Author Topic: Cruz snaring Trump's Arizona delegates  (Read 619 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Cruz snaring Trump's Arizona delegates
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:00:26 am »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cruz-snaring-trumps-arizona-delegates/article/2587556

Sen. Ted Cruz is out-hustling Donald Trump and looks set to ensure many Arizona delegates will defect to him in a convention floor fight.

The Texas senator, who ever since Iowa has played a stealthy ground game in contrast to Trump's chaotic populism, is taking steps to snatch the Republican presidential nomination from The Donald at the convention in July.

The New York businessman easily won last month's Arizona primary taking 47 percent to Cruz's 25 percent, scooping up all 58 of the state's delegates. That's nearly 5 percent of the 1,237 Trump needs for the nomination, and they're tied are to him on the first ballot.

But Cruz, exploiting deep opposition to Trump among grassroots Republicans, has been far more active in Arizona than Trump, insiders say. He's recruiting candidates for the available 55 delegate slots, that along with the other three delegate positions filled by party leaders, would be allowed to vote for him in a multi-ballot contested convention.

"Cruz, out of all the campaigns, has the most folks on the ground and has been the most organized," Michael Noble, a Republican consultant in Arizona who is neutral, told the Washington Examiner on Friday.

"Trump has no real organization in Arizona," added GOP strategist Sean Noble (no relation) in an email exchange. "Cruz will get most/all Arizona delegates on second ballot."

The Cruz campaign has been exceptionally skilled at grassroots organizing, a talent that lends itself to winning delegate elections in precincts, counties and states across the country. That was on display in North Dakota over the weekend, where Cruz topped Trump to win 18 out of 25 available slots in elections held at the state GOP convention in Fargo.

In a telephone interview, Cruz's top Arizona organizer, Constantin Querard, was cautiously optimistic about the progress his team was making in fielding delegate candidates that would be loyal to Cruz. That team includes Republican legislator David Livingston, the majority whip in the state House of Representatives.

Livingston said team Cruz is engaged in a furious round of phone calls, texts, emails and meetings as it attempts to place loyal delegates. The Phoenix-area Republican indicated that he would be thrilled with Cruz candidates winning 55 percent of the available delegate slots, but said the final results might be closer to splitting the delegation 50-50 with Trump. Flipping 29 of delegates out of 58, Livingston suggested, would be a major victory for Cruz.

"We have a better ground game than [Trump does] in Arizona," he said. "They have some good people too, but we have some really, really good people and I'm hoping that when we get to the state convention that gives us a real competitive advantage."

Querard said the Cruz campaign's Arizona strategy includes expanding the senator's reach beyond loyalists.

Cruz aims to recruit delegate candidates that support Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who has since suspended his presidential campaign — basically anyone who opposes Trump. That might include Trump supporters who are having second thoughts after observing recent missteps and reviewing the latest polls that show him getting shellacked by Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

"We're looking for either Cruz supporters or those who recognize that, to win in November, we need Sen. Cruz," said Querard, who is based near Phoenix. "The effort is there, the organization is there, the support team is there. We're not quite to halftime yet; call me back after next Saturday."

The state GOP chairman, and the Republican National Committee man and woman lead the Arizona convention delegation. The remaining 55 delegates will be elected by grassroots Republicans from around the state in a series of local elections scheduled to occur over the next several days. Activists will formalize the slate in an election to be held on April 30 at the state GOP convention in Mesa.

Trump led Cruz in the overall delegate hunt 736 to 463 ahead of Tuesday's Wisconsin primary. Cruz is favored to win there, and could cut Trump's lead by 42 delegates. In doing so, Cruz would make it more likely that July's nominating convention would be contested, as it would become harder for Trump to win a decisive majority of delegates before the primary season concludes in early June.

Kasich trails with 143 delegates, but might yet be a factor in Cleveland.

In Arizona, Trump has the support of state Treasurer Jeff DeWit and Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, among other well known Republicans. Trump's delegate operation is being led on the ground by Thayer Verschoor, an ex-legislator and former executive director of the state party.

Reached by phone on Friday, Verschoor referred inquiries to another Trump campaign leader in Arizona, Charles Munoz, who did not return an email requesting comment.

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Cruz snaring Trump's Arizona delegates
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:40:56 am »
Good
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:41:07 pm »
Trump led Cruz in the overall delegate hunt 736 to 463 ahead of Tuesday's Wisconsin primary. Cruz is favored to win there, and could cut Trump's lead by 42 delegates. In doing so, Cruz would make it more likely that July's nominating convention would be contested, as it would become harder for Trump to win a decisive majority of delegates before the primary season concludes in early June.

It is conceivable that Cruz could pick up net 30 delegates today (36-6) as I think it's likely that Trump would pick up three delegates each from Wisconsin's 3rd and 7th Congressional Districts (western Wisconsin).

Hopefully it's 42 but I think it'll be closer than some of the polls are indicating.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:28:17 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
Cruz has a lot of 'boots on the ground' and I think he will win WI and all the delegates; if he does that's going to give him a lot of momentum going forward as it is an open primary state where usually Trump has won.  It will be interesting to see how Trump reacts; probably with relentless smears and attack ads.  Meanwhile Kasich just may keep some delegates away from Trump in the upcoming primaries in NY and PA.  My bet is still on Cruz being our nominee.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:17:11 pm »
Cruz has a lot of 'boots on the ground' and I think he will win WI and all the delegates; if he does that's going to give him a lot of momentum going forward as it is an open primary state where usually Trump has won.  It will be interesting to see how Trump reacts; probably with relentless smears and attack ads.  Meanwhile Kasich just may keep some delegates away from Trump in the upcoming primaries in NY and PA.  My bet is still on Cruz being our nominee.

The more time that passes, the more I agree that Cruz will be our nominee.

I won't be totally surprised if Trump makes a last minute decision to withdraw if Cruz' momentum continues forward.

I think it's plausible that he really has no interest in being President (which is why he's clueless and vague in interviews), but was in it for two reasons: to get personal publicity which his insecurity craves, and to help good friend Hillary get into the WH.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:47:59 pm »
Very good. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:13 pm »
The more time that passes, the more I agree that Cruz will be our nominee.

I won't be totally surprised if Trump makes a last minute decision to withdraw if Cruz' momentum continues forward.

I think it's plausible that he really has no interest in being President (which is why he's clueless and vague in interviews), but was in it for two reasons: to get personal publicity which his insecurity craves, and to help good friend Hillary get into the WH.

Well mainly to help his friend Hillary...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:39 pm »

Well mainly to help his friend Hillary...

Absolutely.  Nothing has happened to make me think that he's doing anything other than help her win the WH.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.