Author Topic: Karl Rove: If Trump wins Wisconsin, 'the contest is over'  (Read 378 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Karl Rove: If Trump wins Wisconsin, 'the contest is over'
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:45:09 pm »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/karl-rove-donald-trump-wisconsin-221563

Karl Rove: If Trump wins Wisconsin, 'the contest is over'

By Nolan D. McCaskill

04/05/16 09:08 AM EDT

The race for the Republican nomination is effectively over if Donald Trump wins Wisconsin, Karl Rove said Tuesday.

“If he wins Wisconsin, the contest is over,” the former George W. Bush White House aide and Fox News contributor said. “If not, it’s gonna go on and the math becomes somewhat more difficult.”

Trump leads the GOP field but is still 500 delegates shy of clinching the nomination. Ted Cruz trails Trump by more than 260 delegates but holds a 5-point advantage heading into Wisconsin’s primary, according to a RealClearPolitics average of state polls. Rove, however, suggested Wisconsin’s open primary process favors the New York billionaire.

“Trump has done slightly better in states where there is an open primary, where Democrats and independents can come in and vote, and has done slightly worse in states that have a closed primary, where only registered Republicans can vote,” he said.

Cruz has the support of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and influential conservative radio host Charlie Sykes, but that hasn’t stopped Trump from campaigning across the state. In fact, he’s likened Wisconsin to South Carolina, a state where the governor endorsed Marco Rubio but Trump prevailed.

“He’s spent a lot of time there,” Rove said of the front-runner in Wisconsin. “If he wins, it’s over. If he loses, it’s gonna be a tougher contest.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Karl Rove: If Trump wins Wisconsin, 'the contest is over'
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:48:47 pm »
I don't think Trump will win Wisconsin. I think it will be a contested convention, and if it gets to a second ballot, I don't think there's any way Trump wins the nomination.

That would open the door for Trump to go 3rd party and be the stalking horse for Hillary.
(I still wonder if that wasn't his intent all along).

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:12:44 pm »

That would open the door for Trump to go 3rd party and be the stalking horse for Hillary.
(I still wonder if that wasn't his intent all along).

I agree. There is something very off with many aspects to his campaign. If he does goe 3rd party though, he will be like Anderson in '80 and siphon from Hitlary not Cruz.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »
Trump can't go 3rd party...  almost all states have "sore loser" laws that prevent a Primary candidate from running third party. Trump is one or done at this point.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:01:33 pm »
Trump can't go 3rd party...  almost all states have "sore loser" laws that prevent a Primary candidate from running third party. Trump is one or done at this point.

I didn't know that. I hope it's true. At this point, I'm anybody but Hillary.