Author Topic: Trump 4th statement on abortion: 'Abortion is murder but don't change the law. Leave it the way it is."  (Read 13952 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If you can't provide them just say so. Any blowhard  can make allegations.

Does that mean you are turning against The Donald?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good post.

I admire elegance.

Whether that elegance be casual and unintended but inwardly born, whether it's the breathtaking delicate elegance of Gershwin's piĆ¹ mosso piano solo about two minutes onto his Rhapsody in Blue,

That really is something special,ain't it?

BTW,am in agreement with the rest of your post,but had to comment on Rhapsody in Blue.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
That really is something special,ain't it?

BTW,am in agreement with the rest of your post,but had to comment on Rhapsody in Blue.

There were very few American movies allowed in post-Castro Cuban TV. One that used to play all the time was a 1945 production of Gershwin's life aptly named "Rhapsody in Blue". I must have watched that movie 50 times as a kid back in La Habana.

Robert Alda (Alan's father) played George and Gershwin's real-life best friend Oscar Levant played himself. Paul Whiteman (who commissioned the piece) played himself in the movie, as did Al Jolson and others.

I own a copy of the movie and still watch it occasionally.

As a kid in Cuba, Rhapsody in Blue formed my vision of what was New York City. I didn't make it to NYC until a few years ago, and I swear to song played in my head as my cab drove into Manhattan.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:53:02 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"There were very few American movies allowed in post-Castro Cuban TV. One that used to play all the time was a 1945 production of Gershwin's life aptly named "Rhapsody in Blue"."

I watched that movie when I was a kid,too. I think it was what was responsible for my life-long love of music. It just freaking blew me away. I was in elementary school and the only music I had heard up to that time had been typical early 50's AM radio or tv theme music stuff. Gershwin was a real revelation,but my favorite version is the one on trumpet.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"There were very few American movies allowed in post-Castro Cuban TV. One that used to play all the time was a 1945 production of Gershwin's life aptly named "Rhapsody in Blue"."

I watched that movie when I was a kid,too. I think it was what was responsible for my life-long love of music. It just freaking blew me away. I was in elementary school and the only music I had heard up to that time had been typical early 50's AM radio or tv theme music stuff. Gershwin was a real revelation,but my favorite version is the one on trumpet.

LOL.

The trumpet work in that piece had a pretty profound influence in my life too.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

Now, back to long-knives politics.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
LOL.

The trumpet work in that piece had a pretty profound influence in my life too.

It was the prime reason I chose a trumpet in my jr high band.