Author Topic: The Parties Are Over...By Jim Geraghty  (Read 206 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Parties Are Over...By Jim Geraghty
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:45 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/432514/print

The Parties Are Over
We could see three-quarters of Americans dissatisfied on election night.
By Jim Geraghty — March 8, 2016

For a long time, the question “why doesn’t the United States have a multiparty system?” had an obvious answer: Unlike other Western democracies, America’s political factions coalesced into the two major parties, noisily agreeing to move the country in a generally more conservative or a generally more liberal position. These factions may have chafed at each other, but they generally saw each other as irritable (and irritating) allies, not enemies indistinguishable from the opposition party.

Until now.

There have always been primary fights and rivalries, but the fights within the Democrats and Republicans this cycle are as intense as the partisan divisions were in past ones. More important, they’re not just about personality or style. Within the parties, primary voters are choosing among extremely different visions and policy ideas. Chunks of each party are looking at their traditional allies and asking just what interests and ideas they really have in common any more.

Heading into Tuesday’s primaries, more than 15.8 million people have voted for the five leading candidates. Each candidate has won anywhere from a quarter to a seventh of all the votes cast so far.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: The Parties Are Over...By Jim Geraghty
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:52:24 pm »
In the Trump faction’s vision, Ted Cruz is part of the Washington establishment because he is a senator. For Trump and members of this faction, there’s barely an acknowledgement of Congress; there’s no promise to introduce a bill and then do the painstaking work to ensure its passage; promises are made with the breezy “we’re gonna,” and the fulfillment of the promise will come so fast, “your head will spin.” Everyone is expected to fall in line and salute: “Paul Ryan, I don’t know him well, but I’m sure I’m going to get along great with him. And if I don’t, he’s going to have to pay a big price, okay?”

In other words, nearly all of what Trump promises is nonsense.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.