Author Topic: Trump: If GOP Takes My Nomination, Supporters Won't Vote  (Read 4845 times)

Bill Cipher

Re: Trump: If GOP Takes My Nomination, Supporters Won't Vote
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 12:26:36 am »

1. disenfranchised (adj.)

Synonyms:

voiceless

Exactly, as in "cannot speak" or "not allowed to speak" - not "chooses not to speak".  The Trumpettes have never been disenfranchised, they have simply chosen not to exercise the franchise each of them has upon turning 18 (or being naturalized), provided they haven't lost it by being a criminal.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 12:28:41 am »

88finger point
Synonyms:

voiceless

Voiceless? Unless they're felons, they can make an X like anybody else and fill out a voter registration card and haul their size 50 butts down to a polling place and vote.  They seem to be able to get to a Trump rally, why not to a voting booth?

They're not disenfranchised.  They're lazy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 12:36:50 am »
You know very well these 50 year olds, voting for the first time, have been lazy asses, uninterested in politics.  They're still uninterested in politics, but have come to see the show.  Donald Trump is the show and it gives them something to do and be excited about.  Like WWE. 

Anti-Trumps who say they won't vote for Trump will surely vote in all the down-ballot races.  Just not for Trump.  I assure you, they're not loony tunes or here for the show.

Yes!  That is what I was trying to get at the other day.  WWE.  They can relate to him.  Their kind of guy!  Crude, rude, insulting and entertaining.   Why would these people ever want to go see someone that could actually discuss the issues?  They wouldn't be able to get it because they never cared enough to vote.  To exercise their right and they don't even know how precious it is to be able to have a voice. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:34 am »

Synonyms:

voiceless

Nice spin with your so called synonym. You are either being intentionally obtuse or you are one of the Trump supporters who haven't voted in 50 years. To most of the educated world, disenfranchised has to do with having your voting rights taken away.

Maybe you should consult a Websters Dictionary prior to posting large words.

A-Lert

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 01:13:47 am »
Nice spin with your so called synonym. You are either being intentionally obtuse or you are one of the Trump supporters who haven't voted in 50 years. To most of the educated world, disenfranchised has to do with having your voting rights taken away.

Maybe you should consult a Websters Dictionary prior to posting large words.

Live, read, research and learn, Frank. It isn't that difficult. Expand your knowledge, horizons and vocabulary.

http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/disenfranchised

Disfranchised - definition of disfranchised by The...
www.thefreedictionary.com/disfranchised

Define disfranchised. disfranchised synonyms, disfranchised pronunciation, ... disenfranchised, voteless, voiceless.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 01:19:14 am »
Live, read, research and learn, Frank. It isn't that difficult. Expand your knowledge, horizons and vocabulary.

http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/disenfranchised

Disfranchised - definition of disfranchised by The...
www.thefreedictionary.com/disfranchised

Define disfranchised. disfranchised synonyms, disfranchised pronunciation, ... disenfranchised, voteless, voiceless.

Nope.  We're discussing the "franchise" in the narrow sense of the right to vote, not in some generalized sense.  The "franchise" in this context is the right to vote, whether the holder exercises the right or not.  When someone is "disenfranchised" that means that person's right to vote has been taken away; that is, he cannot vote whether or not he wants to.  Wikipedia, as usual, provides a useful article on the subject:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffrage

A-Lert

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 01:30:46 am »

We're discussing

No,  we're not.  I'm specifically posting about those disenfranchised/voiceless people who feel they are ignored by the political parties and have no say in the political process. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 01:35:46 am »
No,  we're not.  I'm specifically posting about those disenfranchised/voiceless people who feel they are ignored by the political parties and have no say in the political process. 

And as several people have already pointed out, feeling ignored is not the same thing as being "disenfranchised" because that term has a very definite meaning when it comes to politics and democracy.  The fact of the matter is, it is in the nature of democracy that the minority gets ignored by popularly elected politicians almost precisely because they're the minority.  An elected politician is going to pay a lot more attention to the people who elected him than to those who voted against him.  That doesn't make the minority disenfranchised, it just makes them ignored.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 01:36:42 am »

They have a vote.  That they choose not to exercise it is their fault, not some amorphous "other" who constrains them from driving to a polling place and casting a vote.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 01:37:38 am »
They have a vote.  That they choose not to exercise it is their fault, not some amorphous "other" who constrains them from driving to a polling place and casting a vote.

:thumbsup:

A-Lert

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:27 am »
And as several people have already pointed out, feeling ignored is not the same thing as being "disenfranchised" because that term has a very definite meaning when it comes to politics and democracy.  The fact of the matter is, it is in the nature of democracy that the minority gets ignored by popularly elected politicians almost precisely because they're the minority.  An elected politician is going to pay a lot more attention to the people who elected him than to those who voted against him.  That doesn't make the minority disenfranchised, it just makes them ignored.

Voiceless=disenfranchised whether you agree or don't.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:35 am »

While I'll agree that many times our politicians go to DC and do the very opposite of why we voted for them, that is not disenfranchisement in the voting sense of the word. There is no denial of the ability to vote.

Have our voted leaders ignored us? Certainly, many times. But just as many times we vote for a McConnell over a Bevin, because McConnell delivers the bacon, but screws us in the long run. Or a McCain over Thompson or similar. We'd rather have the bacon than a Tea Party conservative but I don't call that disenfranchisement.
The Republic is lost.

HonestJohn

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 01:57:16 am »
:thumbsup:

Don't you understand?  It's da *MAN*, I tell ya!  Da *MAN* be keeping dem down!!!

Only today, 'Da MAN' is called 'the establishment'.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 01:59:09 am »
Voiceless=disenfranchised whether you agree or don't.

Not in the context of voting and elections it doesn't, no matter how many times you say it does.

A-Lert

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 02:05:43 am »
While I'll agree that many times our politicians go to DC and do the very opposite of why we voted for them, that is not disenfranchisement in the voting sense of the word. There is no denial of the ability to vote.

Have our voted leaders ignored us? Certainly, many times. But just as many times we vote for a McConnell over a Bevin, because McConnell delivers the bacon, but screws us in the long run. Or a McCain over Thompson or similar. We'd rather have the bacon than a Tea Party conservative but I don't call that disenfranchisement.

Again, you are not the authority on the definition of disenfranchised and you don't get to define. Plenty of us feel we don't have a voice. That is the reason Trump has gained traction. He recognizes what no other candidate does, mainly because the other candidates are politicians who just don't seem to  GAS.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 02:11:10 am »
Again, you are not the authority on the definition of disenfranchised and you don't get to define. Plenty of us feel we don't have a voice. That is the reason Trump has gained traction. He recognizes what no other candidate does, mainly because the other candidates are politicians who just don't seem to  GAS.

Just because one has a voice does not mean that other people must follow what one says.  One is disenfranchised politically if there is no set of circumstances under which one's voice might be taken into account in the electoral process.  One is not disenfranchised politically simply because one is always on the losing end of every vote, if one was in fact able to legally cast a vote that was counted.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2016, 02:11:44 am »

You think Trump is your voice?  A man who has never had any regard for anything but money?  Who has screwed countless "voiceless" people in his Trump University scam?  Who hung creditors out to dry in his bankruptcies? Who ignored 500 Americans applying for work at Mar-a-Lago in favor of imported Romanians?  Who hired illegals to build his temples and was sued for stiffing them?

Trump doesn't give a damn about the voiceless.  He's suckering you for his own selfish arrogance and ambition.  If it suits him, he'll turn his back on you in a heartbeat. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:12:49 am by sinkspur »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2016, 02:13:48 am »

You know we could have used some disenfranchised people to keep us from eight years of Obama.  Fifty years of not voting and now they are complaining?  Maybe they wouldn't have been disenfranchised.  And while we are talking about Obama Trump thought Obama and Hillary were both great.  Too bad that Trump didn't realize that all those voters were disenfranchised then....right?  These people are no more blind then the Obama people who thought he was some Messiah.  It was weird and creepy.  I felt disenfranchised.  Poor me, and I never thought that Obama was good.  Never thought that Hillary was good.  Never had that poor of judgment.  Thankfully.  And I voted.  We didn't win. But I voted.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 02:19:24 am »

Well I don't attach the messiahship or Moses factor to Trump as you do, or to any other candidate for that matter. Again, while our political leaders have often ignored us, We The People have shot ourselves in the foot many times in the lead up to the current situation. Blame is to be shared all around here.

There's alot that needs to be fixed, and while Trump says some good things, in no way does he recognize what no other candidate does. In fact he falls far short in terms of policy.

He also has his own insider tendencies no better than anyone else, his followers just refuse to see it. I fail to see how navigating the New York City political system to get things down is any different than any other navigating of any political system in DC.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 02:30:43 am »
We'd rather have the bacon than a Tea Party conservative but I don't call that disenfranchisement.
Again, you are not the authority on the definition of disenfranchised and you don't get to define.
Great.  Now I have no real authority on the definition of disenfranchised.  You let me down Free Vulcan, and I'm taking back my permission for you to define stuff too.

A-Lert

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 02:32:09 am »
Well I don't attach the messiahship or Moses factor to Trump as you do,

OMG!  :bsflag:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 02:33:27 am »
Great.  Now I have no real authority on the definition of disenfranchised.  You let me down Free Vulcan, and I'm taking back my permission for you to define stuff too.

:silly:

Are you disenfranchising Free Vulcan?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 02:35:26 am »
Well I don't attach the messiahship or Moses factor to Trump as you do, or to any other candidate for that matter. Again, while our political leaders have often ignored us, We The People have shot ourselves in the foot many times in the lead up to the current situation. Blame is to be shared all around here.

There's alot that needs to be fixed, and while Trump says some good things, in no way does he recognize what no other candidate does. In fact he falls far short in terms of policy.

He also has his own insider tendencies no better than anyone else, his followers just refuse to see it. I fail to see how navigating the New York City political system to get things down is any different than any other navigating of any political system in DC.

OMG!  :bsflag:

Sorry Free Vulcan, you've been disenfranchised.  I hear tell there's an "ignore" feature on the forum.  Maybe it should be called the "disenfranchise" feature.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 02:37:27 am »

Man, tough day. I've been disenfranchised from defining disenfranchisement.  :chairbang:
The Republic is lost.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:37 am »
Man, tough day. I've been disenfranchised from defining disenfranchisement.  :chairbang:

What?  I'm sorry, I can't hear you!