Author Topic: Byron York: Race shifts momentum to Cruz — is it just Wis. or is it more?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/byron-york-race-shifts-momentum-to-cruz-is-it-just-wis.-or-is-it-more/article/2587424

MILWAUKEE — The Wisconsin Republican primary is so critical to Donald Trump that, after having pledged "I'll be here all week" to his supporters, Trump promptly departed to Washington and other destinations for a couple of days off the trail prior to next Tuesday's vote.

The Wisconsin GOP contest is so critical to Sen. Ted Cruz that he took off to California for some fundraising and a guest spot on Jimmy Kimmel, in addition to a stop in North Dakota for its delegate convention, before returning to Wisconsin for a few more days of campaigning.

The Wisconsin primary is so critical to Gov. John Kasich that he headed to New York, where his highest-profile accomplishment was to be photographed eating pizza with a fork.

Wisconsin, home of Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and House Speaker Paul Ryan, has a prime spot on the GOP primary calendar. The April 5 election is the only event on that day, coming two weeks after the Arizona and Utah contests and two weeks before New York. So for the moment, all political eyes are on the Badger State.

In addition, the Wisconsin primary comes at a critical time for the beleaguered #NeverTrump movement. After failing to stop Trump in earlier races, the forces arrayed against Trump here in Wisconsin — that would be most of the Republican power structure, plus the state's formidable conservative talk radio hosts — see Wisconsin as the best hope to change the dynamic of the GOP race.

"I think this might be a pivot point in the election, because there is a gap right afterward," radio host and #NeverTrump star Charlie Sykes told me Thursday. "You have a time for the opposition to continue to re-gear. The anti-Trump political action committees are here in a very big way ... If Trump goes down in Wisconsin, those folks are going to be able to go back to their donors, their money people, and say look, this worked — all those people who said he was bulletproof were wrong."

Cruz has reason to feel confident here. After Arizona and Utah, when the campaign turned north, there were no good polls on where Wisconsin voters might be. But on Wednesday the respected Marquette Law School poll came out, showing Cruz with a 10-point lead over Trump, 40 percent to 30 percent. Later, a Fox Business poll had Cruz ahead by the same margin, 42 percent to 32 percent.

In addition, a poll by PPP, the Democratic firm, while finding a much tighter race — Cruz 38 percent to Trump 37 percent — suggested that there are "indications within the numbers that Cruz could win a wider victory."

Wisconsin will award 42 delegates — fewer than Arizona's 58 and a little more than Utah's 40. The delegates will be awarded winner-take-all in each of the state's eight congressional districts, with three delegates per district. The remaining 18 will be awarded, with a few complications, to the statewide winner.

If he prevails, Cruz could come away with a big delegate haul. Trump seems to be strong mostly in the 7th and 8th Districts, in Wisconsin's north. If those are the only two districts Trump wins, he would walk away with just six delegates, to Cruz's 36. Or perhaps Trump only wins the seventh, giving Cruz 39 delegates. Or maybe Kasich will take the 2nd District, which includes deep-blue Madison. Any of those scenarios would be a big victory for Cruz.

So what explains the candidates' movements out of Wisconsin? They are a reflection of a fundamental shift in the race in the last several days.

"The tectonic plates are moving beneath our feet," said one state GOP operative in a discussion Friday morning. "Over the course of the past week, there has been a shift of gravity where there is a sense that Cruz is going to win Wisconsin."

The operative pointed to a few key developments. First, there was not only Gov. Scott Walker's strong endorsement of Cruz, but also the endorsement of Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, who had earlier supported Marco Rubio. "Then there were rumblings in the center-right and the business community, saying 'We've got to go with Cruz,'" said the operative. "What you have seen is Walker and Speaker Vos and others sort of accepting Cruz."

That's a journey Sykes has made as well. While praising Cruz as "a principled conservative" and "a rock-solid constitutionalist," Sykes made clear that the senator from Texas wasn't anywhere near his first choice.

"I never endorsed anybody, but obviously I would have been very friendly to Walker as the favorite son," Sykes told me. "I anticipated after that that I was probably going to be supporting Rubio ... Rubio would be a natural fit; it would have been the most comfortable. I did not see myself ever supporting Cruz, quite frankly .... [But] as the field whittled down, it sort of dictated the choice."

Add to that the Marquette poll, which has been quite accurate in some Wisconsin races. (In the 2012 GOP primary, the final Marquette survey showed Mitt Romney winning by 8 points; he won by 7 points.) The Marquette results both confirmed what people were feeling about a shift in momentum to Cruz and likely contributed to an acceleration of that momentum.

Finally, Trump had a really bad week, suffering one self-inflicted wound after another. Put that all together, and the race became Cruz's to lose.

There's some question about whether that has really always been the case. While some observers saw Wisconsin as an opportunity for Trump — after all, he won next-door Michigan — others have suggested that Wisconsin, with a strong, educated, suburban Republican presence in the southeastern part of the state, lined up better for Cruz. "There's nothing about Cruz's strength and Trump weakness in Wisconsin that suggests a change in the race," the New York Times number cruncher Nate Cohn tweeted Thursday after the polls came out. "Wisconsin is Trump's second worst remaining state in our demographic model."

Now, all the candidates are returning to Wisconsin for the last days of campaigning. The picture seemed blurry when they left, but they are coming back to a race in which Cruz seems firmly in charge.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Won't know until April 19th.

Trump is crushing both Cruz and Kasich there.

A-Lert

After failing to stop Trump in earlier races, the forces arrayed against Trump here in Wisconsin — that would be most of the Republican power structure, plus the state's formidable conservative talk radio hosts — see Wisconsin as the best hope to change the dynamic of the GOP race.

Yet Trump is still within a single digit of Cruz. Could all the GOPer attacks backfire? We'll find out in a few days.

Offline sinkspur

After failing to stop Trump in earlier races, the forces arrayed against Trump here in Wisconsin — that would be most of the Republican power structure, plus the state's formidable conservative talk radio hosts — see Wisconsin as the best hope to change the dynamic of the GOP race.

Yet Trump is still within a single digit of Cruz. Could all the GOPer attacks backfire? We'll find out in a few days.

He's not. He's 10 points behind in the latest poll:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/01/fox-business-network-poll-cruz-leads-in-wisconsin.html
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

A-Lert

He's not. He's 10 points behind in the latest poll:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/01/fox-business-network-poll-cruz-leads-in-wisconsin.html

Your comrade Vulcun posted a poll today  showing the Cruz lead down to 7. Tell him he's a liar.

Offline sinkspur

Your comrade Vulcun posted a poll today  showing the Cruz lead down to 7. Tell him he's a liar.

Looked for that poll. Couldn't find anything more current than the FOX Business Network poll.

A-Lert

Looked for that poll. Couldn't find anything more current than the FOX Business Network poll.

Contact your comrade, Free Vulcan.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:10:51 am by A-Lert »

Offline sinkspur

No. 

A-Lert

No.

Don't be afraid, he's one of your ilk.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Trump claims to be a great closer, but in race after race he loses the late deciders.  It looks like he is limping into the finish line as the primary season comes to an end, and if he loses Wisconsin it pretty much means Trump can't get to 1237.

If Trump fails to win the nomination on the first ballot, he will not be the nominee. 

A-Lert

Trump claims to be a great closer, but in race after race he loses the late deciders.  It looks like he is limping into the finish line as the primary season comes to an end, and if he loses Wisconsin it pretty much means Trump can't get to 1237.

If Trump fails to win the nomination on the first ballot, he will not be the nominee.

Then you have nothing to be concerned about. GOPers have sure spent an inordinate amount of time, money and energy trying to destroy Trump's candidacy.

Then you have nothing to be concerned about. GOPers have sure spent an inordinate amount of time, money and energy trying to destroy Trump's candidacy.
Unlike Trump who has put almost no skin in this game.  Winning hasn't been worth his money so far.

A-Lert

Unlike Trump who has put almost no skin in this game.  Winning hasn't been worth his money so far.

What is your source?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

And a Fox news poll showing him up 10 as well.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Here are the latest 4 polls from RealClearPolitics:

FOX Business   3/28 - 3/30   742 LV   3.5   42   32   19   Cruz +10
Loras College   3/28 - 3/29   416 LV   4.8   38   31   18   Cruz +7
PPP (D)*           3/28 - 3/29   768 LV   3.5   38   37   17   Cruz +1
Marquette   3/24 - 3/28   471 LV   5.8   40   30   21   Cruz +10

The Loras college poll is the Cruz +7.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

What is your source?

A crack dealer on 38th.  What's it to you?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Contact your comrade, Free Vulcan.

Yeah see here's the problem: Sink and I and Luis G and I have been at odds on this forum on others issues. But I'm smart enough - and man enough -  to know when I'm on the wrong side of something. I had been giving Trump as much benefit of the doubt as I could, while they had called it months ago. I give credit where credit is due.

What happened in Wisconsin with Trump attacking Scott Walker's record as governor was the step too far, and there is no going back. Sorry if that bothers you, but Trump fouled his own nest on that one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:00:38 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

Yeah see here's the problem: Sink and I and Luis G and I have been at odds on this forum on others issues. But I'm smart enough - and man enough -  to know when I'm on the wrong side of something. I had been giving Trump as much benefit of the doubt as I could, while they had called it months ago. I give credit where credit is due.

What happened in Wisconsin with Trump attacking Scott Walker's record as governor was the step too far, and there is no going back. Sorry if that bothers you, but Trump fouled his own nest on that one.

Why should it bother me? I'm not vested. If Trump wins, fine, if someone else wins, so be it. That Hillary polls higher than Trump is indicative of just how ignorant the polled voters  remain.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:59:55 am by A-Lert »

Bill Cipher

Why should it bother me? I'm not vested. If Trump wins, fine, if someone else wins, so be it. That Hillary polls higher than Trump is indicative of just how ignorant the polled voters  remain.

:mauslaff:

You don't like the polls, so the pollsters must be wrong, or the people polled idiots; except when it comes to polls that show Trump in the lead, then those polls are golden.  The epitome of confirmation bias. 

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Tell me, A-Lert, what is the typical margin of error for your typical scientific political poll? Three points.

Again, you are trolling. Be lucky you have lasted this long on the board. I have a feeling you won't be around much longer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

A-Lert

Tell me, A-Lert, what is the typical margin of error for your typical scientific political poll? Three points.

Again, you are trolling. Be lucky you have lasted this long on the board. I have a feeling you won't be around much longer.

Three points? So then Cruz may only have a 4 point lead. Thanks!

Get over yourself. Just because I'm not intimidated by you and your comrades doesn't make me a troll. Evidently independent thinking doesn't agree with you.

What is your source?

The FEC.  Trump has given $18 million to his campaign but $17.5 is in loans...meaning it has to be paid back to Trump by the dumb smucks who actually donate to his campaign.  Trump has donated more to rats over the years than he has donated to his own campaign for President.

A-Lert

The FEC.  Trump has given $18 million to his campaign but $17.5 is in loans...meaning it has to be paid back to Trump by the dumb smucks who actually donate to his campaign.  Trump has donated more to rats over the years than he has donated to his own campaign for President.

It's still his money he's putting up. I guess that just irritates the ankle biters.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Three points? So then Cruz may only have a 4 point lead. Thanks!

Get over yourself. Just because I'm not intimidated by you and your comrades doesn't make me a troll. Evidently independent thinking doesn't agree with you.
My comrades? I don't know any of these people. Believe me, I have enough intellect to come up with my own ideas without throwing nonsense out there just to get a rise out of people like you seem to do every few minutes.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It's still his money he's putting up. I guess that just irritates the ankle biters.
Yay to the oligarchy!