Author Topic: First Republican Senator to Meet With SCOTUS Nominee Merrick Garland  (Read 628 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk broke against his party and is set to become the first Republican senator to meet with Merrick Garland, President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee, on Tuesday, his office confirmed with MSNBC on Friday.

The announcement comes a week after Kirk took a shot at his Republican colleagues for refusing to hold a Senate hearing and vote on Garland. Obama tapped the 63-year-old chief judge of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to replace the late Antonin Scalia, who died in Texas last month.

Kirk's office said more details about the meeting will be released on Monday and that the senator wants to know where Garland stands. The meeting was first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times.

In an interview with Chicago's WLS-AM last week Friday, Kirk, who faces a tough re-election fight, called on Republicans to "man up and cast a vote" because "the president has already laid out a nominee."

"For me, I'm open to see him, talk to him and ask for his views on the Constitution. Your whole job is to either say yes or no and explain why," he said.

Just hours after Scalia's death, GOP lawmakers and presidential candidates pledged to block any move by Obama to nominate someone to succeed the conservative judge.

More plus some video I didn't watch: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/first-republican-senator-meet-scotus-nominee-merrick-garland-n545841
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

A-Lert

Re: First Republican Senator to Meet With SCOTUS Nominee Merrick Garland
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:37:57 am »
The beginning of the cave?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 04:45:38 am »
It was my first thought.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:50:48 am »
Can't be a cave in. I was assured by the establishment types that a cave in was impossible.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:52:17 am »
Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk broke against his party and is set to become the first Republican senator to meet with Merrick Garland, President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee, on Tuesday, his office confirmed with MSNBC on Friday.

The announcement comes a week after Kirk took a shot at his Republican colleagues for refusing to hold a Senate hearing and vote on Garland. Obama tapped the 63-year-old chief judge of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to replace the late Antonin Scalia, who died in Texas last month.

Kirk's office said more details about the meeting will be released on Monday and that the senator wants to know where Garland stands. The meeting was first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times.

In an interview with Chicago's WLS-AM last week Friday, Kirk, who faces a tough re-election fight, called on Republicans to "man up and cast a vote" because "the president has already laid out a nominee."

"For me, I'm open to see him, talk to him and ask for his views on the Constitution. Your whole job is to either say yes or no and explain why," he said.

Just hours after Scalia's death, GOP lawmakers and presidential candidates pledged to block any move by Obama to nominate someone to succeed the conservative judge.

More plus some video I didn't watch: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/first-republican-senator-meet-scotus-nominee-merrick-garland-n545841

Sorry folks, but when you're looking at Donald Trump as a possible nominee, you have to start considering the fact that this guy is way, way better than what you will get under Hillary Clinton and a Democrat Senate.

Facts is facts.