Author Topic: Random thought I had.  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Random thought I had.
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:38:51 am »
Our bodies are made entirely of atoms, and atoms are over 99.9% empty space. That means we are actually over 99.9% empty space. Rapidly moving protons, neutrons and electrons create the illusion that we are solid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:55:57 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

Re: Random thought I had.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:25:00 am »
Depends on what you mean by empty space.  The "space" within an atom is certainly much more full of energy than is the space between the stars.  Also, given the quantum nature of subatomic particles, they cannot be adequately described as discrete point sources and so may in fact "fill" that "space" in a quantum manner in the sense that nothing else could be put into that "space" without breaking apart the atom.   

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:05:11 pm »
Yes, but since that time I was assisting a benevolent professor in college with a radiation experiment that went terribly, terribly wrong... my interstitial atomic space is filled with something else.  I will be the next tragic Marvel comic book hero.  Watch for it!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Bill Cipher

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:38:15 pm »
Yes, but since that time I was assisting a benevolent professor in college with a radiation experiment that went terribly, terribly wrong... my interstitial atomic space is filled with something else.  I will be the next tragic Marvel comic book hero.  Watch for it!

Honey I shrunk the Kids. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »
Depends on what you mean by empty space.  The "space" within an atom is certainly much more full of energy than is the space between the stars.  Also, given the quantum nature of subatomic particles, they cannot be adequately described as discrete point sources and so may in fact "fill" that "space" in a quantum manner in the sense that nothing else could be put into that "space" without breaking apart the atom.

Great response, Bill.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »
Our bodies are made entirely of atoms, and atoms are over 99.9% empty space. That means we are actually over 99.9% empty space. Rapidly moving protons, neutrons and electrons create the illusion that we are solid.

Read up on quantum mechanics. It'll melt your brain.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:58:43 pm »
Read up on quantum mechanics. It'll melt your brain.

If you think you understand quantum physics, you definitely do not understand quantum physics. 

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 06:26:38 pm »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates