Author Topic: State Dept suspends review into 'top secret' Clinton emails  (Read 1213 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
State Dept suspends review into 'top secret' Clinton emails
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:23 pm »
This is actually better news than you probably first think from the title. State is getting out of the FBI's way on this and letting them own the investigation.

The State Department has suspended its internal review into whether former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton or her top aides mishandled emails containing information now deemed 'top secret."

Spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said Friday the department had paused the review to avoid interfering with an ongoing FBI investigation into Clinton's use of a private server while she was America's top diplomat.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CLINTON_EMAILS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-04-01-16-33-40

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: State Dept suspends review into 'top secret' Clinton emails
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »
This is actually better news than you probably first think from the title. State is getting out of the FBI's way on this and letting them own the investigation.

Agree... I started reading and at first my reaction was, "here we go".  Then it was, "oh wait".  I still have hope.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:24:09 pm »
FBI orders State Dept. to halt review of Clinton emails
By Pete Kasperowicz (@PeteKDCNews) • 4/1/16 2:55 PM •Updated: 04/01/16 3:58 PM

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fbi-orders-state-department-to-halt-review-of-clinton-emails/article/2587440

The State Department said Friday that the FBI has asked the department to halt its internal investigation into emails sent or received by Hillary Clinton while she led the department, emails that are now deemed to contain "top secret" information.

State had been reviewing whether the information was deemed top secret at the time it was sent, or whether the information only became top secret later. But State Department spokesman Elizabeth Trudeau said the FBI asked the department to stop so as not to interfere with the FBI's own investigation.

She said State asked the FBI for a ruling in February on whether it should proceed, and that the FBI told State to stand down on its review sometime in March.

"We contacted the FBI to solicit a judgement from them as to the best path forward," Trudeau told reporters when asked about the review of the 22 emails that included "top secret" information. She didn't clarify if the decision affected hundreds of other emails that included classified information.

"The FBI communicated to us that we should follow our standard practice, which is to put our internal review on hold while there is an ongoing law enforcement investigation underway," she said.

"Of course, we do not want our internal review to complicate or impede the process of their ongoing law enforcement investigation," she added. "Therefore, the State Department at this time is not moving forward with our internal review."

Trudeau had no comment on whether the move might be a sign that the FBI is preparing criminal charges against Clinton or any of her aides.

"I wouldn't read anything into it," she said.

She also said the internal review would continue once the FBI's investigation is completed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:25:20 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »
Surely the FBI knows within a day or two the State Dept. will be about the business of destroying and modifying records to protect Madam.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:32:40 pm »
Surely the FBI knows within a day or two the State Dept. will be about the business of destroying and modifying records to protect Madam.

Maybe. I think that the FBI has everything it needs already. I am thinking that they did this to send a warning shot across the bow that they are not screwing around anymore.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:49:01 pm »
Maybe. I think that the FBI has everything it needs already. I am thinking that they did this to send a warning shot across the bow that they are not screwing around anymore.

I wonder whether people will wake up if we end up with neither presidential candidate having been voted for by the people...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:58:21 pm »
I wonder whether people will wake up if we end up with neither presidential candidate having been voted for by the people...
Nope.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 12:17:52 am »

I can't begin to imagine how meticulous and thorough the investigation must be. These are the highest stakes imaginable. Former First Lady, former Senator, former Secretary of State, and now Presidential candidate.  They are indeed telling State to step aside.  Am I cynical?  Well, yes - with qualifiers.

Executive? Yes.
Justice? Yes.
State? Yes.
FBI? No.

This is yet another reason for extreme diligence. The agency doesn't trust those other guys either. I believe high-level, career agents will threaten and carry out massive leaks if Loretta Lynch doesn't comply if the FBI seeks an indictment. One that could reel in the candidate's husband, the former President.

Stakes of the highest order.

To the FBI - take your time. Get it right.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:37:52 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 02:31:10 am »
Maybe they also did it to preserve the ability to use evidence at trial, if need be.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 04:43:40 am »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-department-will-halt-hillary-clinton-emails-review-defer-to-fbi/

The State Department will halt its internal review of Hillary Clinton's classified emails and defer to the Federal Bureau of Investigation until its investigation is complete, State officials announced Friday.

"As you know, in late January the State Department announced that we intended to conduct an internal review to examine questions of classification at the time emails from former Secretary Clinton's collection were sent," said State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau. "In doing so we contacted the FBI to solicit a judgment from them as to the best path forward."

"The FBI communicated to us that we should follow our standard practice which is to put our internal review on hold while there is an ongoing law enforcement investigation underway," she continued. "We of course do not want our internal review to complicate or impede the progress of their ongoing investigation. Therefore, the State Department is not moving forward with our internal review at this time."

Trudeau added that State will "reassess next steps" once the FBI's investigation is finished, which could mean conducting its own review in addition to the FBI's. The timeline for the FBI's investigation is unclear, but top Clinton State Department aides are expected to be interviewed.

In January, the State Department said it had come across 22 emails from Clinton's private account that had to be upgraded to "Top Secret," which means the emails were completely withheld from being publicly released along with the rest of her emails. At the time, State said it would conduct an internal review to determine whether classified information was mishandled. The FBI notified State in early March that they should hold off on an internal review for the time being.

Clinton has said repeatedly that she did not send or receive information that was marked classified at the time; more than 1,000 messages were later deemed classified at lower levels, but January's were the first "top secret" missives.
The Republic is lost.

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:40:51 pm »
Maybe they also did it to preserve the ability to use evidence at trial, if need be.

Do you mean "preserve" it from people like Sandy Burglar? :whistle: