Author Topic: Pavlich: Decrying the GOP establishment is a lazy argument  (Read 2444 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Pavlich: Decrying the GOP establishment is a lazy argument
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »
Well worth reading the full article.

::SNIP::

When Texas Sen. Ted Cruz won Oklahoma on Super Tuesday, the reddest state in the country (really, every single county went red in the last presidential election) I wondered, “Are the people of Oklahoma the ‘establishment,’ since they didn’t make Donald Trump the winner? After all, Trump is supposedly bucking the ‘establishment.’ ”

For months now Trump supporters have hurled the allegation of “establishment” against any Republican who dares to oppose The Donald, ignoring not only the state of the race but how the remaining GOP candidates secured their political seats in the first place. ....

http://thehill.com/opinion/katie-pavlich/272116-pavlich-decrying-the-gop-establishment-is-a-lazy-argument?platform=hootsuite

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Pavlich: Decrying the GOP establishment is a lazy argument
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:31:13 pm »
Nice article.

It'll be ignored though - can't lose a precious shibboleth!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
Well worth reading the full article.

::SNIP::

Nope not really. Just more of the same emotionalism  pretending to be "thought'.

What is a lazy argument is ignoring that one of the principal points from Cruz is that he is "running against the DC Cartel". So both leading candiates, who are far and way ahead, are running on an "Anti Establishment" platform.

So once again the self styled "smart" people simply ignore the uncomfortable facts to cling to their lazy emotion based opinions about Trump.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »
Nice article.

It'll be ignored though - can't lose a precious shibboleth!

Exactly.

Like you, the author of this piece simply ignores the inconvenient facts to cling to an emotion based "precious shibboleth"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:42:52 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »
As are you, Johnnie.

You constantly ignore Trump's dealings with and position in the same cartel you despise. You excuse it with such phrases as "It's business" and "Who better to dismantle it than one who knows it?"

Is Trump - the business and brand - closing it's doors?

No. His kids will be running it (Ha!) if he gets elected. So you are relying on a guy who's entire family benefits from the "establishment" way of doing things to kill his own legacy.

Pure emotion.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:10 pm »
I see it is cling to an emotion based argument rather then think again.

Very well.

Despite promising significant movement on issues the GOP Voters were concerned about in 2010 and 2014, the GOP Establishment has made zero progress towards accomplishing any of their stated goals. On Budget issues they have blanket surrender to Obama's agenda without even bothering to fight for anything their voters asked them to do.

Please explain, given that record, how it is a "lazy argument" to want to hold the GOP Establishment accountable for their actions but it is not a "Lazy Arugement" to want to dismiss all valid critic of the GOPE with nothing but vapid slogans and emotional statement of opinion?

The GOPE should be thanking GOD voter are willing still to  give them another shot at redemption rather then just dismissing the GOP as a hapless corrupt unless poltical appendage of by gone times.

A-Lert

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:19 pm »
As are you, Johnnie.

You constantly ignore Trump's dealings with and position in the same cartel you despise. You excuse it with such phrases as "It's business" and "Who better to dismantle it than one who knows it?"

No. His kids will be running it (Ha!) if he gets elected. So you are relying on a guy who's entire family benefits from the "establishment" way of doing things to kill his own legacy.

Pure emotion.

Emotion isn't a bad thing if it isn't an overriding factor in judgements.  Why is the anti-Trump emotion so visible. There is very little emotion displayed toward all other candidates here including the opposition (Hillary/Bernie)  who we all should be attacking.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:52:06 pm »
You miss a rather obvious point. I am not defending Trump. I don't. What I have been doing is chastising the intellectually lazy overtly emotional attacks on Trump.

What too many people around here fail to realize is that "scorched earth" politics in primary is the tactics of political imbeciles. You got to live with the opposition afterwards. The other problem is you may lose, and having talked yourself so rhetorically far out on a limb you have no chance of walking it back.

Team Cruz and the "Purity Choir" around here have burned so many poltical bridges with these "personal attack always" posting tactics,  there is almost no chance for them to fix them. That is really bad politics. You don't win National Elections with the choir. 

And at the end of the day, the goal is to defeat the Democrats in Nov. To accomplish that your going to need many of the same voter Team Cruz and the Purity Choir are so busy around here insulting daily.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 09:24:57 pm »
Team Cruz and the "Purity Choir" around here have burned so many poltical bridges with these "personal attack always" posting tactics,  there is almost no chance for them to fix them. That is really bad politics. You don't win National Elections with the choir. 

And at the end of the day, the goal is to defeat the Democrats in Nov. To accomplish that your going to need many of the same voter Team Cruz and the Purity Choir are so busy around here insulting daily.

And referring to voters Trump is going to need as "The Purity Choir" is really going to motivate them to get out and vote for someone they dislike intensely? Both sides are playing scorched earth here.

It's equally retarded by both sides since - as you VERY correctly point out - each side needs the other to get rid of the damned "business as usual" mindset that DC has. I don't think it's doable at all now - it's too entrenched and too cunning in it's corruption. How many Tea party favorites survived their exposure to the beast? I think maybe one.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:31:02 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 09:34:40 pm »
Only if you're in the tank for the GOPe. Pavlich was one of the authors in the National Review hit piece on Trump.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

A-Lert

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:37 pm »

cadof
http://cadof.tumblr.com/

This blog is for Americans who are tired of right wing bigotry and hate that's filled the air waves lately. Civil debate welcomed.

Absolutely HILARIOUS!!!!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 10:15:07 pm »
Only if you're in the tank for the GOPe. Pavlich was one of the authors in the National Review hit piece on Trump.

This was her rather brief entry in that symposium:

KATIE PAVLICH

Given the high stakes both at home and abroad, America cannot afford to elect a man who is not rooted in conservatism. And Donald Trump, a political con man who sympathizes with hit man Vladimir Putin and “Republicans” such as Charlie Crist*, manifestly is not.   

Trump has made a living out of preying on and bullying society’s most vulnerable, with the help of government. He isn’t an outsider, but rather an unelected politician of the worst kind. He admits that he’s bought off elected officials in order to get his way and that he has openly abused the system.   

The rabid defense he gets from some quarters is astonishing. Trump’s liberal positions aren’t in the distant past — he has openly promoted them on the campaign trail. Trump isn’t fighting for anyone but himself, which has been his pattern for decades.   

Conservatives have a serious decision to make. Do we truly believe in our long-held principles and insist that politicians have records demonstrating fealty to them? Or are we willing to throw these principles away because an entertainer who has been a liberal Democrat for decades simply says some of the right things?   

In short, do our principles still matter? A vote for Trump indicates the answer is “No.”

Read more at: http://c7.nrostatic.com/article/430126/donald-trump-conservatives-oppose-nomination

* -- I seem to recall Crist being so demoralised after he got thumped out of his Senate race, after Tea Party activists poured
into that Florida race and got behind Marco Rubio, that he switched to the Democratic Party.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:15:36 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 10:23:51 pm »
This was her rather brief entry in that symposium:

* -- I seem to recall Crist being so demoralised after he got thumped out of his Senate race, after Tea Party activists poured
into that Florida race and got behind Marco Rubio, that he switched to the Democratic Party.

If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong, Crist first went independent, then registered as a Dim.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 10:28:33 pm »
If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong, Crist first went independent, then registered as a Dim.

He went "unaffiliated" to finish his campaign, then became a Democrat after the general election;
his formal coming out was at the 2012 Democratic National Convention, sort of, but he announced
his official party switch later in 2012.

Crist ran for his old gubernatorial job as a Democrat in 2014 and lost, making him the holder of a rare
triple crown: he's lost Florida general elections as a Republican, a Democrat, and an unaffiliated
candidate.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

HonestJohn

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 12:02:50 am »
You miss a rather obvious point. I am not defending Trump. I don't. What I have been doing is chastising the intellectually lazy overtly emotional attacks on Trump.

What too many people around here fail to realize is that "scorched earth" politics in primary is the tactics of political imbeciles. You got to live with the opposition afterwards. The other problem is you may lose, and having talked yourself so rhetorically far out on a limb you have no chance of walking it back.

Yes, and the Trump side has scorched the earth and salted the ground.  After all, the supporters of Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich aren't calling to destroy the GOP.  The Trump side has and continues to even now.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:04:08 am by HonestJohn »

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 12:12:42 am »
Yes, and the Trump side has scorched the earth and salted the ground.  After all, the supporters of Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich aren't calling to destroy the GOP.  The Trump side has and continues to even now.

Yup, and like them or not the "GOPe" is the only thing standing in the way of a full takeover of the USSC by the left.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 12:33:24 am »
cadof
http://cadof.tumblr.com/

This blog is for Americans who are tired of right wing bigotry and hate that's filled the air waves lately. Civil debate welcomed.

Absolutely HILARIOUS!!!!

I don't CARE what the source of it is! The CONTENT of the graphic I posted is 100% correct!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 12:36:40 am »
I don't CARE what the source of it is! The CONTENT of the graphic I posted is 100% correct!

Hi, Bigun.  What do you think about Cruz locking arms with the Bushes?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 12:40:48 am »

I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about here.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 12:52:31 am »
I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about here.

Jeb's brother joined Cruz's finance team.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,197793.0.html

(Hope that's the right link  ^-^ )

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 12:54:29 am »
Better a Bush than a Clinton, or Obama.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 01:00:08 am »
Nope not really. Just more of the same emotionalism  pretending to be "thought'.

What is a lazy argument is ignoring that one of the principal points from Cruz is that he is "running against the DC Cartel". So both leading candiates, who are far and way ahead, are running on an "Anti Establishment" platform.

So once again the self styled "smart" people simply ignore the uncomfortable facts to cling to their lazy emotion based opinions about Trump.
That's the whole point of Miss Pavlich's column.

However, note one other thing: the rest of their records (something Pavlich touches on). Cruz has a record not only of having the establishment hate him, but fighting for conservative causes, especially some pretty big ones (like Obamacare). Compare to Trump, whose record is... well... he doesn't really have one. He went from a conservative in 1988, to a liberal in 2000, and now in 2016 he's a nationalist. His only record is building a brand around his last name—not exactly the kind of approach one needs when leading a country; like brain surgeon Ben Carson, you can be very good at certain things but not be right for the job of being President.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 01:00:10 am »
Better a Bush than a Clinton, or Obama.

Nope.  They're all in the globalist club.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 01:11:09 am »
As are you, Johnnie.

Pure emotion.

Trump didn't invent the system. He had to play within the system if he wanted to succeed in building great things.

No businessman wants to be in the position of having to grease the palms of politicians -- but that's the game politicians set up. It's inefficient and wrong. And Donald Trump wants it to end. That's part of what motivated his campaign.

Go back to 1988 on YouTube. Listen to what Trump was saying then and you'll get the jist of what is motivating his presidential run now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:15:31 am by aligncare »