Author Topic: Trump Falsely Claims He 'Never' Said McCain Wasn't a Hero  (Read 1248 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump Falsely Claims He 'Never' Said McCain Wasn't a Hero
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:59:47 am »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2001538/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=20160313_TWS-blog-trump-war-hero-deny-1_twitter&utm_content=TWS

Trump Falsely Claims He 'Never' Said McCain Wasn't a Hero

9:41 PM, MAR 13, 2016 | By SHOSHANA WEISSMANN

During a rally in Ohio on Sunday, a man asked Donald Trump about his comments about Senator John McCain's time as a POW.

In July, Trump said, "He's not a war hero ... He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

During the rally on Sunday, a man said to Trump, "I come here because you made a comment to John McCain that you don't think that captured soldiers are heroes—"

Trump interjected, "oh no no no I was, I never did that—"

The man went back to explaining. "What I want you to do, is just clarify that for me because I think it's important for all these people here, and for a lot of veterans in Ohio—especially Ohio—and I know what you were doing—"

Trump interjected, "you know exactly when I was doing. But they are heroes, just so you understand, they are real heroes. Thank you."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:00:07 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Falsely Claims He 'Never' Said McCain Wasn't a Hero
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:00:40 am »
Trump is a habitual liar and habitual liars lie habitually.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 01:09:08 am »
"Donald is a believer in the big-lie theory, If you say something again and again, people will believe you.” - Donald Trump's lawyer in a 1990 Vanity Fair interview.

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/07/donald-ivana-trump-divorce-prenup-marie-brenner 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:11:15 am »
I saw that clip on the news. Caught in a bald-face lie, and to a Vet no less,  but the Trumpsters just don't care. Lying to a vet is justified if Trump does it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:28 am »
Trump is just like Hussein; he takes no responsibility and is not accountable for his actions or words.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 03:04:56 am »
Immediately modifying his original remarks, Trump said, "He's a war hero 'cause he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?"

"Perhaps he's a war hero, but right now he's said some very bad things about a lot of people," Trump said.

Trump never said McCain wasn't a war hero in these comments.  He actually calls McCain a "war hero" quite literally.  You can argue about his opinion of liking people that weren't captured, but he does call McCain a "war hero."

Another lie from the GOProgs.  An endless trail of lies and deceit. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:06:40 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

HonestJohn

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 03:26:03 am »
"Donald is a believer in the big-lie theory, If you say something again and again, people will believe you.” - Donald Trump's lawyer in a 1990 Vanity Fair interview.

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/07/donald-ivana-trump-divorce-prenup-marie-brenner

This is very, very true.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 03:28:28 am »
Trump never said McCain wasn't a war hero in these comments.  He actually calls McCain a "war hero" quite literally.  You can argue about his opinion of liking people that weren't captured, but he does call McCain a "war hero."

No, he says "Perhaps he's a war hero".

That's not the same as saying he is a war hero.  He's injecting doubt as to the validity of McCain being one.  "Perhaps" he is... "perhaps" he isn't.

Offline Carling

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 03:29:30 am »

That extremely ironic when you actually read that Trump did call McCain a war hero, and never said he wasn't a war hero.

Please provide a quote where Trump says McCain is not a war hero, and I'll apologize for calling you a liar.

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 03:34:40 am »
No, he says "Perhaps he's a war hero".

That's not the same as saying he is a war hero.  He's injecting doubt as to the validity of McCain being one.  "Perhaps" he is... "perhaps" he isn't.

No, he says McCain "is a war hero because he got captured."

Which is true.  The "perhaps" isn't the questioning form of that word, it affirmative because Trump then criticizes McCain later in the sentence. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:35:24 am by Carling »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 03:39:02 am »
No, he says McCain "is a war hero because he got captured."

Which is true.  The "perhaps" isn't the questioning form of that word, it affirmative because Trump then criticizes McCain later in the sentence.

Lets look at the whole quote..........

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Carling

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 03:41:23 am »

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

I stand corrected, but I'll add that Trump immediately then said McCain was a war hero.  McCain wasn't an exceptional pilot or student, but he survived 5 years of hell and is a hero to me for doing so.  Why he then went so anti-POW as a senator is something I"ll never understand, though.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 03:48:14 am »

Trump got three deferments during Vietnam War when McCain was languishing in a Viet Cong prison.  He said he had bone spurs.

Said bone spurs miraculously disappeared in 1976, after the Vietnam War ended.

Now he wants to order the same military he dodged to commit war crimes.

Gotta love that bold-faced arrogance and mendacity.

A-Lert

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 04:14:10 am »
Did Rubio, Cruz or Kasich serve in the US Military? What have they done to support the veterans of this country besides give them a broken VS system.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 04:14:36 am »

Utter bullshit. He specifically said he was NOT a war hero:

In July, Trump said, "He's not a war hero."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 04:15:33 am »
Did Rubio, Cruz or Kasich serve in the US Military? What have they done to support the veterans of this country besides give them a broken VS system.

No. But neither of the three have denigrated POW's.

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 04:45:18 am »
No. But neither of the three have denigrated POW's.

What have they done to assist POWs and wounded warriors? Which of them is working to clean up the disgusting VA mess?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 05:19:42 am »
Trump is a habitual liar and habitual liars lie habitually.

I'm starting to wonder if Trump is so disgusted in what he has said that he pretends he didn't say it?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 05:25:44 am »
What have they done to assist POWs and wounded warriors? Which of them is working to clean up the disgusting VA mess?

That's irrelevant here. The point of this thread is that Donny is now openly lying when he says he didn't slam POW's.

I believe you are forced to bring up non sequitors because you can't defend what Trump says anymore. Obfuscation is generally the last line of defense with the indefensible.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 05:28:55 am »
I saw what he said today, and it is not what is in the quotation marks as what he said today.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:29:44 am by Repub4Trump »

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 05:29:50 am »
I'm starting to wonder if Trump is so disgusted in what he has said that he pretends he didn't say it?

Look at his long career and pick up his books and you'll see a pattern, he calls it Truthful Hyperbole in The Art of the Deal. The truth is just what is advantageous for him at the time. He paints pictures to close the deal in front of him and reality only involves that deal. He looks at the truth differently than we do. He is the type to look you in your face and tell you that you are wonderful and the greatest, then turn around and to the next person, tell them you are awful and to him, it all is the truth because all that matters is closing the deal in front of him. The deal is the truth.

A-Lert

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 05:34:59 am »
That's irrelevant here. The point of this thread is that Donny is now openly lying when he says he didn't slam POW's.

I believe you are forced to bring up non sequitors because you can't defend what Trump says anymore. Obfuscation is generally the last line of defense with the indefensible.

It's very relevant. They are candidates and two are members of congress. What have any of them done for vets or cleaning up the VA mess. I know why you want it to be irrelevant. I've repeatedly asked for supporters of any other candidate to provide some of their candidates accomplishments and policies. So far it's a blank page. Maybe it's because there just aren't any accomplishments or policies..

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 05:35:36 am »
Look at his long career and pick up his books and you'll see a pattern, he calls it Truthful Hyperbole in The Art of the Deal. The truth is just what is advantageous for him at the time. He paints pictures to close the deal in front of him and reality only involves that deal. He looks at the truth differently than we do. He is the type to look you in your face and tell you that you are wonderful and the greatest, then turn around and to the next person, tell them you are awful and to him, it all is the truth because all that matters is closing the deal in front of him. The deal is the truth.

I can see that.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 05:47:38 am »
It's very relevant. They are candidates and two are members of congress. What have any of them done for vets or cleaning up the VA mess. I know why you want it to be irrelevant. I've repeatedly asked for supporters of any other candidate to provide some of their candidates accomplishments and policies. So far it's a blank page. Maybe it's because there just aren't any accomplishments or policies..

Bullshit bleep. I posted accomplishments that Cruz has under his belt for one of your cut and paste posts. You don't really give a shit as long as you are obfuscating the real issues being discussed. I see no routine posts from you on the topic of the VA if it is that important to you.

How about manning up and answering a question germain to this discussion:

Do you believe as Donald Trump has stated that POW's are not hero's because they were captured?

A-Lert

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 06:49:43 am »
Bullshit bleep. I posted accomplishments that Cruz has under his belt for one of your cut and paste posts. You don't really give a shit as long as you are obfuscating the real issues being discussed. I see no routine posts from you on the topic of the VA if it is that important to you.

How about manning up and answering a question germain to this discussion:

Do you believe as Donald Trump has stated that POW's are not hero's because they were captured?

I missed it. Where is it? How do I find it?

I don't make routine posts. But I can inundate the forum with horror stories. Where would you like me to begin?

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/veterans-healthcare-Phoenix-VA/2014/05/19/id/572075/

http://thetruthwins.com/archives/the-horror-of-government-run-veteran-health-care

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2050060961001/m/1170007581001

I understand what Trump is doing and he's successful in getting attention. That's why he's leading and why he's being attacked. The other candidates are responding with negatives. Wrong move.