Author Topic: Donald Trump just hit a critical threshold for the GOP nomination — one that his opponents might not  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Carling

You don't believe in having safe rooms for kittens?  I do.  I have two and they're always safe.

If you're not posting in the Trump Caucus, don't be afraid of the kittens.

Yep, you'd never say it to me in real life.  What a man!   :silly:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Where in the bylaws does it say this?  It's my understanding that winning a majority of delegates in 8 states is one of the current qualifiers, and will need to be changed next month.  If you have proof otherwise, please link it.
Key word: ONE of them. But not the only one. You could have a very realistic chance of none of the candidates meeting all of the criteria. Then what?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Carling

Key word: ONE of them. But not the only one. You could have a very realistic chance of none of the candidates meeting all of the criteria. Then what?

The rule is quite clear of who would be eligible at this point in a brokered convention.  Trump is the only one, and it looks like Cruz could also qualify with them being the two eligible candidates.  As the rule states now, delegates could vote for either Trump or Cruz in that case.

It's moot anyhow because GOProg leadership is merely going to eliminate this qualifier in order to blow the party apart and elect HRC to keep the gravy train rolling along.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:05:06 pm by Carling »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Can't throw spitballs on the Trump Caucus. Gotta come on the main thread to do it.

It's OK to trash us over there, but you can't be poked at anywhere, amirite?

LOL!

Trying to engage in a rational conversation with a Trump Hater is like trying to eat jello with chopsticks.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

A-Lert

What's interesting about your comment is, where was the GOP establishment fighting Obama? In '08 in '12, and throughout each of those administrations. Where was the fight?

But now they're willing to blow it all up because Donald Trump was insulting to a candidate he was running against?

Ooh, call out the PC police.

The GOP is a leaderless mass of do nothings. Where is the GOP fight against the Democrats?  The GOP just caves or rolls over.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The rule is quite clear of who would be eligible at this point in a brokered convention.  Trump is the only one, and it looks like Cruz could also qualify with them being the two eligible candidates.  As the rule states now, delegates could vote for either Trump or Cruz in that case.
That's nonsense. A brokered convention could, in theory, nominate anyone they want. Even if 40B were somehow enforced and Trump were the only one to be on the ballot, those opposed to him could abstain ad infinitum and prevent him from getting the nomination. Unlike a primary, "none of the above" counts in a convention, and there's no removing that choice from the ballot. He must get a majority of delegates, and if the RNC cannot get a candidate with a majority of delegates, it HAS to eventually come to a consensus on another candidate, which has (in the past) taken dozens of, if not over a hundred, ballots and yes, it would mean throwing out any artificial restrictions on nominating a candidate.

Do you think the RNC is going to say "Well, we've taken the ballot, and Trump's facing too much opposition to get the majority. Not enough delegates are willing to switch. Shouldn't we consider another name?" "OH NO! Rule 40B! Trump's the only candidate allowed! We keep voting until he gets the majority!"

Actually, given Trump's love of brute force, that would be totally what Trump and his delegates would insist upon, and it would make a total mockery of what's left of the Republican Party (as if it hasn't made a total mockery of itself yet).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Republican convention, Cleveland, 2016:

Offline Carling

That's nonsense. A brokered convention could, in theory, nominate anyone they want. Even if 40B were somehow enforced and Trump were the only one to be on the ballot, those opposed to him could abstain ad infinitum and prevent him from getting the nomination. Unlike a primary, "none of the above" counts in a convention, and there's no removing that choice from the ballot. He must get a majority of delegates, and if the RNC cannot get a candidate with a majority of delegates, it HAS to eventually come to a consensus on another candidate, which has (in the past) taken dozens of, if not over a hundred, ballots and yes, it would mean throwing out any artificial restrictions on nominating a candidate.

Do you think the RNC is going to say "Well, we've taken the ballot, and Trump's facing too much opposition to get the majority. Not enough delegates are willing to switch. Shouldn't we consider another name?" "OH NO! Rule 40B! Trump's the only candidate allowed! We keep voting until he gets the majority!"

Actually, given Trump's love of brute force, that would be totally what Trump and his delegates would insist upon, and it would make a total mockery of what's left of the Republican Party (as if it hasn't made a total mockery of itself yet).

I'm just posting what the existing rules state.  I fully expect the GOProgs to change the rules to allow a Kasich or a Romney a shot at the nomination.  I don't appreciate you calling me posting factual information "nonsense," by the way, and all you've offered are opinions and shots at Trump supporters.

You must be a very sad person.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:59:01 am by Carling »

Online libertybele

Congrats to all the Trump supporters.  I am just truly glad that Rubio is out. After tonight, it is going to be nearly impossible to catch Trump delegate wise. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Congrats to all the Trump supporters.  I am just truly glad that Rubio is out. After tonight, it is going to be nearly impossible to catch Trump delegate wise.

Thank you liberty.  I really mean it when I say that I hope - if Trump can win the presidency - that he nominates Ted Cruz for Supreme Court.  That would be most awesome!

:patriot:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

A-Lert

Graciously accepted. Time to get the train back on the tracks and move the country forward.

Bill Cipher

Yes, congratulations on throwing the easiest election in 100 years we could have won.  Let's all start practicing saying "President Clinton" again, or maybe even "President Sanders".  I wonder who the DNC vice president will be.

Offline Carling

Yes, congratulations on throwing the easiest election in 100 years we could have won.  Let's all start practicing saying "President Clinton" again, or maybe even "President Sanders".  I wonder who the DNC vice president will be.

Are you confused?  It's 2016, not 2012.

Offline sinkspur

Graciously accepted. Time to get the train back on the tracks and move the country forward.

You've been here two weeks.  And you're accepting kudos?

I'm sure glad you came along.

I'm no longer the biggest sonofabitch on the forum.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

A-Lert

What has Hillary intimated to you?

A-Lert

You've been here two weeks.  And you're accepting kudos?

I'm sure glad you came along.

I'm no longer the biggest sonofabitch on the forum.

Don't shortchange yourself.