Author Topic: Trump accused of Putin favors with NATO criticism  (Read 1102 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Trump accused of Putin favors with NATO criticism
« on: March 26, 2016, 04:40:43 am »
Donald Trump once again is being accused of giving Vladimir Putin a helping hand, on the heels of the Republican presidential front-runner's tough NATO criticism.

After the billionaire businessman criticized the alliance earlier this week as expensive and "obsolete," his political foes noted that any pull-back from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, which was created in 1949, would be greeted as welcome news in Moscow.

“That would be a massive victory for Putin and a massive victory for ISIS,” his opponent, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, told Fox News' "The O’Reilly Factor."

“Donald's approach on foreign policy is one of weakness and isolationism,” Cruz added. “That's his position consistently across the globe.”

Trump took on the NATO issue during a meeting earlier this week with The Washington Post editorial board. He said the U.S. “shouldn’t be nation building anymore,” and NATO has become too expensive, with too little commitment from allies, to fully invest in. He accused Germany and other allies of not doing enough on Ukraine, which is locked in a regional power struggle with Russia.

“We certainly can’t afford to do this anymore,” he told the paper, adding later, “NATO is costing us a fortune, and yes we’re protecting Europe with NATO, but we’re spending a lot of money.” 
2016 Election Headquarters

The latest headlines on the 2016 elections from the biggest name in politics.
See Latest Coverage →

This prompted Democratic presidential front-runner and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to sound off. “If Mr. Trump gets his way, it will be like Christmas in the Kremlin,” she said Wednesday in a Stanford University speech.

For his part, Trump stood by his comments, calling NATO “obsolete” on Twitter, though he stopped short of saying the U.S. needed to get out completely. Instead, he said NATO “must be changed to additionally focus on terrorism as well as some of the things it is currently focused on. ... We pay a disproportionate share of the cost of NATO. Why? It is time to renegotiate, and the time is now!"

Trump did not cast his comments as in any way a concession to Russia. But Trump and Putin famously have been making favorable comments about one another dating back months.

“I've always felt fine about Putin. He's a strong leader, he's a powerful leader,” Trump told MSNBC in December. “He's actually got popularity within his country.”

Russian authorities seem to be having fun with the political back-and-forth, with a Russian foreign ministry spokesman telling Reuters this week that Trump’s latest comments were welcome in that they showed the global alliance, which grew in the 1950s and '60s in reaction to the rise of the Soviet Union, in crisis. Russia has maintained that NATO abrogated agreements it made with Russia not to expand into former Soviet countries, including the Baltic States.

Trump and Putin are similar, the ministry told Reuters. “They are both open-minded, pragmatic, and say what they think.”

Autoplaying video of some talking head at link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/25/trump-accused-putin-favors-with-nato-criticism.html

Which retard decided this was a good idea?

IF Trump is the nominee - congratulations, you've just completely neutrallized Hillary selling 20% of the US uranium to the damned Russians.

Freaking idiots.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump accused of Putin favors with NATO criticism
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:24:09 pm »
Trump's concern and bottom line is always about money; “We certainly can’t afford to do this anymore,” he told the paper, adding later, “NATO is costing us a fortune, and yes we’re protecting Europe with NATO, but we’re spending a lot of money.”  He obviously neglects the that by protecting our allies we are in essence protecting the U.S. He neglects the fact that we have made treaties and pacts with other countries and  again illustrates why a Trump presidency would be dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:25:25 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 01:34:32 pm »
Notice how Trump never mentions Congress. In that, he is like Bernie Sanders, who spouts all this stuff he would do, as if he could impose them via diktat. 

Congress would never approve a withdrawal from NATO and Trump knows that too.  It's only his clueless supporters who don't.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »
Notice how Trump never mentions Congress. In that, he is like Bernie Sanders, who spouts all this stuff he would do, as if he could impose them via diktat. 

Congress would never approve a withdrawal from NATO and Trump knows that too.  It's only his clueless supporters who don't.

I'm not so sure that Trump knows anything about Congress and I don't think he knows the function of the three branches of government.  He is NOT fit nor ready to be Commander in Chief.  I think a lot of his support comes from disgruntled DEMS and he has won open primaries by DEMS voting for him so that he becomes the nominee paving Hillary's way to the White House.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »

Trump is going to do everything by himself. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »
Trump accused of . . .

. . .  any story the MSM  can create and their lemmings can absorb.   8888spinning cat

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 07:12:45 pm »
I'm not so sure that Trump knows anything about Congress and I don't think he knows the function of the three branches of government.  He is NOT fit nor ready to be Commander in Chief.  I think a lot of his support comes from disgruntled DEMS and he has won open primaries by DEMS voting for him so that he becomes the nominee paving Hillary's way to the White House.

Of course Trump knows nothing about Congress.  When he becomes ruler of the world, he's just going to fix everything all by his onesies......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:05:58 pm »

. . .  any story the MSM  can create and their lemmings can absorb.   8888spinning cat

AND CRUZ SAYS HE IS ABOLISHING THE IRS! :huh?: :laughingdog: :laughingdog:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02