Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39688 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »
Early word also has it that Fielder will not forgo the $128M the Rangers owe him the next 5 years.

Sorry Rangers fans :laugh:

This is the actual breakdown of how Fielder will be paid through the end of the 2020 season (from
now until then it's only 4.3 years, folks), assuming he stays on the DL and it rolls over to the end of
the deal:

* The Rangers pick up $9 million a year.

* The Tigers pick up $6 million a year.

* $9 million a year is covered by insurance the Rangers took on Fielder.

* The Rangers, basically, pick up 37.5 percent of Fielder's annual $24 million, and likewise
regarding the insurance policy; the Tigers pick up the remaining 25 percent.

If Fielder outright retires, he leaves the rest of his money on the table. All $96 million of it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2016, 12:04:59 pm »
This is the actual breakdown of how Fielder will be paid through the end of the 2020 season (from
now until then it's only 4.3 years, folks), assuming he stays on the DL and it rolls over to the end of
the deal:

* The Rangers pick up $9 million a year.

* The Tigers pick up $6 million a year.

* $9 million a year is covered by insurance the Rangers took on Fielder.

* The Rangers, basically, pick up 37.5 percent of Fielder's annual $24 million, and likewise
regarding the insurance policy; the Tigers pick up the remaining 25 percent.

If Fielder outright retires, he leaves the rest of his money on the table. All $96 million of it.

Looks like its official now.  Still....  glad it's not my team
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2016, 12:19:21 pm »
Saturday in St. Louis during a game between the Braves and Cards, a friend of mine was struck in the face by a line-drive foul ball. He has lost his eye and has many shattered bones. Horrific accident.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2016, 12:25:32 pm »
Saturday in St. Louis during a game between the Braves and Cards, a friend of mine was struck in the face by a line-drive foul ball. He has lost his eye and has many shattered bones. Horrific accident.

That's awful!

With the wide use of cell phones, they're going to have to put up screens along the sidelines.  People aren't paying attention to what's going on.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2016, 12:37:29 pm »
That's awful!

With the wide use of cell phones, they're going to have to put up screens along the sidelines.  People aren't paying attention to what's going on.

I agree. 

In this case, he said the bat shattered and he just lost track or mis-tracked the ball.
John Steinbeck

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »
Lando Lincoln; sorry for your friend.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2016, 12:39:18 pm »

Oh, no!  I'm so sorry to hear that. 

I take my #5 son to a couple of Braves games each year, and I'm always hyper-vigilant about foul balls, precisely because I know he is not ... but I also worry about whether I would be able to prevent an injury even if I could see it coming.  They really are going to have to extend the net at some point. 

I hope your friend has a speedy (as possible) recovery.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2016, 12:56:29 pm »
Oh, no!  I'm so sorry to hear that. 

I take my #5 son to a couple of Braves games each year...

#5 son!  What a blessing.

Thank you (to all) for the well wishes towards my friend. He was planning to visit me today but he is back home in Atlanta.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2016, 01:10:37 pm »
Looks like its official now.  Still....  glad it's not my team

7 games up in the West with Mazzara, Beltre, Beltran, Desmond, and Odor in the lineup?

I'm glad the Rangers ARE my team. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2016, 01:33:02 pm »
7 games up in the West with Mazzara, Beltre, Beltran, Desmond, and Odor in the lineup?

You got me there.   Wait till next year.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2016, 02:17:33 pm »

I absolutely hated Ian Desmond in his 'final' contract year with the Nationals.

His defense cost at least 3 direct losses that year.  And his bat was nothing special.

Now...from a distance, I'm glad that he's playing with a contender.  Always thought his looks and stats could find him a spokesman for Hugo Boss or Armani, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »
You got me there.   Wait till next year.

They were winning today (the Astros) when I saw to score about a half hour ago

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2016, 09:10:41 pm »
They were winning today (the Astros) when I saw to score about a half hour ago

15-7 your final, Astros win. Jose Altuve---four hits, three steaks, three runs scored. Nineteen hits
for the Astros. Fifth win in their last sixteen games. Game one of a weather-necessitated doubleheader.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2016, 09:16:29 pm »
I absolutely hated Ian Desmond in his 'final' contract year with the Nationals.

His defense cost at least 3 direct losses that year.  And his bat was nothing special.

Now...from a distance, I'm glad that he's playing with a contender.  Always thought his looks and stats could find him a spokesman for Hugo Boss or Armani, etc..

I felt exactly the same way about Beltran when he came to SF in 2011, supposedly with the offense the Giants sorely needed at the time. Turned out to be no big deal at all. He just phoned it in.

Hope he's picked his game up.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2016, 09:18:07 pm »
15-7 your final, Astros win. Jose Altuve---four hits, three steaks, three runs scored. Nineteen hits
for the Astros. Fifth win in their last sixteen games. Game one of a weather-necessitated doubleheader.

They are just 4 games above .500 now.
I had hoped they would right the ship, but they have been a little banged up lately.
There may still be hope.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:18:29 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2016, 12:31:22 pm »

There may still be hope.

Sadly our 5-9 place hitters are all Mendozans.   They scare no one.  Now we are rooting for Altuve to win the MVP.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »
Michael Fulmer first rookie to ten wins this season in his first complete game and first shutout of the Rangers.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #242 on: August 14, 2016, 10:31:02 pm »
Michael Fulmer first rookie to ten wins this season in his first complete game and first shutout of the Rangers.
Back-to-back shutouts.....Whatever happened to this big offensive explosion the Rangers were supposed to get with their recent acquisitions.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2016, 10:44:43 pm »
Back-to-back shutouts.....Whatever happened to this big offensive explosion the Rangers were supposed to get with their recent acquisitions.

The Tigers real problem is that they're streaky. They went from an 8 game winning streak directly to a 5 game losing streak. They've also got several players out due to injuries.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2016, 11:03:56 pm »

Don't worry.  Neither the Astros or M's have a ghost of a chance this season. 

Bannister is now just trying to tweak the lineup and chemistry for your playoff run.   

OTOH, I'd be a little disappointed what they gave up to make this run

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32:05 pm »
COWABONGA!!!!!

Astros at Orioles...1st inning.

Leadoff hitter Springer hits HR.....Houston 1...Orioles 0

Wade Miley, O's pitcher, then strikes out the side.

O's bottom half of 1st.

Adam Jones hits HR on 1st pitch

Kim singles to center

Manny Machado HRs to Center Field

Chris Davis HRs to Right Field

Mark Trumbo HRs to Center Field

ORIOLES 5 - HOUSTON 1.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2016, 11:56:24 pm »

COWABONGA II

Wade Miley pitching for Baltimore   HOU   BAL
Gattis singled to center.                    1   5
González struck out swinging.            1   5
Reed struck out swinging.                    1   5
White doubled to deep center, Gattis scored.   2   5
Hernández singled to left center, White scored.   3   5
Springer hit by pitch, Hernández to second.           3   5
Bregman doubled to center, Hernández scored, Springer to third.   4   5
Altuve doubled to deep right, Springer and Bregman scored.   6   5
Jiménez relieved Miley.   6   5
Correa grounded out to shortstop.   6   5

5 Runs, 5 Hits, 0 Errors

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #247 on: August 20, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
My Stros aren't going to playoffs this year, but we just might have the MVP.......

Through 121 games

Year          Age   Tm   Lg   G   PA      AB       R        H      2B      3B     HR   RBI   SB   CS   BB   SO   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
2016 ★   26   HOU   AL   121   546   480   88   175   35   4   20   80   26   7   50   54   .365   .427   .579   1.006

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #248 on: August 20, 2016, 07:01:31 pm »
My Stros aren't going to playoffs this year, but we just might have the MVP.......

Through 121 games

Year          Age   Tm   Lg   G   PA      AB       R        H      2B      3B     HR   RBI   SB   CS   BB   SO   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
2016 ★   26   HOU   AL   121   546   480   88   175   35   4   20   80   26   7   50   54   .365   .427   .579   1.006

He's having a helluva year, @catfish1957

Did you know that NEVER before in professional baseball has a team hit FOUR HRs before recording an out?

Shame the O's lost that game.....a real indictment of their bullpen, IMO.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #249 on: August 20, 2016, 07:45:26 pm »
He's having a helluva year, @catfish1957

Did you know that NEVER before in professional baseball has a team hit FOUR HRs before recording an out?

Shame the O's lost that game.....a real indictment of their bullpen, IMO.

The O's are bashers. I'm betting Trumbo hits 50 alone.   Looked it up and like I thought they lead MLB with 188 HR's.  Did you know (like it really matters though), that they have only 5 triples all year, or about 1 every 25 games.  That's weird. 

Good luck to your O's.  Like everyone else, I get sick of the Red Sox and Yankees show.