Author Topic: Former Aide, Worried About Trump's Knowledge Gaps. Now Backs Cruz  (Read 533 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Former Aide, Worried About Trump's Knowledge Gaps, Now Backs Cruz

A former aide to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz, Trump’s bitter rival, disappointed with what he says is Trump’s disinterest in learning what it takes to become leader of the free world.

Sam Nunberg, who was fired by the Trump campaign in August, told Politico Playbook he backs the Texas senator over the candidate he one worked to elect because while “Cruz is a Reagan conservative, Donald Trump does not have a coherent political ideology.”

Nunberg said the GOP front-runner’s lack of domestic- or foreign-policy chops has been obvious for months. But recent events, he added, made it clear Trump isn’t motivated to close his knowledge gaps.

“When did I decide that I could no longer support Trump? Last fall, when he did not have any idea of what the nuclear triad is in a debate,” Nunberg said. “I was concerned, but I figured that he would bulk up on policy. He has not.”

“I do not see a candidate who takes these issues seriously,” he continued. “The last straws were [Trump’s February interviews with CNN’s Jake Tapper and on MSNBC’s Morning Joe]: ‘I am really good at this stuff’ on foreign policy’ when he is not.”

Trump fired Nunberg, an adviser to the campaign, after Business Insider dug up racially-charged posts from 2007 and 2008 on Nunberg’s personal Facebook page. The real estate mogul brought Nunberg onto his then-nascent campaign before February 2015, even though Trump fired him a year earlier after Nunberg convinced him to participate in an unflattering Buzzfeed profile.

At the time of his second dismissal, Nunberg was described by Trump’s campaign as a “short-term consultant” in a “low-level campaign position.” Yet he was then just one of eight paid staffers listed on campaign financial disclosures.

Once described as “loyal to a fault,” Nunberg’s defection from Trump underscores concern over the growing realization among establishment conservatives that the celebrity billionaire is within reach of the Republican nomination – and could well be elected president – without demonstrating mastery, or even much interest, in many key policy issues.

“Particularly on foreign policy, Donald is out of his depth,” Cruz, the GOP candidate best positioned to catch to Trump, said on Fox News Sunday, picking up on a several days of negative press following Trump’s interviews with the Washington Post and New York Times. “He doesn’t know, he doesn’t understand these issues.”

A number of prominent Republicans, particularly those with foreign policy expertise, have declared they’d be willing to break party ranks and vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton in November, just to keep him out of the White House.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-28/former-aide-worried-about-trumps-knowledge-gaps-now-backs-cruz
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:57:40 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Former Aide, Worried About Trump's Knowledge Gaps. Now Backs Cruz
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:39 pm »
Trump has neither bulked up on policy, nor even made the least bit of effort to appear Presidential.   He's still just bragging about how much hotter his wife is. 

Trump's lack of seriousness reflects the lack of seriousness of his supporters,  who cheer him like a favored sports team that can do no wrong.   Trump thinks it's all a game,  one that's likely gone on far too long for his liking, but that his ego - and the worship of his minions - is forcing him to see through.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:36:59 pm »
Trump has neither bulked up on policy, nor even made the least bit of effort to appear Presidential.   He's still just bragging about how much hotter his wife is. 

Trump's lack of seriousness reflects the lack of seriousness of his supporters,  who cheer him like a favored sports team that can do no wrong.   Trump thinks it's all a game,  one that's likely gone on far too long for his liking, but that his ego - and the worship of his minions - is forcing him to see through.

Keep in mind that Trump has won a lot of open primary states where DEMS have voted for him in hopes that he will be the nominee as they realize that he can't beat Hillary.  The rest of his minions are clinging to false hopes given to them by an orange baboon.  Very sad.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:46:32 pm »
Trump is nothing more than a good old fashioned cult of personality. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »
Keep in mind that Trump has won a lot of open primary states where DEMS have voted for him in hopes that he will be the nominee as they realize that he can't beat Hillary.  The rest of his minions are clinging to false hopes given to them by an orange baboon.  Very sad.

Here in Pennsy,  record numbers of Dems and unaffiliated voters are registering to vote in the GOP primary.   The optimist in me says they'll go for Kasich, the pessimist says they're backing the Donald to help Clinton achieve victory in the fall.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide