Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39690 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2016, 02:12:43 am »
I think the cost of equipment and liabilities are a major part of the reason American kids don't play baseball these days. We all played baseball when we were kids in the 70s. Basically all a player brought to a team was a glove and we got a cap and a t-shirt.

My little town of Hanover Michigan had two public diamonds, one lighted plus the lighted diamond at the high school. Something like 6 diamonds in the township.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2016, 02:16:28 am »

I shot this one sitting next to the close-end of the dugout down by the railing.  I know it was in Baltimore, but can't recall if it's the old War Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street, or Oriole Park at Camden Yard.

Eddie Murray hitting with Bret Boone (Aaron Boone's dad) catching.

You know there's a runner on base because Boone's throwing hand is exposed and clenched.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2016, 02:33:34 am »
I don't plug for ESPN or Sports Illustrated but their cover on the Cubs this year, did get my attention and I liked the title, "the last great American sports story"; that's got a good catch to it and might be accurate. Of course, I don't keep up with it as I should but my friend said the Cubs got a coach who has won two World Series with other teams. So, maybe that has something to do with it.

I know when at least I was growing up, it be Ali or Mark Spitz or whatever, the big sports stories.

And I'm certainly not plugging for the Cubs, I just found it interesting. Back in the '80s with the advent of cable tv getting better, we got the Cubs, the Braves and Mets all on cable. Before that, I watched plenty of Dodgers games as well on the tube but I had had little exposure to these other teams and one of those years was the year, the Mets were so good.

Though, I wouldnt mind seeing the Cubs take it. Easier said. Lots of good teams out there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:35:06 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:20 am »

I shot this one sitting next to the close-end of the dugout down by the railing.  I know it was in Baltimore, but can't recall if it's the old War Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street, or Oriole Park at Camden Yard.

Eddie Murray hitting with Bret Boone (Aaron Boone's dad) catching.

You know there's a runner on base because Boone's throwing hand is exposed and clenched.

That's great, O's are sort of my 2nd team. They were big growing up; I just sort of like them, no specific reason why, I'm not from there.  I've got a few Orioles things around to wear.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:37:50 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2016, 02:41:16 am »
I don't watch much baseball but I did turn on this Cubs vs. Mariners game, Mariners up 6-2 though the Cubs could come back, 7th inning.

Friday the Cubs won 11-1. Some scores are really nuts, I like the Orioles but I know they've had some bad losses in the past few days.

I like most teams, I definitely like the Tigers, they were a big team when I was growing up.  If they are in the mix, I do cheer them.  Indians fine, most all teams are a-okay, I like to see underdogs do well.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2016, 02:57:51 am »
Tigers have had some spectacular comebacks this year. The big one was entering the 9th inning down 7-2 against Tampa Bay and finishing the game with a 10-7 win.

They just finished a sweep of the Astros after a 9th inning comeback win last night.

They're catching the Indians with a 6 game winning streak and are now 4.5 games out.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:41 am »
Wild pitch, Cubbies tie it up 6-6.... this is some game..... I'm surprised, I thought they were going to lose this here. Amazing really.  Extra innings.

There was a game the other night I understand where the winning run was walked in, it happens.

Also, in this Cubs Mariners game, the Chicago Pitcher came back in to pitch after leaving earlir. I don't think I'd ever seen that happen.

The announcers joked, "a little league game had broken out". I didn't even know a pitcher, upon leaving the game could come back to pitch again.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2016, 04:46:49 am »
Wild pitch, Cubbies tie it up 6-6.... this is some game..... I'm surprised, I thought they were going to lose this here. Amazing really.  Extra innings.

There was a game the other night I understand where the winning run was walked in, it happens.

Also, in this Cubs Mariners game, the Chicago Pitcher came back in to pitch after leaving earlir. I don't think I'd ever seen that happen.

The announcers joked, "a little league game had broken out". I didn't even know a pitcher, upon leaving the game could come back to pitch again.

He can if he's shifted to an outfield position and is still in the game.

I saw the Mets do that in a game in 1986---they decided to try an unheard-of double switch involving co-closers Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco.
They put Orosco in right field and McDowell on the mound, then switched them back and forth until the Mets finally won the game in extra innings.
There was (and still is) nothing in the rule enjoining against it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »
In that photo, that catcher is interesting and while I grew up,  the catcher position was difficult.  Squatting can be hell on the legs.
I remember a few years ago, I ended up playing catcher for a church softball game. Now, keep in mind, I walk regularly and my legs are in quite good shape—but I couldn't walk right for three days afterward, my legs were so sore.

I vowed never again.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2016, 05:01:05 pm »
I remember a few years ago, I ended up playing catcher for a church softball game. Now, keep in mind, I walk regularly and my legs are in quite good shape—but I couldn't walk right for three days afterward, my legs were so sore.

I vowed never again.
I played catcher my last year of little league. Even at the young age of 12, I was whipped when the game was over, flat worn out. The only neat thing was being involved in every pitch, but I was sure happy to go to 3rd base the next year, which was where I was before moving to catcher.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2016, 11:19:31 pm »
Series to watch...especially after the Lucroy/Beltran additions...the Texas Rangers vs the Baltimore Orioles.

Rookie Dylan Bundy starts for the O's.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2016, 12:42:53 pm »
Astros split at home with Toronto so far, but in the middle of a tough 2 week stretch.
Toronto for 7 games (with 2 played), Rangers, and Orioles.
They changed closers, from Harris to Giles.
Giles had been clocked at 101 mph.
We shall see.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2016, 12:53:26 pm »
Astros split at home with Toronto so far, but in the middle of a tough 2 week stretch.
Toronto for 7 games (with 2 played), Rangers, and Orioles.
They changed closers, from Harris to Giles.
Giles had been clocked at 101 mph.
We shall see.

Things can turn around quickly. The Tigers were down 7.5 games to Cleveland a week ago but a 7 game winning streak has brought them to within 3 games.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:43 pm »
A pitching battle to watch. The well know ace , Chris Sale against likely rookie of the year Michael Fulmer.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2016, 01:49:38 am »
That's 8 in a row for the Tigers.

Looks like the Indians are fixin to lose to the Twins tonight.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:34 am »
That's 8 in a row for the Tigers.

Looks like the Indians are fixin to lose to the Twins tonight.

...meanwhile, my Orioles and Nationals are still leading their respective divisions.     :beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2016, 09:16:44 pm »
Have y'all seen this thing today about "astro girl" last night?.
I watched most of the Toronto-Houston game last night, but missed that part of it.
It's all over the Houston area news today.
I did see several replays of Nolan Ryan vs, Robin Ventura fight yesterday.
Yesterday was the 23rd anniversary of that.
(Man that makes me feel older).

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2016, 03:46:42 am »
Dallas Kuechel goes 9 and shuts out the Rangers 5-0. ' bout damned time! WooHoo!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2016, 03:52:25 am »
Bring it on. Nothing better than being outside working on a fine spring day with the ball game on the radio.

That's how I remember it, and love it. Howard Cosell... I live in MT, and have for most of my life, and baseball on the radio is wholly absent... It is just a sweet bit of nostalgia for me.

Can't stand it on TV.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2016, 04:03:00 am »
That's how I remember it, and love it. Howard Cosell... I live in MT, and have for most of my life, and baseball on the radio is wholly absent... It is just a sweet bit of nostalgia for me.

Can't stand it on TV.

I grew up with baseball on the radio as well. I have satellite radio, and on long trips, I'll put on random games. I love the spots where someone wins some prize from a town to a store I've never heard of. Real America. Great stuff, and as they say "I saw it on the Radio. I am an Astros fan, but , was anyone ever better than Vin Scully?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2016, 11:55:16 am »
I grew up with baseball on the radio as well. I have satellite radio, and on long trips, I'll put on random games. I love the spots where someone wins some prize from a town to a store I've never heard of. Real America. Great stuff, and as they say "I saw it on the Radio. I am an Astros fan, but , was anyone ever better than Vin Scully?

When I was a youngster in Buffalo, NY, I vividly recall listening to Buffalo Bison (AAA International League) on the radio.

The only thing was...years went by when I read that it was mimicked based upon ticker tape being received into their studio/trailer.

The announcers 'created' the atmosphere and drama...knowing full well what transpired.

:laugh:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2016, 11:59:11 am »
When I was a youngster in Buffalo, NY, I vividly recall listening to Buffalo Bison (AAA International League) on the radio.

The only thing was...years went by when I read that it was mimicked based upon ticker tape being received into their studio/trailer.

The announcers 'created' the atmosphere and drama...knowing full well what transpired.

:laugh:

The voice of Ernie Harwell was as familiar is any in my own family. Harwell was the first ever broadcaster included in a trade.

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=uobC_swFT2E

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2016, 06:31:09 pm »
Dallas Kuechel goes 9 and shuts out the Rangers 5-0. ' bout damned time! WooHoo!

GT....huge Astros fan since 1965.  Glad to see another one here.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2016, 07:59:23 pm »
GT....huge Astros fan since 1965.  Glad to see another one here.
I went on a trip when I was 10 and saw Nolan Ryan pitch for the Angels. I was a huge fan of his. I was so glad he came home, and sad when he went to the Rangers.
When my son turned 10, I took him to the dome, got his name on the scoreboard, 1992.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2016, 01:28:10 pm »
I went on a trip when I was 10 and saw Nolan Ryan pitch for the Angels. I was a huge fan of his. I was so glad he came home, and sad when he went to the Rangers.
When my son turned 10, I took him to the dome, got his name on the scoreboard, 1992.

Ryan's my all time favorite too.  Actually got to see every home start '83 - '85.  One of my favorite snapshots was the one I took on the exact pitch he recorded his 4000th K.  Would always go to the game early, and watch him warmup.  Bullpen at the dome was along the foul lines, so you could watch pretty closely.  the sound of the ball hitting the mitt was incredible.  Throwing that fast, just warming up.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.