Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39681 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2016, 02:13:35 pm »
Angels pitcher undergoes emergency brain surgery after his skull was fractured from being hit in the head by a 105mph line drive 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3776056/Angels-pitcher-undergoes-emergency-brain-surgery-skull-fractured-hit-head-105mph-line-drive.html#ixzz4JU88blTk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Small skull fracture, pretty hairy nonetheless.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »
Yep, starting in Arlington against the Rangers., but it is down to 1 game back today.

Keuchel out for two starts......Not looking good.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »
The 19 Saddest Tweets After the Mets' Crushing Loss to the Braves

This was particularly brutal, even for Mets fans.

The Braves completed its sweep of the Mets with a 4-3 win at Citi Field on Wednesday, a win the Braves quite literally snatched away from the Mets at the final moment.

With the game 4-3 with two men on and two outs, Yoenis Cespedes thought he hit a walk-off home run only for outfielder Ender Inciarte to end the game with a spectacular catch over the fence. The Mets are now nine games back of the Nats in the NL East.

Naturally, Mets fans didn’t take it very well…

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/new-york-mets-loss-swept-braves-highlights-videos-standings-sad-tweets-fan-reaction
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #278 on: September 23, 2016, 05:45:08 am »
That was last night: Ender Inciarte steals a would-be game-winning,game-ending three-run homer from Yoenis Cespedes of the Mets.

This is tonight: The Mets win in extra innings---on a game-winning, game-ending three-run homer by Asdrubal Cabrera. (Keeps
them tied with the Giants and half a game ahead of the Cardinals in the NL wild card.)

Is baseball a great game, or what?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »
Astros still barely hanging in, 1-1/2 games out.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2016, 09:53:00 pm »
Is baseball a great game, or what?

I couldn't agree with you more. 

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sinkspur

Re: Baseball 2016---Season On! Vin Scully's Last Game Broadcast today on MLBN!
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »
The voice of the Dodgers, the man whose dulcet tones are familiar to every baseball fan everywhere, will hang up the microphone today after 67 years in the announcer's booth.

Game will be on MLBN at 2 PM CST.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Leto

« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2016, 02:29:39 am »
Skully a guy from the Bronx started Broadcasting Dodger games in 1950 with the great Red Barber, bet Skully never figured he would become more well known that Red Barber.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline Leto

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2016, 02:30:35 am »
Feeling very good about the Red Sox now have a chance for home field through the playoffs with this 11 game winning streak.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2016, 12:32:57 pm »
Astros had a bad weekend. 3 games out, with 6 to go.
"Wait until next year" time.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2016, 01:20:00 pm »
Astros had a bad weekend. 3 games out, with 6 to go.
"Wait until next year" time.

Yep,  our team had too many holes to make a serious run.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:57 pm »
Feeling very good about the Red Sox now have a chance for home field through the playoffs with this 11 game winning streak.

After yesterday's plate performance, Dustin Pedroia should be invited to perform on Dancing With the Stars.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:39:57 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2016, 02:43:04 am »
Giants at Mets, tied in 8th, 0-0; I really don't like the single game playoff format but I guess it's fair.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:43:25 am by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2016, 02:48:41 am »
Giants at Mets, tied in 8th, 0-0; I really don't like the single game playoff format but I guess it's fair.

I don't like the wild cards, but you had to love Addison Reed pitching like he was pitching his way
up from the Grand Canyon with that bases-loaded third-out punchout!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2016, 02:48:46 am »

Wild cards are just an excuse to have some team to feed to the Top Seed. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2016, 02:57:52 am »
Wild cards are just an excuse to have some team to feed to the Top Seed.
Last time the Giants were a Wild Card, they won the World Series.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2016, 03:13:45 am »
Well, Giants are going to Chicago.  This unimpressive team should be dispatched quickly by the Cubs.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2016, 03:15:06 am »
Well, Giants are going to Chicago.  This unimpressive team should be dispatched quickly by the Cubs.
I'm not going to bet against the Giants in an even-numbered year.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2016, 03:50:30 am »
I'm still going to root for the Cubs now.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »
I'm still going to root for the Cubs now.

You do realize that if the Cubs win the World Series, this would bring about cataclysmic events that could change life as we know it (Hell freezing over, etc...)?

Seriously, I am with you and will root for the Cubs.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
You do realize that if the Cubs win the World Series, this would bring about cataclysmic events that could change life as we know it (Hell freezing over, etc...)?

Codicils: I am a Met fan since the day they were born and a Red Sox fan since the 1967 pennant race. (Want to know
my class-A drug bill from 1986?)

I saw the 1969 Mets. And, even more significant, the 2004 Red Sox.

And guess what happened the day after each brought off their impossibles?

The sun still rose. The autumn leaves still gave off their sweet, succulent fragrances upon falling and burning. Men and women
went to work unscathed, children went to school unscathed (if you didn't count the propagandising of education, that is), the
skies still hovered as the reassuring ceilings they normally are, the flora and the fauna carried on as though nothing could
disrupt their bucolic plays.

The only cataclysms known to man were the orgasms in two cities after each. The only freezings over on record were those
that accompany the usual places and faces when winter came at last.

I will grant you that if the Cubs should go all the way this year, well . . . if you thought Red Sox Nation went intercontinental
ballistic with joy, Cub Country is going to be in for a whole lotta you-ain't-see-nothing-yet. It won't be enough to turn
the world upside down or Hades into a cold snap, but it'll be louder than a concert by the Who in their prime.

So let's root for the Cubs. We're not putting anyone in mortal danger. ;)
[/quote]

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2016, 04:30:33 pm »
I'm not going to bet against the Giants in an even-numbered year.

You might care to know that in the history of their franchise, prior to their current even-number-
year streak, the Giants won four World Series in odd-numbered years, lost five Series
in even-numbered years, and won three Series in even-numbered years.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:31:20 pm by EasyAce »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #297 on: October 06, 2016, 04:32:09 pm »
You might care to know that in the history of their franchise, prior to their current even-number-
year streak, the Giants won four World Series in odd-numbered years, lost five World Series
in even-numbered years, and won four Series in even-numbered years.
They also had a better record than the Cubs at mid-season, and then struggled.  But I think they enter this series with a lot of confidence, and putting all of their problems of the last few months behind them.    They have the post-season experience that the Cubbies don't......and they've got Bumgarner.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #298 on: October 06, 2016, 04:34:05 pm »

"Human sacrifice....dogs and cats living together....Mass Hysteria!"

Offline skeeter

« Reply #299 on: October 06, 2016, 04:37:14 pm »
They also had a better record than the Cubs at mid-season, and then struggled.  But I think they enter this series with a lot of confidence, and putting all of their problems of the last few months behind them.    They have the post-season experience that the Cubbies don't......and they've got Bumgarner.
The Giants were awesomely good until the Allstar break, then became awesomely bad.

But since baseball is about peaking at the right time, having gone 5 of 6 recently they might just have another shot.

My problem with the Giants over the past few years has been their lack of ability to hit in a clutch. When they do it always seem to come from the most unlikely batters.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:39:40 pm by skeeter »