-life leaders have long criticized Trump for what they see as an inconsistent record on their issue. Susan B. Anthony List, a group that boosts pro-life women candidates, held a press conference with pro-life women leaders at Bob Jones University in the lead-up to the South Carolina primary urging pro-lifers to oppose Trump.

And Trump’s past support for federal funding for Planned Parenthood has long concerned pro-life advocates. And Trump’s defense of late-term abortion in a 1999 Meet the Press interview has haunted his campaign.

“I am very pro-choice,” he said at the time—almost as if he was actually trying to write an attack ad against himself.

The scheduled call gave Trump an opportunity to start building trust with Catholic pro-lifers, but he blew it and left them disappointed. It would have been an easy way to simultaneously court two powerful constituencies, Catholic conservatives and pro-life leaders. Instead, he’s managed to alienate them — again.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Blows Off Call With Pro-Life Leaders
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:29:43 pm »
Trump's not even pretending to be pro-life.  His campaign appears to be unraveling.

A-Lert

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:14 pm »
Trump's not even pretending to be pro-life.  His campaign appears to be unraveling.

8888crybaby

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:46:40 pm »
This article is not even truthful, conveniently leaving out that he said he thought there should be punishment if abortion were ILLEGAL - in other words, if a woman broke the law - she should have some kind of punishment. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:58:56 pm »
This article is not even truthful, conveniently leaving out that he said he thought there should be punishment if abortion were ILLEGAL - in other words, if a woman broke the law - she should have some kind of punishment.

But, see, pro-lifers don't believe that alice.  No pro-lifer advocates punishing a woman for having an abortion even if it is llegal.  And pro-lifers never have.

So Trump's completely at odds with the pro-life movement.  But, he said he doesn't believe the law should be changed, so he's now pro-choice.

That's why he stiffed these pro-life leaders.

A-Lert

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:01:21 pm »

Facts mean little to anti-Trumps. They are poor losers and even worse winners.

A-Lert

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 09:03:02 pm »
Emoji spam.

You are pathetic.

Your whining is pathetic. Grow up.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:09:26 pm »

He didn't say that.  It was the spin after the STUPID comment.   And, it's interesting that he said "many in the Party" to insulate himself from his stupidity.

I understand that Trump zombies never acknowledge the reality of their hero's serial gaffes and mis-statements but for every other lurker around here -  this was the convo:

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/trump-s-hazy-stance-on-abortion-punishment-655457859717

Trump is the epitome of a lifelong liberal who has no real conviction for Conservative ideology and is mumbling something he THINKS a Conservative would espouse.  Punishing a woman has NEVER been a platform for any Pro-Life organization I've encountered over the decades..  Same with the Aryan/KKK issue.  He thinks conservatives support the KKK so he won't clearly disown their evil ideology.  What sort of idiot supports this clown?

Yeah, I just said it:  His followers are either IDIOTS and/or VANDALS looking only to destroy the GOP.  Trump is a dolt in this video -  Cruz would have OWNED the opportunity.

You're FIRED Trump.  Go away to Kardashian land.  That's where you belong.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:07 pm »
Your whining is pathetic. Grow up.

Keep on spamming the site Skippy.

60 insipid posts a day since you arrived here a month ago. 

Typical Trump twit.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:15:20 pm by ArneFufkin »

A-Lert

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:57 pm »

58 posts a day since you arrived here a month ago. 

Typical Trump twit.

Grow up. Your childish whining is pathetic.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:41 pm »
But, see, pro-lifers don't believe that alice.  No pro-lifer advocates punishing a woman for having an abortion even if it is llegal.  And pro-lifers never have.

So Trump's completely at odds with the pro-life movement.  But, he said he doesn't believe the law should be changed, so he's now pro-choice.

I"M a pro-lifer and you don't speak for me Sink. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:39 pm »

Sensitive much?  I didn't say I spoke for you.  I corrected your boy on the misimpression he left about what pro-lifers believe.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 10:59:58 pm »

What exactly is the pro-life movement?  Is it a movement to overturn Roe v Wade?  Is it a movement to make all abortion illegal?

What is the mission?

Serious question.  Thanks.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:07:34 pm »
What exactly is the pro-life movement?  Is it a movement to overturn Roe v Wade?  Is it a movement to make all abortion illegal?

What is the mission?

Serious question.  Thanks.

It is not a cohesive movement. Never has been and never will be.

For me it is all about  overturning Roe because the decision in that case rests on things nowhere to be found in our Constitution.

For others it is all about using the power of the federal government to stop abortion period.

I say return the issue to the states where it has always properly belonged.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 11:10:00 pm »
Sensitive much?  I didn't say I spoke for you.  I corrected your boy on the misimpression he left about what pro-lifers believe.

When you say what YOU think pro-lifers believe - you are presuming to speak for ME.  I am pro-life - you do not speak for what I believe.  You said:

No pro-lifer advocates punishing a woman for having an abortion even if it is llegal.  And pro-lifers never have.

That is simply NOT TRUE.  I have stated my belief that abortion is the taking of an innocent life, that it is murder.  If abortion is ever against the law - both the woman and the doctor that performs it should be punished.  When you say, "No pro-lifer..." - you are wrong and I am living proof that you are - and I am NOT a rare exception. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:31 pm »

You're right about that not even pretending stuff.  I guess he may have had an epiphany and realized that you can't fake what you don't believe now, nor have ever believed.

He revealed his total ignorance of anything related to the pro-life movement and maybe he thought better of doing it again.

He's good at fooling people who are uninformed, but actual pro-lifers can spot his scam a mile away.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 11:17:41 pm »

Typical Trump twit.

The king of meaningless spam strikes again!

(If you put him on IGNORE it's really amusing to see how much he really does spam.  He's remarkably persistent, albeit nonsensical).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 11:22:11 pm »

Typical Trump twit.
Hey 60 is nothing. Cipher was up to 94 by 6:38 pm est yesterday, and sinkspur did at least 105 one day not long ago.

There are no posting limits, and quantity is encouraged as evidenced by the two examples cited.

BTW why are you harassing this member?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 11:25:07 pm »

I'm a pro-Sinker and you don't speak for me Alice.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:59 pm »
It is not a cohesive movement. Never has been and never will be.

For me it is all about  overturning Roe because the decision in that case rests on things nowhere to be found in our Constitution.

For others it is all about using the power of the federal government to stop abortion period.

I say return the issue to the states where it has always properly belonged.

That's actually a reasoned and thought out response. On the other hand Trumps position is all over the place and irrational. Personally I am not surprised he bailed on this conference. It would only dig him in deeper than he already is on the issue.

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 11:29:56 pm »
I'm a pro-Sinker and you don't speak for me Alice.

I like sinks, too.  Porcelain, steel, glass, or stone... they all hold dishes very well.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:19 pm »
I like sinks, too.  Porcelain, steel, glass, or stone... they all hold dishes very well.

Careful there. Lightening the mood on a thread these days could get you a zot.

Remember: Be angry and breed hate!

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 11:52:52 pm »
Emoji spam.

You are pathetic.

no EMOJIES from Me I get real specific!! and MEAN SPIRITED. oh WA!!

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

A-Lert

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 12:09:46 am »
Hey 60 is nothing. Cipher was up to 94 by 6:38 pm est yesterday, and sinkspur did at least 105 one day not long ago.

There are no posting limits, and quantity is encouraged as evidenced by the two examples cited.

BTW why are you harassing this member?

Dare to oppose the status quo, dare to be different, dare to stand up to the forum bullies and sniping, then harassment follows. Happens on nearly every forum. I consider the source....the poor losers and even worse winners.