Author Topic: Terror in England - There Isn't  (Read 2538 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Terror in England - There Isn't
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:39:29 pm »
One of the things commonly noticed is the difference in tone between reporting of terror attacks in the USA and the UK.

UK attacks tend to be reported on for a couple of days on the front pages of the news, then move rapidly but steadily down the priority list as the England team lose again (pick absolutely any sport and that happens) or someone flashes their bits on live TV. It's not because we're callous, we get indignant as hell when another country is attacked. We are no more goldfish brained than the rest of the world, not that THAT is saying much. We're simply used to it. Mass casualty terror attacks were common enough that they began to be treated as less important than an unexpected bout of sunshine.

Notice the distinct lack of blue in the above chart after 9/11. Apart from 7/7/05, which killed 52, there is nothing really. This despite the UK not only being heavily involved in the War on Terror but having a significant Muslim population.
Part of it, no doubt, is down to an extremely effective police force. Part of it is down to who we let in - the vast majority of our muslim citizens came here to get away from fundamentalists. Part of it is how they came in - forced integration is a sometimes painful but effective technique. Some of it, dare I say, can be put down to the memory of just how downright homicidal the British can get, inherited from the days of Empire and reinforced by our football fans. Some of it is luck, without doubt.

Whatever it is, the mixture works.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Terror in England - There Isn't
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:15:54 pm »
Some of it must be because you are there to vigilantly protect the motherland from evil-doers.   :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:51:58 pm »
Do these figures include attacks on a much smaller scale like the soldier who was killed and mutilated, or only larger, organization attributed acts of terror?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:04:24 pm »
Gunner Rigby is included, God rest his soul. Dunblane is not, as that was "just" a psycho.

The numbers include every attack which resulted in even one death which was determined to be terror related. The UK is a lot less squeamish than the Worm about talking terror - for the same reason. It is not unusual here, so we name it for what it is. Which ALSO may be a contributing factor.  :shrug:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:34:18 pm »
Cricket is terror enough, isn't it?  :silly:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:58 pm »
Gunner Rigby is included, God rest his soul. Dunblane is not, as that was "just" a psycho.

The numbers include every attack which resulted in even one death which was determined to be terror related. The UK is a lot less squeamish than the Worm about talking terror - for the same reason. It is not unusual here, so we name it for what it is. Which ALSO may be a contributing factor.  :shrug:

I find it surprising that anybody would tout the records from Europe about an absence of problems with muslims.

Rotherham sexual episode seems to prove some might big problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:47:55 pm »
Was Rotherham a terrorist attack?

No. It was not.

It was cowardly politically correct leftist weenies NOT doing their damned jobs while preventing others from doing theirs. Shameful and disgusting, yes. But outside the scope of this discussion.