Author Topic: Why Obamacare Premiums Are Climbing All Over US  (Read 2498 times)

rangerrebew

Why Obamacare Premiums Are Climbing All Over US
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »
Why Obamacare Premiums Are Climbing All Over US

http://dailysignal.com//print?post_id=255215

Drew Gonshorowski / March 21, 2016

On the third year of the Affordable Care Act exchanges, it is becoming more apparent that the promises of cost-saving and premium reduction may be reserved only for people who are able to capture the most subsidies.

Exchange premiums are climbing all over the country. For example, plans increased rates by 25.1 percent in Kentucky, 14 percent in Ohio, and nearly 11 percent in Michigan. In Idaho, the largest insurer, Blue Cross of Idaho, had a rate increase of 23 percent. Some plans, as in the case of New Mexico, had to pull from the exchanges due to high costs. For the country as a whole, through modeling at The Heritage Foundation, we estimate that a premium increase of roughly 15 percent is in order for 2016.

The main reason many insurers are raising premiums this year is because they are experiencing higher than expected costs.

This update implies that the people currently signed up in the plans are less healthy than what was anticipated by the company when calculating what to charge for premiums last year.

This also shows, as pointed out by senior research fellow at the Mercatus Center Brian Blase, that the mandate may not be having the expected effect on enrollment. Additionally, some plans are utilizing a narrow network model, which is less flexible on doctors and providers, to keep premium increases low.

While this year’s experience with the Affordable Care Act exchanges has been worse than expected, it is important to remember that the Affordable Care Act had already drastically increased premiums for individual health insurance.

For 2014, in the state of Tennessee, premiums for a 27-year-old on the exchanges cost 70 percent more than what that person would have paid previously. In 2015, premiums would increase another 18 percent for that individual, in a year that was billed as one including “modest” increases.

For a 50-year-old, premiums increased by 31.6 percent in 2014 and 9.8 percent in 2015. In 2016, the premium increases for younger adults is similarly larger than the rest of the population. While many will point to the subsidies as a reason premiums are not rising quickly for many individuals in the exchanges, it is important to note the effect higher costs have on discouraging enrollment from people that have higher incomes.

These people won’t get as much of a subsidy, and subsequently, shopping in the exchanges isn’t nearly as appealing. The fact remains that these subsidies still have to be funded, and at an increasing rate.

This behavior in the markets is not some glitch or temporary effect. Heavily regulating insurance plans in these markets has led to large increases in premiums. There are several examples, but three factors contribute greatly to increasing premiums.

The Affordable Care Act restricts age-specific pricing to a ratio of 3 to 1. This means that Obamacare doesn’t allow prices to vary between someone who is 18 and someone who is 64 by more than three times the medical cost. The natural variation in medical costs across the ages is, however, at least five times. This restricts the amount a person can be charged directly for his expected costs.

The Affordable Care Act requires health plans to cover a set of “essential health benefits,” as well as a list of “preventive services” for which plans are prohibited from charging enrollees any copayments.

This leads to increased costs by making many plans pay for benefits that individuals do not need or utilize. Finally, the Affordable Care Act’s minimum actuarial requirement establishes a floor for what plans must pay toward the cost of covered services. The law standardizes this into metal tiers. Plans under 60 percent no longer exist.

The Affordable Care Act was sold as something that would lower the cost of health care for millions of Americans. The only thing another year of premium increases, now once again accelerating, proves is that the promise becomes harder and harder to believe.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:21:21 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Why Obamacare Premiums Are Climbing All Over US
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:32:20 pm »
If your Obamacare premiums have gone up but you voted obama last time then you're getting exactly what you deserve, IMO.

No sympathy.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:43:53 pm »
The ACA has been a boon for white males in their fifties and early sixties (that is, pre-Medicare).   Individual insurance premiums for that cohort are relatively affordable, in part because of the 3-1 rule described in the article above.   Of course,  the relatively high costs of that group are subsidized by younger American males,  who increasingly are deciding to pay the ObamaCare tax and go without health insurance.   With fewer younger, healthy lives to support the health care costs of older, pre-Medicare folks,  the spiral of increasing premium costs becomes entirely predictable.   

To stabilize the system,  more younger males (and to a lesser extent, females)  need to be buyers in the individual insurance marketplace.   There's actually a pretty simple fix for that, requiring the addition of a mere sentence or two to the ACA.   Just allow employers to satisfy their mandate to offer group health insurance to their full-time employees by subsidizing the premium costs of their workers who choose to get individual insurance in the ACA marketplace.   

Right now,  employers must either pay a penalty of approximately $2,000 per head or offer group health coverage that typically costs employers $5,000 - $6,000  or more.   So give employers the choice of avoiding the $2,000 penalty by contributing, say, $4,000 to a health reimbursement account (HRA)  that the employee can either use to self-insure his health care costs or go to the ACA marketplace to pay for individual insurance.   Suddenly, there will be a flock of younger, healthier lives into the individual insurance system,  and employers will save money as compared to running their own group health care plan.   Assuming the system of ACA subsidies remains in place, simply count the employer's HRA contribution as part of the employee's income for purposes of qualifying for the subsidy.   It's a win-win-win-win  - employers save both money and hassle, employees get access to affordable health coverage,  the insurance premium death spiral is reversed by the influx of healthier lives, and the government saves money on subsidy costs.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:54:13 pm »
This is an email making the rounds. Pardon the excessive use of capital letters. I do not guarantee the accuracy of any of its statements.
Family, Friends, Neighbors, and former Classmates,   

I just found myself in the middle of a medical situation that made it very clear that "the Affordable Care Act" is  neither affordable, nor do they care. 

I'll go back about seven years ago to a fairly radical prostate surgery that I underwent.  The Urologist who performed the surgery was very concerned that it was cancer, though I wasn't told this until the lab report revealed it was benign.   

Since that procedure, I have experienced numerous urinary tract infections, UTI's.  Since I had never had a "UTI" prior to the prostate surgery, I assumed that it is one of the side effects from surgery, an assumption since confirmed by my Family Doctor.   

The weekend of March 8-9, I was experiencing all the symptoms of another UTI.  By Monday afternoon the infection had hit with full force.  Knowing that all I needed was an antibiotic, I went to an  Urgent   Care   Center  in  Mesa ,  AZ , to provide a specimen a requirement for getting the prescription.  After waiting 45 minutes to see the Doctor, I started getting very nauseous and light headed.   I went to the Receptionist to ask where the  bathroom was, as I felt  that I was going to throw up.   I was told that I would have to wait for the Doctor because I would have to leave a specimen and they didn't want me in the bathroom without first seeing him.

That was when the lights went out. My next awareness was that of finding myself on the floor (in the waiting room) having violent dry heaves, and very  confused.  At this point, I tried to stand up but couldn't make it, and they made it very clear they weren't going to let me get up until the ambulance got there.  By the way, when you're waiting to see the Doctor and you pass out, you get very prompt attention.

Now, "the rest of the story", and the reason for sending this to so many of you.   

I was taken to the nearest hospital, to emergency. Once there, I was transported to an emergency examination room. Once I had removed my clothes and donned one of those lovely hospital gowns, I finally got to see a Doctor.  I asked "what is going on?  I'm just having a UTI. Just get me the proper medication and let me go home." He told me that my symptoms presented the possibility of sepsis, a potentially deadly migration of toxins, and that they needed to run several tests to determine how far the infection had migrated.   

For the next 3 hours I was subjected to several tests, blood draws, EKG's, and demands for specimens.  At about 7:30 the nurse came back to my room to inform me that one of the tests takes 1- 2 days to complete.

I asked if they (the results) could be emailed, at which point she informed me that I wouldn't need them emailed because I wasn't going anywhere. I did tell her I wanted to see the doctor because I had no intention of staying overnight.   

Now, this is what I want each of you to understand. Please read these  next sentences carefully.    The doctor finally came in to inform me that he was going to admit me.  I said, "Are you admitting me for treatment or for  observation?"   

He told me that I would be admitted for observation.  I said, "Doctor, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you admit me for observation, my Medicare will not pay anything.  This due to the Affordable Care Act."   

He said, "That's right, it won't."       

I grabbed my bag of clothing and said, "Then I'm going home."   

He said you're really too sick to be going home, but I understand your position. This health program is going to hit seniors especially hard.

The doctor then left the room and I started getting dressed.  I was just getting ready to put my shoes on when another doctor (the closer) came into the room. He saw me dressed and said, "Where do you think you are going?" I simply said "I'm going home."

To which he replied, quite vociferously, "No you aren't."  I said, "Doc, you and I both know that under the "Affordable Care Act" anyone on Medicare who is admitted to a hospital for observation will be responsible for the bill. Medicare won't pay a cent."  At which point he nodded in affirmation.  I said, "You will either admit me for a specific treatment or you won't admit me." Realizing he wasn't going to win this one, he said he would prepare my release papers.

A few minutes later, the discharge nurse came to my room to have me sign the necessary papers, relieving them from any responsibility.  I told her I wasn't trying to be obstinate, but I wasn't going to be burdened with the full (financial) responsibility for my hospital stay. 

After making sure the door was closed, she said, "I don't blame you at all, I would do the same thing."  She went on to say, "You wouldn't  believe the people who elect to leave for the same reasons, people who are deathly sick, people who have to be wheeled out on a gurney."

She further said, "The 'Affordable Care Act' is going to be a disaster for seniors. Yet, if you are in this country illegally, and have no coverage, you will be covered in full."

This is not internet hype folks, this is real. I just experienced it personally. 

Moving right along, this gets worse. Today I went to a (required) follow up appointment with my Arizona Family Practitioner.  Since my white count was pretty high, the follow up was important.

During the visit, I shared the experience at emergency, and that I had refused to be admitted. His response was "I don't blame you at all, I would have done the same thing."

He went on to say that the colonoscopy and other procedures are probably going to be dropped from coverage for those over 70.

I told him that I had heard that the "Affordable Care Act" would no longer pay for cancer treatment for those 76 and older, is that true?  His understanding is that it is true.

The more I  hear, and experience the Affordable Care Act, the more I'm beginning to see that we seniors are nothing more than an inconvenience, and the sooner they can get rid of us the better off they'll be.   

We can have an impact on this debacle by letting everyone in Congress know that their responsibility is to the constituents, not the president and not the lobbyists.  We need to let them ALL know that they are in office to serve and to look after the BEST INTERESTS of "we the people," their employers, and not to become self-serving bureaucrats who serve only out of greed. And if they don't seem to understand this simple  logic, we'll fire them.   

REMEMBER:    Demand  your hospital admission is for TREATMENT and NOT for OBSERVATION!   Don't believe this? Ask your doctor.

SEND THIS TO EVERY SENIOR AND ALL MILITARY (ACTIVE OR VET) AND LET  THEM KNOW THIS IS HOW OUR REPRESENTATIVES ON CAPITOL HILL TREAT THOSE  WHO RISK IT ALL SO THEY CAN SIT UP THERE AND ENJOY ALL THE BENEFITS THEY EXEMPT FROM THE REST OF US.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59:33 pm »
My mom is a retired senior who is vehemently liberal: pro obama, pro hillary.

:shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 01:24:21 pm »

Sorry, WTF.  It seems like it is usually fear-based.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 01:36:35 pm »
Sorry, WTF.  It seems like it is usually fear-based.
I've seen too many Dem candidates waltz into a senior center while campaigning and essentially tell the folks if they don't vote Dem, they're going to lose all their benefits, beginning with Social Security. Fear trumps reason (not a Trump reference, it just seemed like the correct term to use).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 02:09:15 pm »
Health care premiums are going up because the ACA took a system that had too many middle men in it already, and in typical liberal fashion "fixed" it by adding more middle men.  You can try to tweak it this way or that way, and shift the balance of winners and losers, but the essential economic fact of life remains that the system needs to be streamlined, not burdened with more administration.

Obamacare needs to be scrapped, the subsidies need to be phased out, and the health care e-marketplace needs to be sold to a private entity that can offer plans that are relatively unregulated and are not burdened by idiosyncratic state regulations.  Buying a health plan for one's business or for oneself ought to be as easy as buying a plane ticket or hotel room.

Most importantly, we need to go back to "Buyer Beware" when it comes to health insurance so that people take more responsibility for their own decision-making.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 03:22:01 pm »
I still like Ben Carson's health savings plan.  Puts the control and responsibility back on the citizen.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 05:01:23 pm »
Health care premiums are going up because the ACA took a system that had too many middle men in it already, and in typical liberal fashion "fixed" it by adding more middle men.  You can try to tweak it this way or that way, and shift the balance of winners and losers, but the essential economic fact of life remains that the system needs to be streamlined, not burdened with more administration.

Obamacare needs to be scrapped, the subsidies need to be phased out, and the health care e-marketplace needs to be sold to a private entity that can offer plans that are relatively unregulated and are not burdened by idiosyncratic state regulations.  Buying a health plan for one's business or for oneself ought to be as easy as buying a plane ticket or hotel room.

Most importantly, we need to go back to "Buyer Beware" when it comes to health insurance so that people take more responsibility for their own decision-making.

:thumbsup:

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 08:35:46 pm »

My brother died about 5 months ago and to the bitter end still believed all the hogwash Imam Obama had lied about in the ACA.  He believed Obama was a "moderate."  In his world, global warming was going to be the biggest killer of all time. etc., etc.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 09:12:52 pm »
Not to go "there" again, but if this is one of our biggest issues—and it is and has been for years, IMO—then why in 2012 did the GOP nominate a guy who concocted this whole scheme while Governor of Massachusetts, and now in 2016 is on pace to nominate a guy whose solution is to get the government to pay for it? It just drives me nuts how easily we're distracted.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 09:24:46 pm »
Not to go "there" again, but if this is one of our biggest issues—and it is and has been for years, IMO—then why in 2012 did the GOP nominate a guy who concocted this whole scheme while Governor of Massachusetts, and now in 2016 is on pace to nominate a guy whose solution is to get the government to pay for it? It just drives me nuts how easily we're distracted.

Because people are dying in the streets, Myrle.... 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 11:39:52 pm »

That is not an entirely fair characterization of Romney's role in MassachusettsCare.  MA is so far left they would have had something like it anyways.  I believe Romney's main contribution was the requirement that residents have insurance, which was intended to keep the liberals' cluster eff from blowing up immediately.  At any rate, as a sovereign state MA had the power to engage in this sort of nonsense; it is the sort of general police power the states have.