Author Topic: Johnny Depp Scheduled to Speak at Atheist Rally in Washington, D.C.  (Read 1008 times)

rangerrebew

Johnny Depp Scheduled to Speak at Atheist Rally in Washington, D.C.

The Religion News Service is reporting [1]that actor Johnny Depp is scheduled to speak at the Reason Rally, a gathering [2]of atheists and secularists scheduled take place June 4 in Washington, D.C.

The Reason Rally website describes the event this way:

Reason Rally 2016 is a celebration of fact-driven public policy, the value of critical thinking, and the voting power of secular Americans. The Rally will be held June 4, 2016, at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC, along with a number of ancillary events at nearby hotels. Such events include two days of lobbying (we’re scheduling visits with all 535 congressional offices!), a pre-party and after parties, a Sunday mini-conference, and several VIP events.

In a 2011 interview [3] with Larry King, Depp, star of "Pirates of the Caribbean" and the forthcoming "Alice Through the Looking Glass," was asked about religion and said the following:

I have faith in my kids. Yeah, I have faith in my kids. And I have, I have faith, you know, as long as you keep moving forward, just keep walking forward things will be alright, I suppose, you know. Faith in terms of religion, I don't, religion is not my specialty.

The Washington Post noted [4]that other speakers include television personality Bill Nye, scientists Lawrence Krauss and Carolyn Porco, comedians Margaret Cho and Julia Sweeney and musicians Killah Priest and Mark White of the Spin Doctors.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/blog/mark-judge/johnny-depp-scheduled-speak-atheist-rally-washington-dc

Offline mountaineer

Re: Johnny Depp Scheduled to Speak at Atheist Rally in Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:49:18 am »
A lineup of real heavy hitters to say, essentially, "There is no God ... and I hate Him."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:35:51 pm »
It amazes me how people who don't seem to believe in anything can gather together at a rally to hype their cause.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:36:09 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:46:52 pm »
If someone in that crowd were to sneeze, and the person next to them said "bless you", would that be considered a hate crime?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »
It amazes me how people who don't seem to believe in anything can gather together at a rally to hype their cause.
Oh, they have a cause—to gather around and congratulate themselves for being so much smarter and more moral than those stupid Christians!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:27:19 pm »
If someone in that crowd were to sneeze, and the person next to them said "bless you", would that be considered a hate crime?

Only of the person next to the "bless you" person were non-white.  Then it would be a sure bet.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:36 pm »

If you want to frustrate an atheist... point out that they have less intellectual freedom than Christians...

A Christian can assign an observation to either a natural or a supernatural cause based on their assessment of the facts... an atheist has no such choice and MUST assign all observations to a 'natural' cause...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »
If you want to frustrate an atheist... point out that they have less intellectual freedom than Christians...

A Christian can assign an observation to either a natural or a supernatural cause based on their assessment of the facts... an atheist has no such choice and MUST assign all observations to a 'natural' cause...

I agree (I know, pigs flying).  Additionally an atheist is attempting to prove a negative, pretty hard to do.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:00 pm »
The Washington Post noted [4]that other speakers include television personality Bill Nye, scientists Lawrence Krauss and Carolyn Porco, comedians Margaret Cho and Julia Sweeney and musicians Killah Priest and Mark White of the Spin Doctors.

Looks like a who's who of d list celebrities from 1992.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 10:25:45 pm »
Additionally an atheist is attempting to prove a negative, pretty hard to do.

Actually, they will argue that it is impossible to prove a negative... which is true... but they likewise have an obligation to prove a positive and cannot escape with the 'impossible to prove a negative' argument.

Their unproven positive is the belief in naturalism... which is likewise impossible to prove...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:05 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 10:47:58 pm »
A lineup of real heavy hitters to say, essentially, "There is no God ... and I hate Him."
That is a good one.

I go by "there Is a God, and it is Not Me."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln